Forum Index > Trip Reports > N Pickets - Furys, Luna, Challenger - July 14-21, 2009
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostWed Jul 22, 2009 11:49 am 
DHM, your comment is useless without LINKS!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostWed Jul 22, 2009 11:52 am 
<grin> Even with links my comments are still pretty useless. wink.gif I noted some difficulty with my sat phone on Sunday, so maybe the Globalstar coverage is getting worse. Looking forward to the launch of their new constellation.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostWed Jul 22, 2009 11:55 am 
Well, I have been noticing within the past 3 weeks that SPOT sends sporadically. I used to have 100% success rate, so I'm not sure what to think. I hope they get it fixed, it has been a useful tool for my purposes.

wamtngal

wamtngal
PostWed Jul 22, 2009 12:56 pm 
Awesome! up.gif up.gif Great achievements all around. I hope that when I'm 67 I will still be having adventures like Fay is. smile.gif That's my goal anyway. RE: SPOT -- I used mine yesterday and while it did not track (we were in trees and a gully most of the time), it did do an OK successfully on the summit of Baring. In fact, this was the first time it did not catch the satellite for a track, although the flashing green lights did not suggest it wasn't connecting with the satellite. Tom -- did you sign up for tracking or just the OK feature? If you aren't set up for tracking, you might be holding down the OK button too long so it thinks you are trying to track. I usually just press and then quickly depress the OK button to get the OK message to go out...if you press the OK button and keep holding it until the light goes out it turns on the tracking feature. Just an idea...

Opinions expressed here are my own.
Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostWed Jul 22, 2009 1:02 pm 
Well, I am doing what you describe, holding down the OK button until the green light starts to flash (which is what it tells me to do in the instruction manual). I did it this way before too, and it would always send out the messages. I think this problem might have more to do with the satellite system than anything else, but I'll try it your way next time to see if it makes a difference. Thanks for the heads up. up.gif

EF

EF
PostWed Jul 22, 2009 2:14 pm 
This is an amazing trip report. I rank it up with another one of your guys' accomplishments as among the most inspiring trip reports I've read: http://test.cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/811970/1 Thanks for a real treat.

Don

Don
PostWed Jul 22, 2009 5:01 pm 
Wowza! As I've already stated to you Tom, excellent trip report from an excellent area! Thank you for the eye candy and personal perspective from one of my favorite areas. Oh, and btw, you rock too! up.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jul 22, 2009 5:14 pm 
Krazie Klimbers! Great job Thomas. Nice work.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Karen²
A Real Canadian Girl

Karen²
A Real Canadian Girl
PostWed Jul 22, 2009 5:50 pm 
slobber.gif borank.gif Very very nice! Thanks for the views from this incredible terrain that most of us will never see. up.gif
Tom_Sjolseth wrote:
Fay’s bivy spot just below the summit of E Fury.
Fay’s bivy spot just below the summit of E Fury.
That looks...uhm...comfy. paranoid.gif lol.gif

I leave only footprints...and lens caps. http://weekendswithmarmots.zenfolio.com
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostWed Jul 22, 2009 6:42 pm 
Awesome report and pics up.gif up.gif How come Luna Creek didn't seem like a good escape route? I've thought about going in that way some day to check out the cirque

Eric Eames
Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostWed Jul 22, 2009 6:55 pm 
r2h, read the following for a great account of why not to go down (or up) Luna Creek! http://sabegg.googlepages.com/challenger An excerpt: I am at a loss for words to describe our experience in Luna Creek. So I will rely on Fred Becky. Fred and his brother Helmy were perhaps the first to bushwack down Luna Creek on their 10-day traverse from Nooksack River to Diablo Dam in 1940. In Challenge of the North Cascades, he describes their experience: After the worst imaginable struggle with flies, devil's club, willows, and alder on the bottom of the valley flood plain, exhausted by a 3-mile struggle against bush, logs, and marsh, we arrived at the Big Beaver trail around 1:30. Our only remaining food was oatmeal and orange concentrate. We ate the oatmeal dry, without sugar. Ed and I have joined the small handful of climbers who have experienced Luna Creek. It was certainly a character building experience. Ed and I ended up getting separated by the wall of brush. While I made it to the trail that evening, Ed spent the night in the jungle, and ended up ditching his pack and meeting up with me the next morning. If Luna Cirque is your goal, it's best to go in either Access Creek or Eiley/Wiley.

silence

silence
PostWed Jul 22, 2009 8:03 pm 
a remarkable achievement ... amazing trip ... excellent tr and pix .. thx for bringing us this big slice of heaven ... fay ... you're a real inspiration .. esp thx for that up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostWed Jul 22, 2009 11:04 pm 
Absolutely amazing!!!! Great TR and photos!!! up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif Very inspirational. I hope one day to get out there and do some of these mountains. I hope to be like Fay Pullen when I am 67.

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
TrailPair

TrailPair
PostThu Jul 23, 2009 8:41 am 
This TR needs to be sent to Hollywood. This could make for an epic made for TV movie! cool.gif I wonder which actors would protray Tom and Faye? confused.gif

This thing called work is interfering with my play
Mr. Cleanhead
Blues brother

Mr. Cleanhead
Blues brother
PostThu Jul 23, 2009 1:10 pm 
Well told tale, with stunning pictures! I especially loved the summit bivy. This is a once in a lifetime climb for a select few, beyond the reach of most of us. Both of you are an inspiration. This is what it's all about! I am curious though, with the sustained physical exertion over a solid week,did you suffer much weight loss? How much food weight did you pack? The logistics of such an adventure is interesting to me. All that climbing, with a week's provisions. Wow! Jim

Time spent on a summit is not deducted from your life.