Forum Index > Trip Reports > A Half Brother and Some Quiet Dudes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
WxMan

WxMan
PostMon Jul 20, 2009 3:54 pm 
A little late on the post, but better late than never, and hey, I'm new at this. After scrubbing the Pugh hike last Sunday due to the lousy weather, ended up opting to head west to the Olympics in search of some better conditions the following day. Figured on some drizzle and clouds down low, but by the afternoon it looked good for some clearing so the plan was set... off to the Brothers. Turned out to be a bit more of a leisurely start to the morning (departed Seattle 8am) than I had hoped... and as it turned out the weather was not improving as quickly as i had hoped either (drizzle/rained out there all day). But I figured to make the best of the situation, get in some miles on the trail and see what there was to see. Didn't end up starting the hike until close to noon and basically knew that the Brothers summit was out of reach for the day. Decided to head up through the Valley of Silent Men (the Quiet Dudes) and see how far up the mountain I could get before my arbitrary turn-back time. Pounded trail up to Lena Lake and onward to the Lena Forks CG area in about 2hrs 30min. Pressed onward through the NW forking creek and found the trail of flagging up the scramble route. Ended up heading to near the top of the lower gully before the traverse over to the nose before running short on time, and calling it a day (Half Brother). Weather did not cooperate as I was in a constant drizzle almost the entire time, and the vegetation provided the rest of the dampness when the drizzle would let up. Headed back down around 3:30 after a snack and a break. All in all it ended up being a good scouting trip, as I've not been to that area before. Will be trying to head back and tackle the last portion of the S Summit sometime this fall, but probably will do it as an overnight at Lena Forks. Pics are limited as the damp conditions kept the camera in my pack most of the time.
Valley of Silent Men
Valley of Silent Men

"Nature is orderly. That which appears to be chaotic in nature is only a more complex kind of order." -- Snyder WxMan= 'Weatherman' for those unaware
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostTue Jul 21, 2009 11:58 pm 
Allright for a first TR. More drama next time, please. hockeygrin.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message