Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
b00

b00
PostThu Aug 06, 2009 8:31 pm 
del campo 8-5-09
pano-6.jpg
pano-6.jpg
the third times the charm. it seems i do this scramble every three years. i really was not thinking of del campo. i wanted to do something new. but when the dali r invited me, i accepted.
IMG_9833-masked.jpg
IMG_9833-masked.jpg
i did not want to be the guy that gets invited and then tries to talk everyone else into doing a new peak just because of a prior ascent. trips with the dali are fun, del campo is cool and getting a chance to join ms suze for the first time, hey, how can one refuse.
pano-12.jpg
pano-12.jpg
the monte cristo road from barlow pass looked problematic(it wasn't) so we walked the signed and obvious detour trail above the road. (we just walked the washout road without difficulty on return).
IMG_9909.jpg
IMG_9909.jpg
the trip went flawless and effortlessly as the dali and i followed behind the quicker ms suze.
pano-4.jpg
pano-4.jpg
(found water on the ridge above the lake). spent plenty of time on the summit(no register) and i stopped for a pleasant dip in foggy lake, although i should have swam in one of the lower, warmer ponds.
pano-13.jpg
pano-13.jpg
thanks dali and ms suze for a great day in the mountains! according to the gps: 11.48mi 4870' gain left car: 8:07am summit break: 1:11pm - 2:17pm arrived at car: 6:18pm equipment: helmets, (brought ice axes but did not use) references: see my previous t/r for route info https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15466
del_campo_route.JPG
del_campo_route.JPG
:>)

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostFri Aug 07, 2009 12:38 am 
Thanks Boo. up.gif Gothic and Del Campo are on my list. Does anyone know if the linkup between the two is very easy/obvious?

Curtissimo

Curtissimo
PostFri Aug 07, 2009 10:09 am 
not many details on the scramble... how hard is it?

Gsnorgathon
Mile-per-hour club

Gsnorgathon
Mile-per-hour club
PostFri Aug 07, 2009 2:33 pm 
So - "did not use" means no snow on the trail or not enough snow that you felt the need? I'd love to head up to the basin soon, but snow's a deal-breaker for Mrs. G (not that I blame her!).

smokeydon

smokeydon
PostFri Aug 07, 2009 2:54 pm 
I did Del Campo and Gothic last Sunday. You can avoid most of the snow on Del Campo; you will only have to cross a small 20ft wide section just before heading up the gully (not steep). The traverse betrween the two peaks is not bad. If you do Del Campo first then you can see the route between the two before you cross it. Getting from Del Campo down to the saddle between the two peaks is the worst of it. Gothis has more snow to cross but again not too bad. I did the trip in trail running shoes with trekking poles. Good luck.

iron

iron
PostFri Aug 07, 2009 4:10 pm 
that's one of my favorite areas HW. in fact, that's the first mountain i ever went "off-trail" on, though i didn't have a map or really know what lay ahead. smile.gif glad you got the charm this third time. are you ready for me in 2 weeks?!!!

silence

silence
PostFri Aug 07, 2009 5:17 pm 
ha .. i've often wondered about del campo .. thinking the route was on the north face .. somehow dizzy.gif .. this answers a lot of questions .. cool tr

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
Gsnorgathon
Mile-per-hour club

Gsnorgathon
Mile-per-hour club
PostFri Aug 07, 2009 8:15 pm 
Oops - I should have been more specific - I meant snow on the trail up to the basin. I doubt Mrs. G or I will be feeling frisky enough for a scramble up Del Campo.

b00

b00
PostFri Aug 07, 2009 8:49 pm 
Gsnorgathon wrote:
So - "did not use" means no snow on the trail or not enough snow that you felt the need?
no snow to speak of on the trail. insignificant amount of snow for the scramble - no one in our group even considered using an ice axe.
Quote:
not many details on the scramble... how hard is it?
exposed class 3. for details, please see my previous t/r: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15466
Quote:
Does anyone know if the linkup between the two is very easy/obvious?
i feel it is fairly easy, class 2. not absolutely obvious, but difficult routefinding. i would do del campo first. then return to and go around foggy lake's e side. ascend gothic's se trending ridge until stopped by a rock step on gothic's flank and you should find the scramble route up into some trees on the ridge and then continue to the summit. if you get on anything more than class 2, you are off-route. good luck!
Quote:
are you ready for me in 2 weeks?
raaaaaaace!!!! :>)

The Bubbly Hiker

The Bubbly Hiker
PostFri Aug 07, 2009 8:53 pm 
Gothic peak is better to climb wearing black clothes, black sunscreen, spikes, maybe some tattoos and a few chains for protection. Alternatively, you can wear medieval clothing,

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostFri Aug 07, 2009 11:16 pm 
Nice job! up.gif up.gif Del Campo is a tough scramble!!! Good TR and photos!!

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.