Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mount Rainier Attempt
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostMon Jul 20, 2009 5:10 pm 
As for me being upset on the mountain, it was indeed not in vain! I was reading the bible today and found a very interesting quote. "Not only so, but we also rejoice in our suufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us." -Romans 5:3-5:5 It takes sometimes suffering for me to realize the truth of which is taking place. When I suffer, it also makes me stronger spiritually. After this I often find a new hope, when one door closes another one opens. I feel and perhaps fear that Mark might not forgive me, but I try to see if I can still do something nice for him. To me there are three main ways of dealing with a problem :Causing it, ignoring or running away from it, or solving it. I used to be the guy who would run away from my problems, but now I seek a new idea, fixing the problem. I guess I'm not professional enough for Mark, or perhaps am not smart enough, but I'll just have to do better in the future and hope for the best.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostMon Jul 20, 2009 5:11 pm 
tazz wrote:
how did you get invited josh? cc?
Sorta... Chris saw my site from which he found on cc, emailed me though that and asked the question. And you guys know I am bad about resisting horribly good offers.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Tazz

Tazz
PostMon Jul 20, 2009 5:22 pm 
I guess my point is josh... you come off like you can do the climbing when you can't folks don't know till they get out with you. You post and noone know that you are just a hiker. Look at it from your partners side ok.... 1. mark could have and would have summited if you had been ready and experienced enough to climb. 2. The two dudes who, i am sure read the thread on cc, thought they would be kind and get ya out and see what you can do and see if you could make it up. 3. They took their time and effort to lead you up. Only to find out you are NOT ready to climb peaks like this. 4. The partner who told you you could not go was probably feeling crappy about you not able to and him having to tell you!! That would suck for him. 5. Partners in climbing share gas!! no free rides josh....life is not free and without effort by YOU. You can't follow people around in the mountains and just call yourself a climber. You have to get t he education without putting the burden on your partners. It bet it all sucked for them too....Stop the self pity crap.

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostMon Jul 20, 2009 5:27 pm 
tazz wrote:
I guess my point is josh... 5. Partners in climbing share gas!! no free rides josh....life is not free and without effort by YOU. You can't follow people around in the mountains and just call yourself a climber. You have to get t he education without putting the burden on your partners. It bet it all sucked for them too....Stop the self pity crap.
What the heck? I offered them money! I offered to pay for the food, they were really nice. I offered to pay for gas. What do you mean self pity crap.... what gave you that idea. It did not all suck for me. I enjoyed the view at Camp, I lived and learned, infact I think the experience was worth it. I'm sure it did not suck for them as well, they summited, seemed pretty happy. Mark I think was probably the one thinking this wasn't worth it. If I knew what I would gain from this, I would most certainly of done it. So if I can't be a climber though experience, and Mark tells me I should not join the mountaineers, and that you can't learn everything though books, I guess then It would be nearly impossible for me to be a climber. Mark is a good teacher, he said he would teach me, although I'm not sure if he would want to anymore.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon Jul 20, 2009 6:56 pm 
This is one of those threads where I think I should probably not read the rest, but keep reading anyway. Kind of like rubbernecking at accidents on the highway or something.
tazz wrote:
Partners in climbing share gas!! no free rides ...
Not sure about gas in particular, but I've heard tell that the esteemed author of the Cascade Alpine Guide has been notorious for his freeloading skills. Some folks from the ACC would supposedly still love to collect for the free heli ride and so forth that he somehow wrangled to the site of at least one of their general whatevertheycallit camps. And I've heard other similar stories from folks closer to home. So mayhaps Josh is simply going right to the top for his climbing role models clown.gif But as long as I'm chiming in w/the wisecrack, I have to agree that, at least generally, sharing gas cost is pretty much standard these days.

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostMon Jul 20, 2009 7:00 pm 
So was I supposed to force them to keep the money? I asked him, he said no, I asked are you sure, he said no again.... and this happend on the way there and the way back.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon Jul 20, 2009 7:07 pm 
Certainly not what I was suggesting - my comment was more about the supposed irony you pointed out in your OP, as I didn't want you to mistconstrue my tale of the freeloading climber as a suggestion of a role model for you wink.gif . No, sounds like the guys who got you up on the mountain and bought you dinner and paid for gas were gracious and it sounds like you did the right thing in offering to pay. And it sounds like Mark's dad was executing standard operating procedure.

Karen

Karen
PostMon Jul 20, 2009 7:12 pm 
Hey Josh, I've been looking over your photographs - you've off to a great start regarding photography. Perhaps as you hone your climbing skills you could spend more time with your photography because I you have talent. You've got the makings of a great photographer. It's uncanny how at your age you have such a knack for composition and framing your shots. While I don't spend much time on NW Hikers I do know that your friends - as well as those who don't know you - are only "critical" of your adventures because they don't want you to come to a bad end. I remember what it's like to be 16. I know how strong the call from mountains, poetry or photography can be. It's hard to wait, hard to sit still. But slow down you must. You have the rest of your life and you have decades ahead of you where you can climb, market your photography, perhaps even refine your writing skills (there's some potential there, too!). Take care, Josh Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon Jul 20, 2009 7:37 pm 
Josh wrote:
What do you mean self pity crap... what gave you that idea.
Your trip report. In fact, the majority of your trip reports follow the same sort of pattern. 1. You go on and on about how horrible it was, how sad you were, how unfair it was, how they just didn't want to share the mountain with you. But there's some shred of good in there that ultimately made it ALL worthwhile for you. 2. People explain the mistakes you made, recite the litany of stupid decisions and what should have been done instead, why the actions of others were actually fairly logical and in your (and their own) best interests. 3. You respond with volleys of overwhelming remorse and contrition. Say you are a new man, you've totally changed, things will be different this time, you have totally, completely, 100% matured, and that you have a new perspective on life which means everyone should now want to go on a trip with you. 4. And then occasionally you ping the old thread to make sure it doesn't die and get a whole new round of criticisms and offer up another serving of 'my bad!'
Josh wrote:
I'm sure it did not suck for them as well, they summited, seemed pretty happy. Mark I think was probably the one thinking this wasn't worth it.
Trust me. It sucked for all of them.
Josh wrote:
So if I can't be a climber though experience.
SHIITE. No one's telling you that. We're saying that instead of "learning to drive" by entering the Indy f'ing 500, you really should enroll in freaking driving school. HOW DIFFICULT IS THAT TO COMPREHEND? Even if you're dead set against taking a course, you will pick up similar skills by starting slow, and trying progressively more difficult destinations with a variety of partners. You'll learn something new from every trip, a different perspective from every partner. I'm not saying you need to stick to Tiger, Cougar, and Si, but for God sakesm, it'd take an idiot to believe he can safely stumble his way up and down Rainier just because he's wearing a harness and has an ice axe stowed safely away inside his pack.
Quote:
Mark tells me I should not join the mountaineers, and that you can't learn everything though books,
I doubt he really discouraged you from joining the Mountaineers. And he's right, you can't learn everything from books, but you can certainly learn quite a bit.
Josh wrote:
he said he would teach me, although I'm not sure if he would want to anymore.
I'm not sure why anyone would want to at this point. You've pretty much painted us all a picture of yourself as a nightmare of a partner on a week-long trek to hell. Hopefully someone will be up to the challenge, but you really need to slow down, re-evaluate your current course, and realize that good things don't happen overnight: It's going to take some time before you're ready for Rainier and the other big peaks.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostMon Jul 20, 2009 8:33 pm 
Josh, I challenge you to go do some incredibly "boring" and "easy" hike, nice and relaxedly. Oh, let's say... Talapus and Ollalie Lakes. And enjoy it. I mean really ENJOY the hike, and find the SATISFACTION in doing it. Not "making it to Ollalie in an hour was awesome", but finding out how to be CONTENT with the WHOLE THING.

CRoberts

CRoberts
PostMon Jul 20, 2009 9:01 pm 
This is some pretty intense stuff here... All I can say is, listen to the old timers. I didn't once, and it bit me right in the butt.

fishonjoe

fishonjoe
PostMon Jul 20, 2009 10:04 pm 
Ok, I think it's all been said multiple times here on this thread and others regarding advising Josh, etc. Can we drop this now?? I think there's enough mentoring done here (including myself) that will overload the brain and cause mass hemorrhaging confused.gif Maybe we can move on now? dizzy.gif winksmile.gif

Doppelganger

Doppelganger
PostMon Jul 20, 2009 10:53 pm 

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostMon Jul 20, 2009 10:55 pm 
Dayhike Mike wrote:
Josh wrote:
I'm sure it did not suck for them as well, they summited, seemed pretty happy. Mark I think was probably the one thinking this wasn't worth it.
Trust me. It sucked for all of them. I'm not sure why anyone would want to at this point. You've pretty much painted us all a picture of yourself as a nightmare of a partner on a week-long trek to hell.
You don't know that, you were not there. mad.gif They seemed pretty happy, how can you judge that if you were not even there? Also I'm not as bad as you describe, I find it interesting when people look at all the bad of someone and paint an image in there head of an ugly monster. hmmm.gif Awwwww if you don't want to hike with me, thats fine. There are many people out there. Long trek though hell..... lol.gif no, I would take you though hell frozen over. clown.gif

Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostMon Jul 20, 2009 11:02 pm 
Totally by chance I happened to speak with someone who knows the army officers that Josh went with. From what I understand it thoroughly sucked for them. Here are the words this person used to describe the experience with Josh:
Quote:
Josh JUST WASN’T READY, he wasn’t properly conditioned, and they didn’t feel safe with him
The climbing world is a small world Josh. Lies have a way of revealing themselves. Stop your pity party, get some instruction and man up if you want to climb big mountains. You can't count on other people's abilities to overcome your own inabilities. It doesn't work that way.