Forum Index > Trip Reports > 1 Day-4 Home Courts: Hard Knox, Thorp, French Cabin, Kachess
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage
PostWed Aug 05, 2009 4:29 pm 
We'd been kicking around the idea of visiting the peaks in the French Cabin Creek area for some time. After Dude cut his finger at work Saturday night, thus making him unable to hold an ice axe, we scrapped what we had planned on doing Sunday and switched to this trip.
GPS route courtesy of yukon222
7 labels
GPS route courtesy of yukon222
We drove up the Kachess Dam Road and series of Forest Service roads to park on Kachess Ridge in the low spot between Hard Knox and the ridge summit. We almost felt guilty about starting out at 4900' - almost. We made our way over to the trail (the USGS map has it wrong, it comes much closer to the road than indicated) and headed north. Before going by Hard Knox the trail passes by Point 5766. Since we were so close, we wandered over to the highest point and took a pictures on the "summit". Since this point lies between Hard Knox and Kachess Ridge, Dude dubbed it "Hard Cheese" (sounded a little better than Hard Chess). Onward we went, first down 200' and then up to the summit of Hard Knox (a.k.a. South Thorp). Various maps have the west summit being higher but it didn't look any higher to us and looking back from various angles throughout the day seemed to indicate that the east summit is indeed higher (sorry Type E).
Tagging Hard Cheese
Tagging Hard Cheese
Hard Knox and Thorp Mountain
Hard Knox and Thorp Mountain
Yukon goes to the school of Hard Knox
Yukon goes to the school of Hard Knox
Hanging at the summit
Hanging at the summit
Hibox to Daniel behind Thorp Mountain
17 labels
Hibox to Daniel behind Thorp Mountain
Hard Knox summit pic
Hard Knox summit pic
Our original plan was to turn around and do all three French Cabin summits but from our vantage on Hard Knox we could see that the South and North summits are just treed bumps. Thus, we decided to continue north onto Thorp Mountain instead since Yukon and the whippets had never been there and we hadn't visited since 2002. Thorp Mountain is a popular place and we bumped into many parties going up, coming down, and on the summit. At the lookout, Roughneck recognized the whippets and came over to introduce himself.
Alpine blooms and Mount Stuart
Alpine blooms and Mount Stuart
Babe and blooms
Babe and blooms
Dude at the Lookout
Dude at the Lookout
Mount Stuart from Thorp Mountain
Mount Stuart from Thorp Mountain
Lemah, Chimney Rock, and Summit Chief
Lemah, Chimney Rock, and Summit Chief
Bears Breast, Hinman, Daniel
Bears Breast, Hinman, Daniel
Babe gets her shot
Babe gets her shot
Mount Rainier
Mount Rainier
Panoramination
Panoramination
Thorp Lake
Thorp Lake
Thorp Mountain group shot
Thorp Mountain group shot
Jeremy and Tisha at the Thorp Mountain Lookout, 07/19/09
Jeremy and Tisha at the Thorp Mountain Lookout, 07/19/09
Jeremy and Tisha at the Thorp Mountain Lookout, 07/17/02
Pano looking northerly from Thorp Mountain
36 labels
Pano looking northerly from Thorp Mountain
Stuart to Rainier from Thorp Mountain
Stuart to Rainier from Thorp Mountain
After taking our fill of pictures on Thorp Mountain we beat trail back to the truck where we exchanged our water bottles with the ones left on ice in the cooler. Then we made our way south over to the 5000' pass west of the French Tongue and down the Silver Creek Trail. Shortly after crossing the creek, we connected with the trail that heads west towards the French Cabin Mountains. ~5,200' we came to a sharp switchback with a group taking a break next to it. This is the key jump off point and we headed uphill to the French Cabin Mountain (a.k.a. West French Cabin Mountain) summit.
Kachess Ridge, Mount Rainier and our parking spot
5 labels
Kachess Ridge, Mount Rainier and our parking spot
The French Tongue
The French Tongue
Yukon leads the way to French Pass
Yukon leads the way to French Pass
Dude on the way up to French Cabin Mountain
Dude on the way up to French Cabin Mountain
Yukon almost to the summit
Yukon almost to the summit
View W-NW from French Cabin Mountain
View W-NW from French Cabin Mountain
Mount Rainier from French Cabin Mountain
Mount Rainier from French Cabin Mountain
Vicious flowers ready to bite!
Vicious flowers ready to bite!
Columbia lewisia
Columbia lewisia
Smiling on the summit
Smiling on the summit
Mountain Goat hair mustache
Mountain Goat hair mustache
French Cabin Mountain gathering
French Cabin Mountain gathering
View of Stuart to Rainier from French Cabin Mountain
7 labels
View of Stuart to Rainier from French Cabin Mountain
View North to East from French Cabin Mountain
View North to East from French Cabin Mountain
We retraced our steps all the way to the pass below French Tongue (a.k.a. Cyclops Spire, a.k.a. Little Pecker Peak) where we found a climbers path heading up its slopes. The path faded quickly but we made our way up circling around its south and west sides to a small col just west and about 100' below the summit. Randy's trip report stated that they climbed up a class 4 section directly from the col but found "easier rock" on the way down. Dude went ahead to scout the way up. He followed a partially hidden ledge around to the south to a scrubby tree and then climbed up a section with great handholds (class 3+) before walking up to the summit. It was much easier that it looked from below. Yukon and Babe went to follow but the dogs started freaking out about being left behind so we decided one person summitting for the team was good enough.
Bear Grass
Bear Grass
Now it's time for French Tongue and Kachess Ridge
Now it's time for French Tongue and Kachess Ridge
Rowena takes a dirt bath as we rest at the pass
Rowena takes a dirt bath as we rest at the pass
Yikes, the French Tongue looks intimidating from here
Yikes, the French Tongue looks intimidating from here
Scrambling around the French Tongue
Scrambling around the French Tongue
Dude walks along the ledge looking for the route up
Dude walks along the ledge looking for the route up
Where's dad going?
Where's dad going?
French Tongue summit pano
French Tongue summit pano
After Dude rejoined the group, off we went towards our final objective. We found a faint climbers path on the ridge crest that led us up to Point 5525, Kachess Ridge, our fourth Home Court peak of the day. It is worth noting that we didn't find a single register on any of the peaks we climbed this day so if anyone is in the area they might want to bring some with them (something we've said we're going to do but never get around to it). Instead of going back down to meet the trail at the French Pass we followed the climbers path that ran down the ridge directly back to where we parked the truck. Awaiting us in the cooler was our end-of-the-day treats, ice cold Mike's Hard Lemonades. A perfect way to end a great day.
French Tongue in front, Mount Stuart behind from Kachess Ridge
French Tongue in front, Mount Stuart behind from Kachess Ridge
Kachess Lake and Mount Rainier from Kachess Ridge
Kachess Lake and Mount Rainier from Kachess Ridge
S-Team on Kachess Ridge
S-Team on Kachess Ridge
Another angle of the French Tongue from our way back to the truck
Another angle of the French Tongue from our way back to the truck
Babe leads the way back to the truck
Babe leads the way back to the truck
A toast to a great day of peakbagging
A toast to a great day of peakbagging
Full flickr set here.

"Forest 101: These big wood stick things are called trees. The big rocks are called mountains, and the little rocks are their babies." Elliott from Open Season
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
yukon222

yukon222
PostWed Aug 05, 2009 4:41 pm 
More pics!!! hockeygrin.gif
DSD_2732 Alti-Babe picking out peaks from French Cabin West Peak summit
DSD_2732 Alti-Babe picking out peaks from French Cabin West Peak summit
DSD_2751 Columbia Lewisia - tiny 1/2" flower
DSD_2751 Columbia Lewisia - tiny 1/2" flower
DSD_2766 Alti-Babe enjoying French Cabin West Peak summit
DSD_2766 Alti-Babe enjoying French Cabin West Peak summit
DSD_2778 "Why'd you wake me up?"
DSD_2778 "Why'd you wake me up?"
DSD_2783 Alti-Dude climbing French Tongue
DSD_2783 Alti-Dude climbing French Tongue
DSD_2786 Alti-Dude topping out on French Tongue
DSD_2786 Alti-Dude topping out on French Tongue
DSD_2811 French Tongue's Class 3+
8 labels

gone

gone
PostWed Aug 05, 2009 5:38 pm 
Cool trip, lot of great info and pics! up.gif smile.gif I've been eyeballing the French Cabin Basin for a while, thinking to perhaps come up from the creek, wondering whether it might make for a nice fall hike. Thanks for sharing all the details!

Type E

Type E
PostWed Aug 05, 2009 5:41 pm 
Great, now I have to go back and do Hard Knox again. That area is so much nicer than one would think just looking at a map. Maybe I will have to go back and mount the Little Pecker since I will be so close.....maybe mounting isn't the right word. E

Roughneck

Roughneck
PostWed Aug 05, 2009 7:42 pm 
Nice to meet you and thanks for the trail info. Your photos are great! I'll certainly have to go back and spend some more time in the area.

Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostWed Aug 05, 2009 8:36 pm 
Schmidt Altitude wrote:
I love the retro rewind! Great pictures from a plethora of peaks, well done all. ~Jo

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage
PostThu Aug 06, 2009 3:15 pm 
yukon222 wrote:
8 labels
Gotta love those zoom lenses. I labeled the route that I took up. It was easier to summit than it looks from afar but there was still some exposure. -Dude ewb: We don't know about fall colors but being a tad cooler in temperature would have been nice. Type E: mounting embarassedlaugh.gif Roughneck: Thanks

"Forest 101: These big wood stick things are called trees. The big rocks are called mountains, and the little rocks are their babies." Elliott from Open Season
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Aug 06, 2009 3:23 pm 
Cool mini-high route. up.gif I scrambled the knob you call "French Tongue" back in the early 90's with a guy who lives near there, but I never expected to see mention of it in a TR. biggrin.gif

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostThu Aug 06, 2009 3:32 pm 
Just about exactly seven years since the first photo. I like the concept. up.gif I think time has been kind to you two.

she hikes in beauty

she hikes in beauty
PostThu Aug 06, 2009 5:41 pm 
Nice pics. Heading up that way this weekend....Been out that way before but will try a different route this time. Hope the weather is nice!

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostThu Aug 06, 2009 11:55 pm 
Nice TR! It is good to see you'll still knocking them down!!

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostFri Aug 07, 2009 1:07 am 
Nice trip - an underrated area. Can you add some hints about how you drive up to where you started? Did you consider going out to Pt 5418 east of Hard Knox? When I was near Thorp this spring it looked spectacular.
I was surprised to see such rugged terrain in this part of the cascades. The rock in the middle is marked Pt 5418 on the topo maps, but it deserves a name. French Cabin Mountain is the long ridge in the back.
4 labels
I was surprised to see such rugged terrain in this part of the cascades. The rock in the middle is marked Pt 5418 on the topo maps, but it deserves a name. French Cabin Mountain is the long ridge in the back.

yukon222

yukon222
PostFri Aug 07, 2009 6:36 am 
Sure, Puzzlr. Exit 70 at Easton, over I-90, left on road so you are heading back to the north. Go past 3, maybe 4 roads/driveways on your right until you see Forest Service Road 4818 on your right (it is also the road that gets you back towards Thomas Mtn, Silver Creek, etc). Stay on this 4818 for several miles as it wraps around the east side of Lake Kachess. You'll go past a bunch of cabins, then look for FS Road 4824 off to your right to get up the ridge. Up until that point, the road is in decent shape. 4824 is narrower and a few more potholes. A car could make it with careful driving. Halfway up the ridge around 3300', turn right onto FS 115. Follow that the rest of the way to the ridge. On the first Topo map Alti-Dude posted, my truck was parked at Waypoint 006. He also has that map labelled. I've attached another map with the road numbers. The ridgeline hiking up there was excellent. Steady breeze, mix of trees/sunshine and consistent good views. Dude mentioned the rocky point you are talking about. In fact, he said it was "Puzzlr's Point" as he thought you had climbed it before. Didn't really consider running over to tag it as we had a full day planned already. Think the day was 13 miles and 6500' vertical.
french cabin roads
french cabin roads