Forum Index > Trip Reports > Louis Lake (and Heather Lk) Little Wenatchee - 8/6/09
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostThu Aug 06, 2009 7:46 pm 
After our day hike into Horse Shoe Lake my hiking group decided to make one of our daily mid week hikes into the Cascades rather than just loop around the Wenatchee area. Last week it was up the White River and Indian Creek to scout out the old trail into Airplane Lake. It was a beautiful hike but other than seeing a bear we decided the trail photos did not warrant a TR. This week we went into Louis Lake with a side trip into Heather Lake (Little Wenatchee). We managed to muster five hikers this week but lost two along the way. The hike into Heather was a rather routine hour and half and amazingly bug free. We had the beautiful lake to ourselves as we took a few photos and pondered our route into Louis Lake just over the hill. Since we didn’t see any sign of a side trail on the way to Heather we decided to go for it, straight up the hill (mistake!!). One member and one dog had the good sense to bail at that point so the four of us attacked the hill, brush and cliffs. Half way up a steep cliff covered with slide alder a second group member and the other two dogs got smart and yelled “see you at the car”. About 40 minutes later Phil, John and I crashed through a brushy slope and spotted the lake. It is small but in a picturesque setting. We ate lunch to the sight of fish rising all around the lake. Phil tried his luck but we were at the shallow end and he could not get his fly out far enough. The trip back to the Heather Lake trail was a lot like the route in, steep cliffs and thick brush. There has to be a better way in than the way we went!! But rather than worry about that we are planning where to go next week.
Heather Lake
Heather Lake
Heather Group3
Heather Group3
Heather Group2
Heather Group2
Louis Lake
Louis Lake
John and Phil at Louis
John and Phil at Louis
Phil and I at Louis
Phil and I at Louis

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostThu Aug 06, 2009 8:21 pm 
Nice trip, guys. up.gif I got nailed on the way out from Louis by yellow-jackets/hornets a couple years ago. Our route went around the east end of the Heather/Louis ridge (but not too far east...cliffs!) Just past the switchbacks and before reaching Heather, we took off from the trail at a boggy-meadowy spot. That seemed to work pretty well for Leafguy, Steve and I.

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri Aug 07, 2009 11:27 am 
On our way out we hit the Heather Lake trail where it touches Lake Creek, about a quarter mile from the lake. In retrospect I cannot say I would recommend that route down. And, I think the rest of the crew would concur.