Forum Index > Food & Grub > Cheese?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostThu Jul 16, 2009 6:25 pm 
As Sarbar said, wax is a good idea. I actually use the baby bonbels quite often, Trader Joes sells them less expensively. For longer trips a small wheel in wax is nice, PCC sells a good cheddar in black wax - but that one's kinda pricy.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostThu Jul 16, 2009 7:44 pm 
I just carry blocks of sharp cheddar. I guess I'm completely un-picky, but it doesn't bother me when the cheese gets melty or oily. The flavor is still good, and it's totally edible.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
rocketparrotlet
Custom Text

rocketparrotlet
Custom Text
PostTue Jul 21, 2009 10:03 pm 
sarbar wrote:
You can always cut your cheese into 1 or 2 ounce blocks and then dip into paraffin or beeswax to make little cubes to take with you.
What a wonderful idea! I will have to try that. -Mark

Always looking for a climbing/scrambling partner!
ldyblade

ldyblade
PostSun Jul 26, 2009 8:35 pm 
I always carry cheese. I cut it at home in nice, thicker than normal slices and use wax paper to seperate the slices and a larger piece to wrap the whole thing before putting it in a sandwich bag. It makes it easier to deal with when it gets warm. I pack it in the middle of my food so it stays cool longer. I break a slice up to go in my black bean tortillas, I use it to stuff my bread rolls, and it is good in my pasta sauce. I second the whole quality cheese thing. Cheap cheese ain't so good on the trail...

Outdoor Cat

Outdoor Cat
PostTue Dec 08, 2009 4:35 pm 
Aerosol, baby!
Backpacking is no picnic. We don't carry brandy snifters, we don't carry salad forks. No way will I bring a napkin. When I want the CHEESE experience without the slime, I carry EASY CHEESE by Kraft. Goes great with crackers, or on a (pre-cleaned) finger or knife. lol.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Dec 08, 2009 4:46 pm 
Re: Aerosol, baby!
Easy Cheese actually isn't aerosol. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easy_Cheese And it gums up in freezing temps as well. Not that I have any personal experience with sitting on a can trying to warm it up under my butt. clown.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostThu Dec 10, 2009 11:24 am 
I like blocks of parmesan, which may fail the "not too strong" requirement, but being a drier cheese, it holds up better in warm weather. I also take it sea kayaking, where it can last over a week. Even though a lot of people think of parmesan as solely something you'd grate over spagetti, it's actually one of my favorite cheeses to eat plain.

stephen293

stephen293
PostMon Mar 15, 2010 12:52 pm 
MRE Jalapeno Cheese Spread! (or Bacon Cheddar if you have to resort to alternatives) ...of course your stomach will not be as grateful. smile.gif

nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostMon Mar 15, 2010 1:39 pm 
Speaking of cheese, anyone have any experience with how well goat cheese keeps on backpacking trips? I'm not thinking the really loose, crumbly kind, but like a goat montery jack (that stuff's good). (Back story: it appears that though I was right about not feeling well eating cow's milk in most any more (casein intolerance, not lactose), but I appear to be able to tolerate some goat milk (which has a fairly different ratio of subtypes of casein, and it's apparently not unusual to be primarily sensitive to one type).) So, anyone carry goat cheese around backpacking? (I'm looking at you, goat-keepers. smile.gif And keeping fingers crossed.)

hollysthebest

hollysthebest
PostMon Apr 12, 2010 11:18 am 
I always take The Laughing Cow cheese wedges in the original creamy swiss flavor... It doesn't have many calories so it's not super great as trail food but it just makes me happy and it's delicious. :) Best of all does not need to be refrigerated! Laughing Cow and some crackers, Mmmm! Also, the baby bel ones wrapped in the red wax are great too!

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Apr 12, 2010 12:04 pm 
The Laughing Cow ones work well stirred into meals also - it melts instantly. And they are bringing new flavors out as well!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostSun May 09, 2010 9:15 pm 
Nuclear Eggset - We carry the goat gouda from Trader Joe's hiking and it holds up just fine. I haven't tried it backpacking (can't even remember the last time I went our backpacking - probably college). I have noticed when I've left some out in the house (like not cleaned up after a trip), it does get moldy in a few days. Probably worth a try! By the way, my kids are sensitive to cow milk, but do fine with goat cheese and yogurt (they won't drink the goat milk).

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
blucruisin

blucruisin
PostWed May 26, 2010 10:11 am 
We've discovered that if you wrap your cheese (even cheddar) in cheesecloth dampened with vinegar it can keep up to 10 days or so without refrigeration. Spent 9 days paddling the Bowron Lakes and ate cheese every day. Cheers!

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostWed May 26, 2010 1:31 pm 
Hard cheeses keep for a long time. Wrap in cheesecloth (not plastic; you want the surface to be dry) and trim off any mold that forms. That's how people kept cheese in the days before refrigeration.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostWed May 26, 2010 9:10 pm 
I usually have the white cheddar that is aged 2 years....the cheese cloth thingy sounds great , I usually only have cheese for the first 3 days, but now can take a little extra for the fourth and 5th days...