Forum Index > Trip Reports > N Pickets - Furys, Luna, Challenger - July 14-21, 2009
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostThu Jul 23, 2009 1:14 pm 
The obvious answer for Faye would have been Farah Fawcett. A replacement will be hard to find. For Tom, perhaps Shia Labeouf is available.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostThu Jul 23, 2009 1:33 pm 
Forget the actors, who are they going to get to be stunt doubles? lol.gif dizzy.gif

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostFri Jul 24, 2009 12:21 am 
Mr. Cleanhead .. I think I lost about 5 pounds, but not sure. We didn't have to carry all our stuff everywhere, we left it at camp for two days, the rest of the time we brought it with us. Magellan... Shea Labouf?! I was thinking more like Harrison Ford!

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage
PostFri Jul 24, 2009 2:45 am 
up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif (One from each of us and the dogs)

"Forest 101: These big wood stick things are called trees. The big rocks are called mountains, and the little rocks are their babies." Elliott from Open Season
raz2sea
Daddy RAZ

raz2sea
Daddy RAZ
PostFri Jul 24, 2009 11:44 am 
slobber.gif Awesome!!

Bright River
goslowgofar

Bright River
goslowgofar
PostFri Jul 24, 2009 4:39 pm 
NIce Benchmark for the rest of us. Sure is something to think about. I noticed that Rogers entry said that he thought West Peak was much easier from the South (Picket Pass), than from east Peak Fury. I have always wondered about this. In l974, on a Traverse from Oakes Peak, Damnation, Triumph, Despair, Jaspar Pass , Pioneer Ridge , Picket Pass, Southern Pickets, Elephant Butte, Sourdough Ridge, We camped immediately below Fury, probably the west peak. And we saw lights moving on the face of Fury very high up (had to be the south side). Do you have any idea from the entries in the West Peak Register, who it might have been?

..-and rest thee by many brooks and hearthsides without misgiving. Rise free from care before the dawn and seek adventures. Let the noon find thee by other lakes, and the night overtake thee everywhere at home. HDT
dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostFri Jul 24, 2009 4:49 pm 
Wow, what a great accomplishment Tom and Fay! Thanks for sharing your story here smile.gif

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostSat Jul 25, 2009 1:56 pm 
Bright River, I did not get photos of that portion of the register, so I can't say for certain who that might have been. We did a very similar traverse as yours from Thornton Creek to Big Beaver last summer, and we had a blast. Amazing country out there. I like it so much I'm headed back today! up.gif

cartman

cartman
PostSun Jul 26, 2009 5:55 pm 
Tom_Sjolseth wrote:
If Luna Cirque is your goal, it's best to go in either Access Creek or Eiley/Wiley.
A longer but entirely brush-free way to access Luna Cirque is to come in via Little Beaver to Whatcom Pass (all good trail), traverse the Whatcom Glacier to Perfect Pass, then traverse the Challenger Glacier to Challenger Arm and thus down into the cirque. The route from Challenger Arm down into the cirque is all class 2 if you go down the meadow slope and stay above the trees, then go right to get past the line of trees to then drop down standard loose choss to Luna Cirque. Going into the trees is nasty terrain with hidden cliffs. Eiley and Access are brushy but certainly shorter and have no glacier travel to get into the cirque; but the crossing of Beaver Creek can be problematic, since it's usually too deep to ford.

andyd

andyd
PostMon Jul 27, 2009 6:45 pm 
I was with a group of three that followed you by a couple of days. We summitted E. Fury on the 20th and we met the other two climbers on the trail on our way out. I was amused by Fay's summit entry on your return from W. Fury-- "T-E-D-I-O-U-S". We had contemplated travelling to W. Fury and were disuaded by the route descriptions you referenced. The summit entry convinced us we had made the right decision. But if I had known it would only take 3.5 hours.... wink.gif As it was, our round trip from Luna col took almost 12 hours with very few breaks and pretty striaghtforward routefinding. "The summit register that Fay placed in 2006 is no longer there. " We climbed Luna the next day. We ascended to the false summit and got immedicately spooked on the ridge traverse. We tried to get reassurance from Beckey-- "precarious" "dirty" "groaning" --but it was not forthcoming and we downclimbed about 500 feet and proceded from the left side. I, too, found no summit log, but ventured up on the summit block for a third time and found it at the bottom of an improbable crack. It is now back on the summit in a nest of rocks.

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostMon Jul 27, 2009 9:04 pm 
Very efficiently accomplished. I like the title Fay had on her email: "Tom & Fay's Excellent Adventure" Wish we could have signed into the West Fury register a few days after you, but our attempted traverse from the south got turned back by lack of snow and steep nasty rock. We'll use your descriptions for next year. I'm hoping to do approximately the same trip, but in the opposite direction, because I like Eiley Wiley better for the approach (a bit longer, but more scenery for motivation).

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Prince of Happiness
Fly in the ointment

Prince of Happiness
Fly in the ointment
PostMon Jul 27, 2009 9:29 pm 
Incredible. Utterly incredible.

The Prince of Happiness "A man who does not care about the beer he drinks , may as well not care about the bread he eats." - M. Jackson, Beerhunter as seen by my friend Anita on a sign in Helsinki
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostMon Jul 27, 2009 10:00 pm 
Tom.... Tom.... Uhhh... hmmm... yeah!

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge