rockitbiker
Just wading bushes

rockitbiker
Just wading bushes
PostWed Jul 22, 2009 12:11 am 
Preacher Mtn 5,924 ft (TOPO! 24k) - 13 miles - 5550 ft elevation
Preacher Route
Preacher Route
Last week when this came up in conversation, I was pumped to make the trip to this little known peak in the heart of the Alpine Lakes Wilderness. hockeygrin.gif As we were looking for information on the hike, another trip report popped up with some good but limited beta on it, which just whet my appetite even more. Saturday was the day and hot was the forecast. Armed with the water pump and ice axe, Forty-n-Eight, Jaded, Fancy Dog and I head off for some adventure or maybe mis-adventure.
The Middle Fork meanders along
The Middle Fork meanders along
FnE rocks out the Gateway
FnE rocks out the Gateway
Rainy Creek winds thru second growth
Rainy Creek winds thru second growth
The trail starts off mild crossing the middle fork of the Snoqualmie on the Gateway Bridge. After crossing we quickly head south along the east bank searching for the famed Rainy Creek, which was less than a half-mile. We weren't sure what to expect, but what we got was wide crossing that was all braided and pretty dry to cross. up.gif Once across it was pretty easy to sniff out the Rainy Creek trail and start heading up to Rainy Lake.
The trail slowly climbs thru brush
The trail slowly climbs thru brush
Boulder hopping along the trail
Boulder hopping along the trail
The lush trailside
The lush trailside
FnE chillin by some old growth
FnE chillin by some old growth
The trail even has slab hopping
The trail even has slab hopping
Garfield pokes out thru the trees
Garfield pokes out thru the trees
The first half of the trail is through some second growth and bushy forest. It sort of meandered along the creek before hitting the old growth and then the trail turned a bit more vicious. The trail consisted on some washouts, boulder fields, stream crossings and one slab crossing. All in all it was in pretty good shape for an un-marked trail, well maybe on GT, but didn't have it. The second half of the trail did most of the elevation gain to the lake, which was a good way to get the heart going. Once up on the ridge of above Rainy Lake we were all excited to see the lake just a mere 100 ft below us.
The steamy Rainy Lake
The steamy Rainy Lake
Rainy Lake from the inlet end
Rainy Lake from the inlet end
At this point it was time to get some breakfast, pump some water and go sniff around a few stumps. Of course the Fancy Dog really enjoyed the stump sniffing, so we figured that would be where she would hang out with Jaded, while F-n-E and I decided to go see the Preacher. naughty.gif
Russian Butte from the ridge
Russian Butte from the ridge
FnE excited about more brush bashing
FnE excited about more brush bashing
The brush lets up around 5000 ft
The brush lets up around 5000 ft
A snow ramp to URL, we hope
A snow ramp to URL, we hope
Climbing the east ridge above URL
Climbing the east ridge above URL
Russian, Teneriff, Si over Pratt and Middle Snoqualmie valleys
Russian, Teneriff, Si over Pratt and Middle Snoqualmie valleys
Once packed, we found the least brushy slope and started working our way up the ridge just east of the lake across the outlet. Once past the initial huckleberry bushes and slide alder, the ridge started to relent a little turning into forest with some open areas or at least less brush. We kept gaining the ridge looking for a good sign to start making the traverse over to Upper Rainy Lake, which is what most references recommend (which now I totally concur with doof.gif ). Well as luck would have it, we didn't make the contour soon enough and ended up about 100 ft above the lake. Well see we had plenty of water from the lower Rainy Lake, we decided to see what the ridge east of URL had to offer. It definitely has some nice snow ramps to entice, so we just were lured up the ridge with perfect ramps only to get left high and dry on the ridge rant.gif , that’s what they mean by not a recommended route. Oh well, time to drop down a few hundred feet and try for another gully that will get us up and over the ridge we first wanted. We got lucky on the second try and crested onto a nice meadowy ridge walk up to the summit.
Don't go up this gully... its a bit airy
Don't go up this gully... its a bit airy
URL from the wrong gully
URL from the wrong gully
FnE not excited about dropping down and going around... can't blame him ooops
FnE not excited about dropping down and going around... can't blame him ooops
Horseshoe, Shamrock and Elbow Lakes from the meadowy ridge walk
Horseshoe, Shamrock and Elbow Lakes from the meadowy ridge walk
Garfield, Glacier and N. Cascades from the ridge
Garfield, Glacier and N. Cascades from the ridge
Hiked into this view at the summit
Hiked into this view at the summit
The summit was more brushy than I expected, but still was quite an awesome feeling after all the hiking and scrambling that went into the trip. Perfect place to drop packs and soak in the 360° views and eat lunch. We had fun checking out the benchmarks, signing logs and placing a register. After reading yet another report that there wasn't a register, I decided to get some bass tubing and paper up there so this cool view could be noted by any who felt like it, and what a view it was. Preacher sits one the edge of the ALW and there were plenty of lakes to check out. What an amazing area to just sit and look into and check out the many peaks we had been to before. We were both stunned at the profile of Kaleetan as it was one we had been to before and couldn't recognize it other than by its location. I now know why it is called Chair Peak wink.gif , what a striking resemblance.
Lake Caroline surrounded by Kaleetan, Chair, Roosevelt, Wright and Snoqualmie
Lake Caroline surrounded by Kaleetan, Chair, Roosevelt, Wright and Snoqualmie
Horseshoe Lake and the ALW
Horseshoe Lake and the ALW
Hatchet Lake with just the tip of Derrick Lake
Hatchet Lake with just the tip of Derrick Lake
rb does the Preacher... summit
rb does the Preacher... summit
After about an hour of lunch and views, it was time to head down and hopefully an easier trip with the recommended route scoped out. We were both quite happy with the route heading down the southern ridge of URL. It was mostly forest and meadows with a decent grade. We tried to find a way over to the snow for some plunge stepping, but ran into much resistance with postholes rant.gif into the boulders so we kept to the meadows and solid snow on the ground.
URL from the easier ridge south of URL
URL from the easier ridge south of URL
Approaching URL
Approaching URL
Once down at URL, it was time for another snack and some fresh water for our bottles, did I mention it was hot, but the ice floating in URL made it feel cooler. Once refreshed with snowmelt water, we started making the grade over to where we should have crossed over. We quickly found our trail up and tried to keep on it going down, sometimes finding easier slots and sometimes finding way too much brush... ooops we better go that way. The sun was getting lower at least giving us some relief and we were beating the lower brush out of our way in some thick patches, but then would open up to needled slopes. We even had some mini cone paths, which felt like hiking on eggshells. Again I agree, the brush just above lower Rainy Lake is a pain, but the rest of the hike/scramble is in pretty good shape.
URL iceberg
URL iceberg
Reflections in URL
Reflections in URL
Looking back at the easier ridge
Looking back at the easier ridge
Descending alpine country
Descending alpine country
Once back at the lower lake, we changed down to shorts and dropped out sweaty gaitors into the pack for a nice relief from the heat. Once back in the forested trail it was time to pick up the pace to race the hoards of biting flies and skeeters before they drew the last of our strength. We made good time down with plenty of light and were able to enjoy some tasty cold beverages down at the trailhead. drink.gif
Dropping down to the Middle Fork
Dropping down to the Middle Fork
What a perfect day out in the ALW, we didn't run into a soul the entire trip. It was very quiet out there with such a beautiful lake backdrop, I look forward to going back.

It's Sasquatch, not bigfoot, distant cousin of the Wookie.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostWed Jul 22, 2009 12:18 am 
Awesome work! Congrats on finding your way. up.gif What was the roundtrip time for you guys?

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed Jul 22, 2009 12:31 am 
Nicely done hike and report. This trail is not officially maintained, but on one of my walks exploring the area around Stegasaurus Butte I ran into the trail angel that keeps it cleared out. He's been hiking it all his life since the days it was a more popular destination, and doesn't want to see it disappear. He wouldn't give me his name or let me take a picture. I'm very appreciative of folks like this who step in where the FS is too bound up in budgets and red-tape to do anything.

rockitbiker
Just wading bushes

rockitbiker
Just wading bushes
PostWed Jul 22, 2009 5:57 am 
The total trip time was 13 hrs for us, 0715 to 2015. That did include an hour long break at lower Rainy Lake, an hour at the summit and 1/2 hour at URL. With all that figured in and the missed route finding up and down doof.gif , we figured it was about the average time for making the summit. I saw some of the more recent work by the trail angel on the Rainy Lake trail. There is a 1/2 mile of newer blowdown section on the trail which is well taped and under "construction". The angel definitely has been keeping up on it and a very worthy project indeed. up.gif

It's Sasquatch, not bigfoot, distant cousin of the Wookie.
gone

gone
PostWed Jul 22, 2009 10:30 am 
Congratulations! And thanks for sharing all the great details and pics! up.gif I've wanted to try this myself, at least to Rainy Lake, though the whack to URL sounds really interesting, too, and this may be just the thing to get me there. Thanks! smile.gif

Forty-n-Eight
Boldly going nowhere

Forty-n-Eight
Boldly going nowhere
PostWed Jul 22, 2009 11:06 am 
What a great day in the hills. Here are some more pics...
Rockitbiker heading up the Rainy Lake trail
Rockitbiker heading up the Rainy Lake trail
Rainy Lake
Rainy Lake
Heading up the (wrong) gully
Heading up the (wrong) gully
Upper Rainy Lake from the ridge
Upper Rainy Lake from the ridge
Rainier
Rainier
Alpine Lakes view - Roosevelt, Chair, Kaleetan, Caroline Lake
Alpine Lakes view - Roosevelt, Chair, Kaleetan, Caroline Lake
Pratt emptying into the Middle Fork
Pratt emptying into the Middle Fork
Glacier Peak
Glacier Peak
Benchmark
Benchmark
FnE atop Preacher
FnE atop Preacher
Rockitbiker above Upper Rainy Lake
Rockitbiker above Upper Rainy Lake
Upper Rainy Lake
Upper Rainy Lake
Alpine Lakes water - good to the last drop
Alpine Lakes water - good to the last drop
Rockitbiker and Garfiled
Rockitbiker and Garfiled
PreacherMap
PreacherMap

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - HST