Forum Index > Trip Reports > Stimpson Nature Reserve (Bham, 05/16/09)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostWed Jul 15, 2009 11:34 pm 
After hearing about this trail from a couple of Bellingham locals, I finally had the opportunity to visit this trail one sunny Saturday in May. The trail is located just west of Lake Whatcom, about 15 minutes away from I-5 via the Lakeway Exit in Bellingham. There are two connected loops here that total about 4.5 miles. Mild elevation gain for Cascade standards, but there are enough troughs, valleys and ridges throughout the area that it's easy to get a decent workout on the trail. In fact, this is a popular trail run route for locals into that sort of thing. Not showing on the map is that there is a connector trail that heads south to one of the Sudden Valley neighborhoods (I didn't follow that route however).
Stimpson map
Stimpson map
trail signage 2
trail signage 2
There is an informational sign near the trail head describing a little about the trail.
Trail info - signage
Trail info - signage
There were few bugs and the trail was easy to follow and only a few people were on on the trail today. Here are a few photos from the trail.
Trail (big loop)
Trail (big loop)
pond 1
pond 1
pond 2
pond 2
This is a nice local hike, but the views are limited. My recommendation is to save it for first-time hikers short on time... or use it on a really wet day to test out your rain gear. Happy Trails! ~E

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Alpendave

Alpendave
PostThu Jul 16, 2009 12:04 am 
Nice post. I used to live in Sudden Valley. From our house, it was only a 10-15 minute walk to the connector trail. I used to do this hike a lot when we lived there. Dave

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message