Forum Index > Trip Reports > Hawk, Welch, Townsend Loop 2009-07-19 (Short Video Added)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tag Man
side hiller

Tag Man
side hiller
PostThu Jul 23, 2009 9:12 am 
(edit, video added) This was a very fun trip and I hope to do it again next year. As a member of the Peninsula Wilderness Club (Bremerton area club) for almost a year now, I still had not gone on any outings with them. This all changed on this Sunday as 3 other members and myself did the "Koski" Loop. This loop is un-officially named after one of the members that first suggested this hike to the club. The hike starts at the Tubal Cain trailhead then veers off onto the Tull Canyon trail going to its end and eventually going off trail at its end climbing up to the col or saddle between Hawk Peak and Mount Worthington. Once on the ridge or col, travel northeast on the ridge until you reach the top of Hawk Peak. After summiting Hawk Peak, make your way down towards Silver Lake which is visible from the ridge onto a faint boot path which is also visible from the ridge and through a large scree field until you reach the lake. Once you are at the lake, head on to the Silver Lake trail and follow it up the ridge between Welch Peak and Mount Townsend. For a quick summit bear right or south for an easy scramble to the top of Welch Peak. After Welch, head back down the ridge to regain the Silver Lake Trail and continue until you reach the Mount Townsend Trail. Take a left or west, going uphill towards Mount Townsend following trail until you get to summit. From summit going north, trail becomes the Little Quilcene Trail. Continue downhill to a junction veering left and staying on ridge. This trail is also known as the Dirty Face Ridge Trail (but officially the Little Quilcene Trail). Follow steep downhill trail until you reach the trailhead at road. A short walk downhill returns you to the start of the the hike. Total miles for trip, 15 or 17 depending on who you ask (My GPS recorded almost 15 miles). Elevation - Just over a mile at around 5400 feet. Things to see along the way. Abandoned Manganes mines of Tull Canyon. B-17 Bomber wreckage at Tull Canyon. Makeshift Campsites utilizing old plane wreckage that only Les Stroud himself would be proud of. Remains of a log cabin and mine artifacts at Tull Canyon. (you have to look around a bit for these) Hawk Peak Silver Lakes Welch Peaks Mount Townsend
Me, Paul, Julie and Doug at B-17 wreckage in Tull Canyon.
Me, Paul, Julie and Doug at B-17 wreckage in Tull Canyon.
Campsite using old B-17 wreckage for a lean-to.
Campsite using old B-17 wreckage for a lean-to.
Mining Artifacts
Mining Artifacts
Abandoned log house in Tull Canyon
Abandoned log house in Tull Canyon
Mt Worthington from Tull Canyon Pano
Mt Worthington from Tull Canyon Pano
Mt Worthington Pano 02
2 labels
Mt Worthington Pano 02
View from Hawk Peak pano
3 labels
View from Hawk Peak pano
Looking down at Silver Lake from Hawk Peak
Looking down at Silver Lake from Hawk Peak
Scree and Boulder slope below Hawk Peak and above Silver Lake
1 label
Silver Lake Pano
Silver Lake Pano
Looking up at Welch from Silver Lake Trail
Looking up at Welch from Silver Lake Trail
Julie and Paul striking a pose on Welch
Julie and Paul striking a pose on Welch
Silver Lake view from Welch
Silver Lake view from Welch
Townsend from ridge near Welch
Townsend from ridge near Welch
Doug, Julie and Paul atop Mount Townsend
Doug, Julie and Paul atop Mount Townsend
Townsend Pano
2 labels
Townsend Pano
Looking back at Hawk from Mount Townsend Pano
10 labels
Looking back at Hawk from Mount Townsend Pano
Mount Buckhorn from Dirty Face Ridge
Mount Buckhorn from Dirty Face Ridge
Hawk - Welch - Townsend Loop Map
Hawk - Welch - Townsend Loop Map

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostThu Jul 23, 2009 9:30 am 
Very nice route -- I've done Townsend a couple times but want to do the other two also. This would be a great way to get them both. I'm always glad to learn of good loop hikes.

reststep

reststep
PostThu Jul 23, 2009 9:58 am 
That looks like a really fun loop. How long did it take aproximately? Thank you for posting the report and for the pictures. I hear it is also possible to run the ridge between Hawk Peak and Welch Peaks for some people anyway. Trip Report I have not tried it myself but hope to at least take a look at it some day.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Tag Man
side hiller

Tag Man
side hiller
PostThu Jul 23, 2009 10:49 am 
Puzzler: Its not as epic as your Needles trip, but does make for a nice long day hike. smile.gif Reststep: This was one of my favorite loops I've done. I talked to a guy at Silver Lake who said he had run the ridge as you describe. It sounded like a lot of scrambling but not impossible. We started about 8:45 and got back to the car around 6:30. Thats with a 20 minute stop on Hawk, 20 minutes on Townsend and about 45 minutes eating our lunch and fighting mosquitos at the lake. rant.gif The hardest part of this loop is gaining all that altitude going up Hawk, losing it going down to the lake and turning around gaining it again going up Welch just to lose more again going down to meet up with the Townsend Trail. Don't let it stop you though, this trip was a lot of fun.

reststep

reststep
PostThu Jul 23, 2009 11:24 am 
Thanks for the info Tag Man. Another option to avoid some of that elevation gain would be to take the Silver Creek trail out. This would mean walking about a mile down the road back to the car however.

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostThu Jul 23, 2009 1:05 pm 
Tagman, thanks for the TR and the very interesting loop suggestion. Sounds like you had a great day! up.gif From Welsh Peaks, did you drop back down to the jct with Silver Lakes trail and then scramble up to Townsend along the ridge or did you drop down further and take the east Townsend trail to the summit?

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
Tag Man
side hiller

Tag Man
side hiller
PostThu Jul 23, 2009 2:05 pm 
Goats: By the time we were done with Welch, we were all pretty tired and I think more scrambling was the last thing any of us wanted to do at that point, but I'm sure it can be done. We were all pretty happy to be on good trail even though this meant dropping down more than I liked. I looked at it like this, By that time I had already gained 4500 or so feet, a couple hundred more wasn't going to kill me. I do want to walk that ridge sometime though tongue.gif Reststep: I didn't even know that trail was there until our hike last weekend. This would have for sure made an easier loop, but then we would have missed Welch and Townsend. It kind of felt like doing 2 big hikes in one day. up.gif

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostThu Jul 23, 2009 2:38 pm 
lol.gif I hear ya! Glad it didn't kill ya. lol.gif Though sometimes another 200 feet feels like it is going to be the death of me. hockeygrin.gif This TR has really piqued my interest and I think I'm going to do it. Except skip the Welch Peaks as I've alreadly been herded that way before. I'm wondering though, in your opinion, how scrambly is the descent from the saddle of Mtn. WA and Hawk Peak to the lake versus the scramble down from Welch Peaks. Is it Welsh or Welch or Welches or Welshs. dizzy.gif embarassedlaugh.gif I can't remember.

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
Tag Man
side hiller

Tag Man
side hiller
PostThu Jul 23, 2009 8:33 pm 
Goats: The route I took down from Hawk is through a scree slope varying from car sized boulders down to the size of gravel that will get in your shoes. I would mostly describe it as boulder hopping where the hike down Welch is on a ridge and is definitely more of a scramble. As to the name? Well I always thought it was Welch but I guess I could be wrong. I've seen it spelled both ways. HJT: There are lots of flat spots up near the end of Tull. We even discussed how nice it would be to camp there sometime during our hike. About that photo, I took about 5 minutes of video of that cloud trying its best to roll over that saddle. I'm working on doing a little video of it sped up, I think it will look cool.

Dane
Other

Dane
Other
PostThu Jul 23, 2009 9:01 pm 
Nice loop and an impressive day trip! up.gif up.gif I wonder what it would take to make it a "clean" loop, ie no backtracking from Welch. How rough is the terrain along the traverse to Townsend?

Without judgement what would we do? We would be forced to look at ourselves... -Death
Tag Man
side hiller

Tag Man
side hiller
PostThu Jul 23, 2009 9:24 pm 
Dane: I guess I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean just heading up Townsend without doing the Welch side trip or doing a ridge scramble all the way from Hawk or maybe a scramble up the Townsend ridge from Welch? I'm not sure. The climb up and down Hawk is pretty straight forward as I'm sure you know, (I read your report from last year) but I thought the Welch scramble sucked. Maybe I was just tired. When I was at Silver Lake I kept thinking of your uss downmat picture and wishing I had my old Thermarest with me.

Tag Man
side hiller

Tag Man
side hiller
PostThu Jul 23, 2009 9:27 pm 
Here is the elevation profile from my GPS. We thought we did 5400 feet but my GPS is a little different. You get the idea though.
Elevation Profile
9 labels
Elevation Profile

Dane
Other

Dane
Other
PostThu Jul 23, 2009 9:39 pm 
Oops my mistake Tag Man...I was confused as to where Welch Peak was. I bet a traverse along the ridge crest from Hawk to Townsend could be done; the terrain isn't too bad from Hawk to the saddle south of Silver Lake.

Without judgement what would we do? We would be forced to look at ourselves... -Death
reststep

reststep
PostThu Jul 23, 2009 9:43 pm 
I have done the ridge to Mt. Townsend from the Welch Peaks, Mt. Townsend saddle a few times. Most of it is a boot beaten path with nothing technical. It is fun to descend Mt. Townsend that way and intersect with the Silver Lakes trail. There are some camp spots along there also.

ScottM

ScottM
PostFri Jul 24, 2009 9:51 pm 
By Koski loop I assume you are talking about somebody named Kevin. It sounds like something he would come up with. Was up there last Monday, beautiful place.