Forum Index > Trip Reports > Island Lake clean up.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSat Aug 01, 2009 7:58 pm 
Last week i posted a trip report on Twin Falls lake. Unfortunately i did an unplanned trash haul. White Bark commented on some abandoned inflatable rafts at near by Island lake. Initially i was reluctant to do a trash haul two weeks in a row. But ever since i caught a glimpse of Island lake from the Bald mountain trail many years ago i always wanted to go there. I just never got around to it. On Wednesday i made up my mind to go for it. Even posted in the partners thread for a pack slave partner. There were no takers. frown.gif Anyway i hit the road around 9am.....On the drive in i noticed something i have not experienced along the mountain loop hwy before..lots of smokey haze...every where. Then i spotted a small plume of smoke on Wiley ridge
wiley ridge fire
wiley ridge fire
Yep it's a wild fire. Not very big, not enough to be concerned about...today. I reached the Boradman lake TH just before 10am. About half way there i was distracted by the bright color of these mushrooms.
fungus
fungus
Then almost before my leg muscles warmed up i was at Boardman lake. For some reason i don't remember the trail being that short. lol.gif I took the opportunity to splash some water on me, before beginning the next leg of my journey.
Bordman lake
Bordman lake
Now....a few days ago in the partners thread, Scrooge issued this warning.
Quote:
Too hot, Byran, and way too buggy. eek.gif The only time I ever had a panic attack was on the way to Island Lake ...... in early August. The horseflies were just insufferable.
My thought was nothing can be worse than my experience on Green mountain (suiattle) a few years ago. Well about half way between Boardman and Island lake, i encountered a few horse flys. Most of them just did flybys. At this point it was a minor nuisance. Then the black little deer flys joined the party. bug.gif Then i walked into a swarm of noseeums for the trifecta of nuisance insects. While the noseeums did touch and goes on my eyeballs, and kamikaze runs to my respiratory system via mouth and nose, in an effort to suffocate me. The deer flys went after my ears, back of my neck, and elbows. And the Horse flys went after all exposed areas of flesh. At the base of a cliff i managed to catch a glimpse of the map screen on my gps through the bugs. It confirmed my suspicion Island lake was very close. I ran up and i mean UP the final slope of trail before the lake in an effort to escape the bugs. With in sight of the lake i dropped my gear and emptied my pockets leaving a trail of stuff leading to Island lake. I dove into the lake. I almost inhaled a lung full of water, half hyperventilating from the steep running climb. Just for good measure i swam to the island. But the Horse flys just did not give up. mad.gif I found that if i stood wait deep in the lake a splashed water about, i could easily knock the horse flys in to the lake. Soon all the persistent ones were doing the back stroke biggrin.gif Yep Scrooge....the bugs are bad.
Island lake
Island lake
I sat down for a bit, had a snack, and drank some water. I did not hang out long. 1. Because of the bugs. 2. Because there was some thick smoke blowing past the lake. In the photo the smoke is clearly visable.
smoke at island lake
smoke at island lake
It was obvious there was another wild fire nearby. There was not 2...but 3 abandoned inflatable rafts I managed to pack all of them up.
trash
trash
But i did not have room for the oars.
Oars
Oars
I had to leave them behind. One observation. huh.gif Some one actually packed in some fire wood.
Fire pit
Fire pit
Why would they make the effort to pack in fire wood, and not bother cleaning up. shakehead.gif On the return trip to Boardman lake. I dropped my gear, to take another swim. But gracefully embarassedlaugh.gif stummbled, rolled my ankle and fell face first with arms reach of the lake. shakehead.gif I was going to head up to Blanca lake tonight....not now. mad.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
touron

touron
PostSat Aug 01, 2009 8:12 pm 
Hulksmash wrote:
I ran up and i mean UP the final slope of trail before the lake in an effort to escape the bugs. With in sight of the lake i dropped my gear and emptied my pockets leaving a trail of stuff leading to Island lake. I dove into the lake.
lol.gif This may be why there is some trash around the lake. I can see desperate hikers dropping everything and running into the lake. Good job on hauling out the rafts. up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSat Aug 01, 2009 8:33 pm 
Good job, Bryan.
I've been swimming there twice. Once, like you, to try to get away from the bugs, and a second time, just for fun. I intended to go a third time, but the water was ........ uninviting. It was towards the end of a dry summer and the surface of the lake was coated with a layer of dust and pollen. No outflow. Island Lake gets its water from a really tiny drainage basin, so it doesn't take much of a drought for inflow to be balanced by evaporation. Otherwise, it's a really delightful little lake. ........ Especially now that you've cleaned it up. wink.gif up.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSat Aug 01, 2009 10:23 pm 
Almost forgot...the GPS track
Island Lake map
Island Lake map

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSat Aug 01, 2009 10:52 pm 
You some kind of closet rockclimber, Bryan? Here's the standard route.
How'd you get by that rock buttress that comes down to the water on the north side of the lake? I've approached it from both sides and found it too forbidding for me to attempt. paranoid.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSat Aug 01, 2009 11:08 pm 
There is a boot path right through the rocks. It was easy......for me at least. biggrin.gif I did need to use some vegitation hand holds. embarassedlaugh.gif The three inflatable rafts were not that light and i came back via that route hockeygrin.gif

captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostSat Aug 01, 2009 11:32 pm 
Island Lake does have an outlet, its here,
return to island lake  064
return to island lake 064
then it siphons into a small creek, before it plunges over rocks nearly vertical for about 75' in a slot canyon,
Rotation of return to island lake  070
Rotation of return to island lake 070
then winds its way down into Boardman. Most of Island Lake is pretty shallow, and the outlet is too, so I guess it wouldnt take much for it to stop draining and start to get stagnant. frown.gif Luckily, when I have visited the lake it has always been crystal clear and inviting, with the falls active. tongue.gif The bear lives west of the lake, it's really brushy over there anyways, so there is no good reason for people to be pokin' around on that side. He came up the standard route David, its rocks and roots there right before you get up to the crest, then go down to the lake. There is no trail going down on the west side of the outlet.

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSun Aug 02, 2009 6:34 am 
Captain Jack said
Quote:
He came up the standard route David, its rocks and roots there right before you get up to the crest, then go down to the lake. There is no trail going down on the west side of the outlet.
Sorry for the confusion, CJ. My reference to a "standard route" related to the very non-standard route of the Hulk's GPS track along the north shore of Boardman Lake. He apparently made a near water level traverse around that big rock buttress (see his map ....... and then compare it to mine).
Most people are not able to continue at anything like water level, but are forced to climb all the way up to the top of the slope to get around it. That's why the social trail has developed the way it has, as I belatedly described over in the Partners thread.
Quote:
you go all the way back up to the top, and over the top, into a little valley. Follow the trail left. It'll take you west and back over the top and down to the lake again.
I probed it pretty hard, one time, coming back from the west, but I kept being forced higher and higher, till I gave up and clambered back over the top to hook up with the trail. ......... So I'm very interested to hear how Bryan accomplished his feat. agree.gif .................................................. By the way, that's an exceptionally nice picture of the Island Lake outlet.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSun Aug 02, 2009 9:15 am 
Ok Scrooge..The photo was taken from near the inlet of Boardman toward the outlet. The red arrow shows the rock buttress. It's not that impressive form across the lake embarassedlaugh.gif
Bordman Doodle
Bordman Doodle
For scale....there are two fishermen in float tubes in front of the rock...they are just a couple of pixels. From water level, i agree that rock does look imposing. But what i think your forgetting Scrooge, GPS is not 100% accurate. In ideal conditions the margin for error is still probably 10 feet. In trees next to a lake, probably more like 20 feet. The photo is also an example of how 30 of 40 foot cliffs can be hidden within the topo lines. The topo does not show the rock because although imposing is too small to show the feature on the map. So while i did skirt the shore line, at the location of the rock the shore line just happened to be about 30 feet above the lake. hockeygrin.gif Also, compared to the lake side face of the rock, the sides have a relatively gradual "ramp"

captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostSun Aug 02, 2009 11:05 am 
Over the years the trail along the west shore of Boardman has become more and more pronounced. It goes at least as far as the nice campsite halfway down. I still love that piece of trail up on top of the ridge though, you can hear people down below at the lake, but they have no idea you're there, and its much faster than the lakeside route.

touron

touron
PostSun Aug 02, 2009 11:55 am 
I think Boardman is the only lake I've packed my raft into. I packed it out also. hmmm.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostSun Aug 02, 2009 7:01 pm 
I just can't imagine the mentality that would think it was OK to ditch a defunct IK at a mountain lake. Someone who would do that does not respect the lake. What's wrong with people? Thanks for packing all that crap out. Maybe The Government needs to run that 1970s crying Indian commercial again?

"I aint jokin woman, I got to ramble...We gonna go walkin through the park every day." - Led Zeppelin