Forum Index > Trip Reports > Schreibers Meadow: Two Lakes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
SonicD

SonicD
PostTue Jul 28, 2009 12:33 pm 
Has anyone hiked to these two small lakes in the Schreibers Meadow area of Mt. Baker: Lakes

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
whitebark

whitebark
PostTue Jul 28, 2009 1:56 pm 
I haven't hiked to the lakes, but it could be a interesting spot: they are crater lakes in a cinder cone that erupted fairly recently (geologically speaking).

SonicD

SonicD
PostTue Jul 28, 2009 2:03 pm 
I wonder if they're fairly deep, being crater type lakes. I've emailed the Forest Service about them, but I haven't heard back from them yet. There are a lot of ponds and it is pretty wet through there which might make it tricky, but I might have to venture off-trail to check them out sometime.

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostTue Jul 28, 2009 2:37 pm 
Larch and I checked them out, 8 or 10 years ago. There was no special problem getting there. You'll find social trails or game trails that will lead you around all the little ponds; maybe even up the cone, these days. When we were there, it was pretty much a bushwhack up to the lip, and then down the inside of the cone to the lakes.
Schreibers Meadow lakes
Schreibers Meadow lakes
And here it is on Flash Earth. http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=48.702705&lon=-121.815522&z=15.8&r=0&src=yh We went to look at it, because on the map it looked like crater lakes in a cindercone . I'm not a geologist, so nothing I saw convinced me that's what it was. Frankly, we found that poking around the ponds was more interesting than exploring "the crater" turned out to be. Anyhow, it will make for a fun, short trip ....... when the bugs die down. irked.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
SonicD

SonicD
PostTue Jul 28, 2009 3:24 pm 
Scrooge: Thanks for the information. I know it's not anything like camping up around Park Butte and Railroad Grade in terms of views and such, but are there any places to place a tent around those lakes?

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostTue Jul 28, 2009 3:58 pm 
I would say not (but it's been awhile). Even if there actually is someplace to set up a tent, it would be a very undesirable campsite. You're down in a brushy hole with zero views and the lakes are not photogenic. hmmm.gif There's also a problem with rules, since Schreibers Meadow is mostly in the Mt Baker National Recreation Area.
The rule is
Quote:
During the summer months ........ backpackers must camp at designated sites established for their use. No campfires are allowed in the NRA. NRA Designated Camp Sites * Cathedral Camp * High Camp * Railroad Camp * Mazama Park Horse Camp
You can also camp in sites adjacent to the trailhead parking area, because that is not in the NRA, so normal National Forest camping rules apply.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
SonicD

SonicD
PostWed Jul 29, 2009 1:15 pm 
Scrooge: Thanks for the helpful information.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Jul 30, 2009 10:34 am 
This structure has the look and is in the right spot for a small vent. Googling reveals papers referencing the Schreiber Meadows cone and material from it on Baker's S flank, dated around 8400 years ago. All the papers I found in this quick search were subscription only.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers