Forum Index > Trip Reports > Quartz Crk,Bald Eagle,June Mtn,Dishpan,W Cady loop 7/17/09
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
phil.a.rouse@gmail.com

phil.a.rouse@gmail.com
PostMon Jul 27, 2009 11:13 pm 
This was a four day loop trip, starting and finishing at the N Fork Skykomish river trailhead. This trail loop mostly consisted of ridge hiking, with lots of mtn views and meadow walking. We drove out FS road 65 from Hwy 2 near Skykomish to avoid the Index-Galena road washout. The loop started out with a nice forest hike up Quartz creek to Curry gap. The trail was pleasant, if slightly underused and overgrown in a few places. We took the Bald Eagle ridge trail from the Curry gap trail junction, a route that felt seldom used, lots of soft tread and wild strawberries growing in the trail, and a good place to avoid company - until we found a half-eaten pb&j sandwich in the middle of the trail. The Bald Eagle ridge trail quickly ascended to meadows and mtn views to the west (Monte Cristo Peak) before turning the corner for views across the Skykomish river to the south. Camping spots were sparse from Curry gap until near Long John mtn. Our first camp near a stream and on the edge of a meadow was buggy (mosquitos) this time of year. Day 2 we continued along the ridge trail over June mtn to views of Glacier Peak, then around the ridge to Dishpan gap. There were a few small snowfields to cross, nothing significant and all melting very quickly. There were no major snowfields to cross on the entire loop trail this time of year. The wildflowers were out in all the meadows, but not yet at their peak. We had plenty of snow fed streams as a source of water for the entire trip, until W Cady ridge on the last day. We finally encountered some other hiking parties when we reached the PCT at Dishpan gap, and camped near Wards pass with fantastic views in nearly every direction. Day 3 we headed south on the PCT through more meadows and continuous views around Skykomish peak and then down into the forest again at Cady pass. We did not see any other hiking parties after Cady pass until our way down W Cady ridge. We stopped for a quick splash in Pass creek on a hot day, then ascended out of the forest again to the meadows at Benchmark mtn. We camped the 3rd night on top of benchmark mtn, watched sunset and sunrise on Glacier Peak, and woke to a strong E wind blowing gritty dirt and dust off the ridge and into our tents. We descended to a nice campsite in the trees for breakfast, then hiked out W Cady ridge back to the trailhead.
4 waterfall
4 waterfall
8 bald eagle ridge
8 bald eagle ridge
10 bald eagle ridge
10 bald eagle ridge
21 June mtn
21 June mtn
29 June mtn
29 June mtn
35 June mtn
35 June mtn
42 June mtn
42 June mtn
44 June mtn
44 June mtn
54 Dishpan gap
54 Dishpan gap
61 Wards pass camp
61 Wards pass camp
71 Skykomish peak
71 Skykomish peak
73 Skykomish peak
73 Skykomish peak
96 Benchmark mtn
96 Benchmark mtn
101 Benchmark mtn
101 Benchmark mtn

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
dRoberts

dRoberts
PostTue Jul 28, 2009 1:02 am 
Nice TR. That campsite at Ward's pass looks awesome! Almost like your tent is pitched right on the edge. GP looks spectacular as usual! biggrin.gif Makes me wish I didn't have to drive so far for a west approach. I'll be doing an eastern approach for my loop in the area. cool.gif Thanks for the TR again! wink.gif

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities-his eternal power and divine nature-have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. Rom. 1:20
Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostTue Jul 28, 2009 7:44 am 
I've done most of your route in dayhike pieces, but I like the great loop trip you put together. Nice pix.

jeremybe
Ol' One-shirt

jeremybe
Ol' One-shirt
PostTue Jul 28, 2009 7:45 am 
Looks like a great time. up.gif We camped near the W Cady trailhead before we went up to Blanca Lake on Sunday. Definitely would like to go back and do something like ya'll. Great views!

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostTue Jul 28, 2009 7:59 am 
Nice! That was my planned trip over last weekend before work and weather got in the way. How was water access on W. Cady ridge and Benchmark?

Trevor

Trevor
PostTue Jul 28, 2009 8:07 am 
Thanks for sharing. I really admire this area.

phil.a.rouse@gmail.com

phil.a.rouse@gmail.com
PostTue Jul 28, 2009 8:18 am 
There were small snowmelt streams still running at the trail junction from W Cady ridge to Benchmark mountain, and a few little streams near the top of W Cady ridge, then nothing until we were in the lower part of the valley. There were still a few snow patches on top of Benchmark mtn that had trickles of water while the sun was out during the day.