Forum Index > Trip Reports > Alta via Lillian, Rampart and (bonus) Lila Lakes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostSun Jul 26, 2009 8:52 pm 
Well, after the two previous weekends spent bi-coastal (New Hampshire hiking weekend #1 and Lake Tahoe hiking weekend #2) - getting back to the Cascades was like slipping into a comfortable pair of old shoes (or hiking boots, as the case may be). Oh sure, it was supposed to be hot today and the weather forecast was for "mostly cloudy, with a chance of thunderstorms (altogether now) AFTER 11:00 a.m.), but as one wise man said (that would be MIddle E), "The weather's going to do what the weather's going to do . . . " so, off we headed, with the primary requirements being (as stated by Gus): lots and lots of lakes to play in and to wander around in the woods. OK - done. Some of our playmates were headed for overnighters, but we opted for just a day hike and the Driver hadn't been to Alta for a while, so figuring if we got a fairly early start, we could beat some of the heat and tag Alta before it got too hot. We arrived at the "back way" to Lillian about 8:30 a.m. and were on the trail before long. Only one other vehicle - and it looked like it had been there overnight. God love this trail - it's Mailbox BEFORE gentrification - that is, the road isn't improved and neither is the trail all the way up to Lillian. This is really the steepest part of the whole trip! The first part of the trail was very, very wet as we moved through the extremely overgrown underbrush. It was a reasonable 55 degrees when we started - so the wet didn't feel too bad. And, the flowers, oh my, eek.gif they were so lovely the whole way - I thought we would be too late for flowers, but no, they were in full bloom!
Yellow Monkey Flower
Yellow Monkey Flower
Tiger Lilies
Tiger Lilies
Queen's Cup
Queen's Cup
We made our way up to Lillian in good time - a much nicer climb than we had had in the Sierras - much cooler.
Reaching Lillian Lake
Reaching Lillian Lake
Gus and swim #1 of the day at Lillian Lake
Gus and swim #1 of the day at Lillian Lake
Rainier from Lillian
Rainier from Lillian
As we moved to circumnavigate Lillian to head over to the trail on the east side of the lake that would take us up to the ridge to head toward Rampart, we came upon two backpackers who also were headed to Rampart.
Backpackers traveling around Lillian heading to Rampart Lakes
Backpackers traveling around Lillian heading to Rampart Lakes
Apparently they had stayed at Twin Lakes - missing the route to Lillian (it was their truck down at the trailhead). They said it rained on the way in, but they didn't have any thunderstorms or rain during the night - and the bugs were awful. We did notice that the bugs were fairly aggressive! bug.gif embarassedlaugh.gif We wished them well and continued our drive to the ridge.
and more flowers
and more flowers
Oodles of flowers heading up to Ridge from Lillian
Oodles of flowers heading up to Ridge from Lillian
Both Barry and the I had once (separately) attempted to run Rampart Ridge towards Alta, but finding that the northeast end of it is a bit rugged. So, we opted to stick to the "regular" trail - which also would lead us over a few snow fields - the last little bit sticking around.
Rainier with Lillian in foreground
Rainier with Lillian in foreground
Rampart Ridge ahead
Rampart Ridge ahead
From Ridge above Lillian looking east to HiBox
From Ridge above Lillian looking east to HiBox
From Rampart Ridge looking towards Alta, our destination (and Rachel Lake below)
From Rampart Ridge looking towards Alta, our destination (and Rachel Lake below)
At Rampart Lakes, Gus was able to test the waters of at least three or four more lakes - he was in heaven! We continued on to Alta, noticing that there were four guys ahead of us with minimal gear - probably had spent the night at one of the lakes and were just going to tag the summit. It was starting to warm up - but still nothing like what we had experienced in the Sierras.
Fields of flowers heading up to Alta
Fields of flowers heading up to Alta
We passed two of the guys as we reached the 15th(!) (well, it SEEMED like 15!) false summit of Alta, and then passed the other two guys on the 18th false summit lol.gif rolleyes.gif The last little stretch to the REAL summit is a good challenge, but nothing dangerous. We made it in about 2 1/2 hours - right about 11:00 a.m. and, guess what? No thunder and lightening - in fact, we decided if today was "mostly cloudy, we'd take it anytime! Absolutely gorgeous. Apparently the first two guys we passed weren't interested in making the summit - the other two did (and, they graciously took our pic and we took theirs).
On top of Alta looking west
On top of Alta looking west
Gus with some new friends (no food, however) on Alta
Gus with some new friends (no food, however) on Alta
Perched high above on Alta
Perched high above on Alta
Perhaps my favorite picture of the day is this one - awesome!
Barry on top of Alta with a little scenery(!) behind
Barry on top of Alta with a little scenery(!) behind
Spectacular views from Alta - pretty easy summit for the pay-off. We noticed how little snow there is all around - so much different than last year! We also spied Lila Lakes and decided we needed a little detour on our way down. We spent about 45 minutes on the summit - and since it still was a little before Noon, we figured we should explore the Lila's as well.
Upper Lila Lakes from Alta (looking South/southeast)
Upper Lila Lakes from Alta (looking South/southeast)
Cairn on top of Alta
Cairn on top of Alta
Looking south as we're coming off of Alta - with the ridge in the foreground
Looking south as we're coming off of Alta - with the ridge in the foreground
"Lower" Lila Lake - complete with isalnd and HiBox as a back drop
"Lower" Lila Lake - complete with isalnd and HiBox as a back drop
What we found out, however, is that there are a series of "lower" Lila Lakes (which Gus was more than happy to visit - in fact, 'someone' decided to join Gus for a swim - figuring that no one could really see much from Alta - but the 'other' one of us was not nearly so adventurous on this trip!) We were searching for the lakes we had seen from Alta - so, in true Middle E fashion, we went exploring (who needs a trail? huh.gif shakehead.gif ) We determined that there was a bit of a ridge between the lower Lila and the upper Lila Lakes - but soon we found the hidden lakes - meanwhile, some others on the top of Alta saw us and yelled down at us from the top of Alta.
The cairn on top of Alta as seen from an Upper Lila Lake below
The cairn on top of Alta as seen from an Upper Lila Lake below
Gus with yet another lake to bag (one of the Upper Lila's)
Gus with yet another lake to bag (one of the Upper Lila's)
Nice little diversion - but now it was time to return. Still quite a few folks around Rampart and Rachel Lakes - too bad folks ignore Lila Lakes - they're lovely.
Rampart Ridge in the background
Rampart Ridge in the background
Looking back to Alta with Rachel Lake below
Looking back to Alta with Rachel Lake below
Again, smitten by the flowers, I had many shutter-delay moments.
Incredible flowers
Incredible flowers
Just before we reached the car, we noticed these little flowers - Barry knew them as "Indian Paintbrush" on the East Coast - but the flower guide has another name for them.
Devil's Paintbrush
Devil's Paintbrush
Perfect day!!! up.gif up.gif All of Gus' requirements were met - and it sure was a heck of a lot easier 3000'+ gain/12 or so miles than we had had last weekend on Pyramid! agree.gif winksmile.gif

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostSun Jul 26, 2009 10:45 pm 
Cool trip!

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
Middle E
no more moustache

Middle E
no more moustache
PostMon Jul 27, 2009 8:56 am 
I've always had good luck with Alta - I don't recall a trip without good weather and great views.
Mt. Rainier behind Rachel Lk.
Mt. Rainier behind Rachel Lk.
Lupine and arnica
Lupine and arnica
Alta Mtn. and Rachel Lk.
Alta Mtn. and Rachel Lk.
Hibox behind tarn
Hibox behind tarn
Flowers on Alta ridge
Flowers on Alta ridge
Lemah and Hibox from Alta
Lemah and Hibox from Alta
Many times I've looked down from Alta at Lila Lakes and the tarns beyond that are tucked under the summit of Alta. I'd always assumed that the obvious way trail to Lila Lakes continued on to the trans. Not so! The way trail to the tarns takes off a couple hundred feet above the lakes, not far beyond the first little tarn you reach before the lakes. The problem is that it takes off through a rocky area, so there is no path at first. From the tarns, one can see a couple of scramble route up Alta - but there's not much reason to go that way when the ridge route to Alta is one of the finest.
Tarn below Alta
Tarn below Alta

pithy yet insightful signature
Snowdog

Snowdog
PostMon Jul 27, 2009 10:00 am 
nice outing guys! I bopped up Dickerman, and was also surprised at how many flowers were still in full bloom. And it was nice & breezy on top- cool.gif

'we don't have time for a shortcut'
BPLlama

BPLlama
PostMon Jul 27, 2009 11:12 am 
Looks like another wonderful trip up.gif I was in no shape to go with you on Sun. to Alta. Seems like the road to the trail is too rough for a 2wd car huh?

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostMon Jul 27, 2009 12:53 pm 
Alta and Back
BPLlama wrote:
Looks like another wonderful trip up.gif I was in no shape to go with you on Sun. to Alta. Seems like the road to the trail is too rough for a 2wd car huh?
Gus would have enjoyed your leftover snacks from the day before! lol.gif Besides, we had a "leisurely" 12-mile+ stroll - you probably would have thought we were slackers! winksmile.gif agree.gif Well, I wouldn't take a regular passenger car up that road (besides, the overgrown brush really scratches up the side of your car). However, there was a Subbie Outback parked near us when we got back - the only other vehicle other than mine and the truck. There are some pretty deep ruts in the road that could high-center a regular car. s.d.

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
Jasper
Cascade Snow Pig

Jasper
Cascade Snow Pig
PostMon Jul 27, 2009 1:07 pm 
Hey Gus! I'm begining to think that swimming thing of yours isn't such a bad idea, especially in this heat. Driver- Dad did manage to drive the Honda Civic up that road last September, but maybe it's gotten worse since then? He's not the greatest driver either. shakehead.gif

Middle E
no more moustache

Middle E
no more moustache
PostMon Jul 27, 2009 1:13 pm 
Jasper wrote:
Hey Gus! I'm begining to think that swimming thing of yours isn't such a bad idea, especially in this heat. Driver- Dad did manage to drive the Honda Covoc up that road last September, but maybe it's gotten worse since then? He's not the greatest driver either. shakehead.gif
I think most passenger vehicles could make it, with caution, except the really low riders. But the roadside brush will hit you almost constantly, if you value your paint job.

pithy yet insightful signature
Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage
PostMon Jul 27, 2009 1:48 pm 
We love that traverse. One of the first hikes we did with the whippets. Thanks for the memories.

"Forest 101: These big wood stick things are called trees. The big rocks are called mountains, and the little rocks are their babies." Elliott from Open Season
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jul 27, 2009 1:50 pm 
Good work and nice pics. I need to get my nephew up there soon.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostMon Jul 27, 2009 2:00 pm 
Nice trip report! I see Gus has learned Timber's famous "shoot my butt " pose embarassedlaugh.gif Looks like the heat isn't getting to him at all. Such a good hiking buddy! agree.gif

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
BadDog

BadDog
PostMon Jul 27, 2009 2:04 pm 
Are dogs allowed off-leash there?

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jul 27, 2009 2:06 pm 
Three Frogs wrote:
Are dogs allowed off-leash there?
No Yes Maybe It doesnt matter whether they are allowed or not.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln