Forum Index > Trip Reports > Ashland, Twinfalls Lakes...and a bunch of @#$% Trash!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSun Jul 26, 2009 9:47 pm 
What to do on a extremely hot day. How about a trail with not a lot of elevation gain with 4 lake to cool of in on the way hockeygrin.gif One of the reasons for this trip was check out the trail damage to twin falls lake. Because it is a DNR trail, and recent budget cuts means it probably won't get fixed it move near the top of my hit list...today was a good day for this trip. The first lake on the trail is beaver plant lake
sign
sign
Bevear plant lake
Bevear plant lake
Beaver Plant lake 2
Beaver Plant lake 2
It's a shallow lake with lots of insects buzzing about...oddly few are man eating.
Dfly
Dfly
Dfly2
Dfly2
After watching the insects dance around for a bit i decided to continue on.
worn sign
worn sign
Bald mountain was not my destination today. The trail through all the lakes seems have been built by some one with obsessive compulsive puncheon disorder. There is literally miles of puncheon.
punchon
punchon
steps
steps
vegitation
vegitation
And a curious structure end...and arrow..i guess it's the DNR's way of saying don't let the bush hit you on the ass on the way out clown.gif
Arrow
Arrow
Next is upper ashland lake
needs no caption
needs no caption
wildlife
wildlife
wildlife2
wildlife2
more danger
more danger
It's forested nearly to the edge. And it has a puncheon trail that circles the entire lake. Lower ashland looks much the same. I blew right by it on the way to Twin falls lake.
danger
danger
Consider myself warned. From Lower Ashland to Twin falls lakes the trail deteriorates a bit. But is still in better shape than some trails i have seen that are not closed. There's lots of broken puncheon on this stretch. When i saw this, i laughed. Is this the reason the trail is closed?
damaged punchon
damaged punchon
It was easy to navigate. Beyond there are some blow downs...again not difficult to deal with.
blow downs
blow downs
Then what closed the trail.....this
The danger
The danger
It's not something for your kids to cross. But again, I have encountered worse..on trails that are not closed shakehead.gif What makes this sketchy is it gets slippery when wet. Not far beyond is Twin Falls lake.
twin falls lake sign
twin falls lake sign
more no no's
more no no's
unreadable sign
unreadable sign
firepit in mud
firepit in mud
There's not much water going over the falls right now.
twinfalls lake
twinfalls lake
It's a tiny little lake. But it has a sandy beach. biggrin.gif
twinfalls lake2
twinfalls lake2
Some one had placed two folding chairs on the beach...i waded around in the water to cool off...but soon i sensed some thing wrong. It was too quiet, considering the chairs. So i decided to do a quick search of the area. I found no occupants...worse..i found there trash that the campers had abandoned. There was food spread throughout the camp sites that animals had already got into. rant.gif The even abandoned there tent, with urine and rain soaked cotton sleeping bag. down.gif down.gif gag.gif
abandoned tent
abandoned tent
trash
trash
There was so much of it. I had no choice but to separate what was remotely biodegradable from what was not. I managed to pack 95% of it. Packed onto a small day pack. I managed to find ways to sling the stuff externally on my day pack with the various abandoned stuff sacks
packed trash
packed trash
overloaded day pack
overloaded day pack
This pack was never intended to haul this much weight. And it hurt. whaambulance.gif It was now in the high 80's, and because of the extra wight i began to sweat a lot. This attracted lots of horse flys bug.gif Because of this...i did not waste any time to lower ashland. I kept moving to keep the bugs off. Once i reached the lake i went for a swim. The water was warm, and did not smell that good...but it kept the bugs away for a little while. Dripping wet..i made a bee line for Upper ashland On arrival i intended to go for another swim. I took one step into the lake and promptly sank in knee deep stinky mud. Parched, and out of potable water i made my way past beaver plant lake..and finally encountered some hikers. With water borank.gif They were nice enough to give me a few drinks of water. Then another group..there caught up to me on the way out..and were nice enough to give me a few drinks of water also. borank.gif THANK YOU to the two anonymous groups for the water. On the drive out...i stopped at Green Gables in Robe for a bottle of milk, two bottles of lemonade and some string cheese... drink.gif hungry.gif I weighed the trash when i got home..60lbs...of some one else's crap. rant.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jul 26, 2009 9:56 pm 
Way to go Hulkster. More jack ass scum bags strike again!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Tim and Angel
Angel now an Angel

Tim and Angel
Angel now an Angel
PostSun Jul 26, 2009 10:03 pm 
What a interesting report! I turned around at the sign a few weeks ago and decided to do Twin Falls another day. Leave it to Hulksmash to go over and beyond despite circumstances. It blows my mind that people litter like that. I don't get it. But we are very lucky to have people like you that will turn leisure and adventure into a spontaneous rescue mission....cleaning garbage of inconsiderate beings. I clean up what I find, too, but 60 pounds of crap back uphill is an amazing feat. Kudos to you man! up.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jul 26, 2009 10:06 pm 
When the Hulkster puts his mind to something he gets it done! Ive always wanted to dive off that waterfall. hockeygrin.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostSun Jul 26, 2009 10:10 pm 
Good job Hulk, and great report. Shame that people have to leave messes like that, but it's a sign of the times. Surprising the number of abandoned campsites that are out there. down.gif We all know the high standards that the DNR has set, so I'm sure they'll have that trail fixed in a jiffy!.....cough cough. hockeygrin.gif

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Jul 26, 2009 10:14 pm 
You are a heck of a man to haul all that crap out. I always wonder what people are thinking when they just abandon all that crap. Wouldn't it be easier to haul it out than it was to haul it in? down.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jul 26, 2009 10:17 pm 
Magellan wrote:
You are a heck of a man to haul all that crap out. I always wonder what people are thinking when they just abandon all that crap. Wouldn't it be easier to haul it out than it was to haul it in? down.gif
Apathy in the United States STRIKES AGAIN! Ten thumbs down! down.gif down.gif down.gif down.gif down.gif down.gif down.gif down.gif down.gif down.gif

shadetree

shadetree
PostSun Jul 26, 2009 10:33 pm 
I thank you for an interesting report and for hauling out other peoples crap. I don't understand why people are so stinking lazzy. rant.gif

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSun Jul 26, 2009 10:36 pm 
What burns me up about this...I chose this trip at the last minute to avoid thinking about the possible semi truck load of crap on the other side of the Boundary bridge over the Suiattle mad.gif Yea...my other trip i intended to go on was to plan another clean up...hopefully in a few months when the new bridge goes in. shakehead.gif I can't get away from the trash. curse.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jul 26, 2009 10:37 pm 
shadetree wrote:
I thank you for an interesting report and for hauling out other peoples crap. I don't understand why people are so stinking lazzy. rant.gif
Hello, read my post. Apathy. To many people dont care! hockeygrin.gif

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSun Jul 26, 2009 11:01 pm 
twinfalls lake
twinfalls lake
Stuff was spread over two campsites..So..i would guess a minimum of 4 people..that's only 15 lbs per person. An ony 4.5 miles out along a trail with little elevation gain... LAZY rant.gif

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostMon Jul 27, 2009 12:16 am 
trash
trash
That's not "apathy", BPJ, and it's not just "LAZY", either. It's perversion. Somebody had to be around the bend, in a very unpleasant way, to make that kind of mess. Bryan, don't take on so much that you lose your love of the outdoors.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Jul 27, 2009 6:48 am 
Well, thank you for cleaning it up. up.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
gone

gone
PostMon Jul 27, 2009 8:58 am 
Thanks, Hulksmash! up.gif And to those hikers kind enough to share some water with you! up.gif

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostMon Jul 27, 2009 9:53 am 
Quote:
Somebody had to be around the bend, in a very unpleasant way, to make that kind of mess.
Scrooge...your correct. The crap was not there long. A open vacuum packed bag of salmon had not spoiled yet. I can't imagine that stuff lasting long in the heat once opened. I could have passed them on my way in.