Forum Index > Trip Reports > North Fork Sauk Trail (#649) to Mackinaw Shelter
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
WetDog

WetDog
PostMon Jul 27, 2009 2:54 pm 
Desiring to escape the heat, we decided to opted to stay in the old growth along the North Fork Sauk River route (#649) after deciding against Twin Falls lake, Lost Creek and Mt. Pugh as we didn’t want to schlep a bunch of water along other routes. Though we anticipated being assaulted by mosquitoes we figured staying near the Sauk river in the old growth would at least be cooler. Knowing that if the bugs got too bad we could get up to Red Pass and try to find a breezy spot. Though a long haul from the eastside, we routed down from Darrington and was at the trailhead by 11am where we encountered a massive amount of cars only surpassed by a full on assault of bugs. Not wanting to be camping on top of 50 other people we checked the register and was pleased that all entries were heading to pass or peaks in the area but none registered for the shelter. Thus, we lathered up on the bug juice and started the easy grade trek towards the shelter. Trial is in excellent condition with only a few swamping areas complete with muck past Red Creek. The crossing at Red Creek required finding one of the many logs to cross over that should be fixed soon as a work party was just finishing a foot log shaved and treaded that I suspect they put in place late Sunday. Many logs to choose from and the crossing was easy; though I wouldn’t have my kids cross it the dog did fine. Reached the shelter and was pleasantly surprised to find nobody there and was welcomed by a nice thundershower that scared the bugs away. We quickly put the beers in the river to chill and went about giving the Shelter a spring cleaning as some fools left a bunch of garbage strewn about the area. With light showers and bug free we got out bug net setup over the bedding just about the time a mule team pulling gear up to Red Pass checked in for the night. A bunch of really nice cowboys all old style with their canvas tents settled in a ways away which puzzled the dog to no end as it was his first encounter with live stock. Ended up having an outstanding bug free night that cooled down with the light showers and air flowing off the river. Up early on Sunday, chatted a bit with the cowboys before we headed back to the car looking to beat the heat and bugs. Completed the route from Bedal to Granite Falls through Barlow Pass that started to look like I-5 with car camping in full steam. Mtn Loop Highway looked like some landscaped it with beautiful yellow and purple flowers lining the entire route back. Sorry, guess I need to resetup flicker for the pics. Alright, photos posted here...will get creative next time around. http://www.flickr.com/photos/40883814@N06/sets/72157621866804544/

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Jul 27, 2009 3:29 pm 
WetDog wrote:
though I wouldn’t have my kids cross it the dog did fine.
So you left your kids behind and you & your dog went on to the shelter? I'd probably have done that too. Kids can be boisterous at camp.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
WetDog

WetDog
PostMon Jul 27, 2009 3:35 pm 
Actually the wife, kids and my dog were out of town leaving me to work last week, so we took the opportunity to get out there. The hike is gentle enough for the kids; very light gain. Once the work party finishes the new crossing at Red Creek, it should be trival to get the whole family over it.

Pepper

Pepper
PostMon Jul 27, 2009 3:53 pm 
I came out that way about 12 pm on sunday and it looked like a work party was getting ready to consturct the bridge had two big mules.