Forum Index > Trip Reports > Observation Rock Encore
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Snowdog

Snowdog
PostWed Jul 29, 2009 10:05 am 
This is an example of nwhiker doing what it does best: read a report, like what you read, decide to go check it out for yourself, have a fabulous day, -all thanks to loyal posters! Thank you Schroder~ We got a bit later start, arriving at Mowich Lake about 10:30am. Yes, it was hot, and yes, the bugs were pesky- but aren't they everywhere at the moment? We got to Spray Park in about an hour (3 miles) and the flowers were amazing & prolific, if, as Angry Hiker might say, you like that sort of thing. Just past Spray Park,on top of a ridge there is a spur trail that leads up between Echo Rock & Observation Rock. We chose to head up the snow (faster) and go around behind OR(to better sneak up on the summit), but encountered a bunch of red,crumbly pumice. Getting over that slowed us up a bit.(the red mixed with the gray granite was pretty though) We regained a snowslope & then scurried up to the top. The hot sun was producing a veritable symphony of rockfall from the glaciers directly above us- always nice to be watching & listening from a safe distance! We did enjoy a respite from bugs with a nice breeze and a bit of altitude. (about 8300') Heading down (good glissades, but bumpy with suncups on my tender derriere moon.gif ) we noticed some dark, ominous clouds coming our way from the east- this put a bit more spring in our step. We drove home dreading the hot house that awaited , so we detoured to grab something to eat in an air-conditioned environment- putting off coming home until much later- house was still 87- ugh.

'we don't have time for a shortcut'
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostWed Jul 29, 2009 10:14 am 
I think we need to change the title of the "Trip Reports" forum to "Outdoor Photography (write-ups may be included at photographer's discretion)". rolleyes.gif hint, hint

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Snowdog

Snowdog
PostWed Jul 29, 2009 11:00 am 
Scrooge wrote:
I think we need to change the title of the "Trip Reports" forum to "Outdoor Photography (write-ups may be included at photographer's discretion)". rolleyes.gif hint, hint
I feel woefully inadequate on this site- so many posters could change careers & be professional photographers (you know who you are)- my pics are largely repeats of Schroder's pics of same trip. Plus, just how many more pictures of beautiful summer meadows in full glory & big, white volcanoes does one need to see? hmmm.gif

'we don't have time for a shortcut'
Highwalker's Daughter

Highwalker's Daughter
PostWed Jul 29, 2009 12:55 pm 
Glad you got out. I'm home with a sick kid so I'm living vicariously through your report. up.gif He's doing well enough now with the new meds that maybe I can sneak out for a solo overnighter somewhere tomorrow.

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostWed Jul 29, 2009 1:19 pm 
10,000 Words
Scrooge wrote:
Taking pictures would only slow Snow Dog down . . . not a bad idea actually! winksmile.gif

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostWed Jul 29, 2009 2:20 pm 
Snow Dog said
Quote:
Plus, just how many more pictures of beautiful summer meadows in full glory & big, white volcanoes does one need to see? hmmm.gif
I dunno. Post some and we can do a test. dizzy.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!