Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mount Rainier Attempt
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostMon Jul 20, 2009 11:22 pm 
Josh wrote:
... all in all I think there nice guys, but I am uncertain of there dessicioun about not letting me summit.
You worried about them up on the mountain because someone on their rope team had no crevasse rescue training and you noted that they could potentially die due to that, yet you are uncertain of their decision to not include you? Have you taken a mixed mountaineering course or had training in rope work & rescue? Use the same logic for yourself as you do in assessing others and be certain that they made the correct call on keeping you in camp. I agree with Karen that you should continue to develop your photography skills, you seem to need a shift in focus to gain a bit of perspective. Photography may be a safer avenue for you right now and you could benefit from a positive use of your talent. Plus you may find a friendlier reception here on nwhikers if you quit posting trip reports that fly in the face of safety. ~Jo

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Jul 20, 2009 11:42 pm 
I agree, photography, yes, BTW Josh, Mt Forgotten has an awesome back drop, great place for pictures. So Josh, you became lost there are never made it to the top? I will be waiting to hear your trip report of Mt Forgotten summit. I hope to be up there in August, might see you there? ......Don't Forget! lol.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostMon Jul 20, 2009 11:52 pm 
Now I gotta do Forgotten... perhaps throw in Stilliguamish Peak as well....

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostTue Jul 21, 2009 9:05 am 
Absolutely! You hafta combine Stilliguamish with Forgotten. Then, why not hit Dickerman again on the way home? Wow. What a TR that would be! On the other hand, if you simply did Forgotten, you might end up with an enjoyable experience that would be easily within your abilities. You'd come home with lots of great photos, but you'd have little to brag about. No drama. No self-created crisis to overcome. What fun would that be? There's also the issue of finding a way to occupy your mind. If you had a hike that didn't require an epic effort, what would you do? How would you spend your time? Hell, you might just have to drink in and celebrate what the mountain has to offer, instead of using the mountain as a stage to celebrate you. There's a huge world that lies in between Meadowdale Park and Mt Rainier. It stands ready to be your library, concert hall, art pavilion, historical museum and church - all rolled into one. Next time you look at that helmet of yours, consider these words: "...When I climb I carry two figurative stones in my pockets. In one pocket is a stone to remind me that if I persevere through the physical struggle I will make it to the summit. The stone in the other pocket reminds me that every mountain will be there both tomorrow and for the rest of my life. Between these sidelines lie the playing field of mountaineering which I enjoy..." Next next time you're studying scripture, check out Luke 18:14. If you continue to use only one of your two stones, the mountains will humble you.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostTue Jul 21, 2009 9:47 am 
Josh, 1. First, how did you convince anyone to take you to Rainier. confused.gif 2. Why would even go to Rainier with someone you don't know that well? confused.gif 3. I hate to mention Johannesburg because you'll probably try to climb that? 4. Why do want to go to Rainier when you even finished off Adams?? 5. What is the rush here?? This criticism is not because I'm being mean, but as person who has hiked with you at least 7 times and is not liking the direction you are going. I am sorry you didn't make Rainier and that you and your climbing partner didn't see eye to eye on Camp Muir but this is not the way to go. Me and Gimpilator joked about you doing something like this and then you do it. I already received one phone call from your brother about the crazy bike ride and now this. What is next, you are going to convince someone to take you to Everest? If there is any way save for RMI or one other alpine club (and don't mention who you are). From experience, Rainier isn't the absolutely hardest, but without the true glacier climbing experience, knowledge of pacing and most of all good common sense it can kill you. I hate to see you loose your life but it looks like it is only a matter of time! shakehead.gif shakehead.gif As for the guy who took him there, one person on this forum was right show Josh what is needed before going up there. You can't assume someone has the experience to do a hard peak like Rainier unless you are willing to show him crevasse rescue, rope travel and other items. Josh for your sake your climbing partner my have got you killed. I do think it's poor taste to have Josh, who doesn't have much money put anything into this trip and as much as I am concerned with Josh, I am even more concerned with the leader. confused.gif confused.gif Josh, you might be heartbroken but you are alive. There is always Granite, Si, Tiger, Teneriffe, Frog Mountain and Snoqualmie Mountain.

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostTue Jul 21, 2009 10:05 am 
Actually Eastking I think it's less likely that Josh will die climbing. I think he's more likely to lose an unsuspecting teammate kind enough to take him along. Josh - Do your partners for Rainier know that your completely incapable of helping them if the sh## hits the fan this weekend? You don't know crevasse rescue so why do you require your ropemates to know it? So they can save your ass? Lame. down.gif I've lost all respect for you Josh. It's time that people stopped treating you with kidgloves. By the way - no crying with claims of how you're going to change. I don't think a whole lot of us want to hear it. Instead show us.

summithound
Climbing Connoisseur

summithound
Climbing Connoisseur
PostTue Jul 21, 2009 12:22 pm 
Josh, I kind of want to take you hiking.

Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Jul 21, 2009 12:41 pm 
I'm guessing everything that needs to be said has been covered in this and related threads. Time to lock them up.