Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt. Dickerman, 7-21-09
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ajax
stronger than dirt

ajax
stronger than dirt
PostTue Jul 21, 2009 7:50 pm 
Just came back from the dayhike up Mt. Dickerman. I apologize for the lack of visual entertainment; I'm way behind processing old photos and there are so many TRs for this trip that I'm sure their pictures will suffice. It was a warm day, but we got to the trailhead around 9:45 and there were around 6 cars in the lot. I don't think there were many more people than that in the lot the entire day. Far different than my experience yesterday at Pilchuck, I thought these mountains might see similar crowds but Pilchuck's crowds far surpassed Mt. Dickerman's. We actually were the only ones up on the summit for some time too. I was impressed with the hike from the beginning. The jaunt through the forest for the first couple of miles is truly lovely and I've definitely seen uglier beginnings to hikes. For some reason, this hike was much harder than I expected. I would have thought this hike would be much easier than Pugh, but today I was completely exhausted. It was also disheartening to think you are nearing the summit, then discover you have another mile and 1000' to go. With my hiking buddy we ended up taking about 4 hours to get to the top and about 2 hours to get back down. The way back down was nice--the last two miles from the top actually do have quite picturesque views of the trail with the mountains in the distance. However, it was still a rather enjoyable hike. I did find one blueberry bush which had several blueberries on it (and I sure enjoyed them), but of course every single other bush won't be ready for quite some time. I imagine this hike being a bit more pleasant in the fall, when it is cooler and I could snack on blueberries all the way up. Also, Columbine, Tiger Lilies (I think, maybe Glacier Lilies?), Phlox, Paintbrush, Mountain Bog Gentian?, Lupine, and others where blooming at various parts of the hike and made the trip a bit more interesting. But the views at the top did not disappoint and rivaled those of Mt. Pugh (not that it is very far away). I found Mt. Pugh a more interesting hike once one reached Stujack Pass (I love that ridge walk), but Dickerman's lower trail I thought a bit nicer. I grew weary as we reached the top, however, and though it was pretty, to me I don't think Dickerman quite makes the cut on the "I must take all my friends on this hike right now" hikes, but I think blueberries and cooler weather might help. That said, the trail is snow free. But next time I'll wait until the blueberries are out and the fall brings cooler weather and varied colors. I might switch off between doing this and Pugh every year, or something.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MidLifeHiker

MidLifeHiker
PostTue Jul 21, 2009 8:39 pm 
Thanks for the trip report, a friend of mine just asked me if the trail is snow free or not. Now I'll look like an expert. He has never hiked Dickerman so he is in for a big treat at the top. Mark

camut

camut
PostTue Jul 21, 2009 9:11 pm 
Dickerman is beautiful in the fall with the brilliant colors and the silver snags near the top. Try it again then for an entirely different experience.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostTue Jul 21, 2009 11:56 pm 
A winter day when the gate is still open is very nice also.