Forum Index > Trip Reports > Tolmie Peak Moonrise/Sunset 8.5.09
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hesman

Hesman
PostThu Aug 06, 2009 2:53 pm 
With everyone I tried to get to go with me on this hike having bailed or coming up with some lame excuse not to come ( mad.gif ); I was able to talk my folks in coming with me. They did not go with me to Spray Park earlier in the day, only meeting up with me at the Mowich Lake Campground a bit after 2:30 in the afternoon. They set up their tent and we had a bite to eat before beginning the walk to Tolmie Peak. Going to Tolmie Peak to watch the full moon rise over the northern flanks of Mt. Rainier and to watch the sun set over the Puget Sound and the Olympics is something I have been doing for the last 6 years. The main point is to go on the day that the moon is full, otherwise there isn't really a point in going. This year the moon rose and the sun set at dang near the same time. We began hiking at about 5:00 and walked the trail along Mowich Lake towards Tolmie Peak. On the way we stopped at Ipsut Pass and the mosquitoes found us right away. But, I had noticed that the breeze I had encountered earlier in the day had picked up a little. This gave me hope that it would be keeping the mosquitoes away once we reached the fire lookout on Tolmie. Upon arriving at Tolmie, there was a steady cold breeze blowing and no bugs. We had arrived about an hour and a half before the moon was to rise and the sun was to set. So, we walked to the north summit of Tolmie to check that out. We saw two people show up at the lookout and I thought they might be staying for the moon rise and the sun set. But, they were just out for a late evening walk. We all arrived back at the lookout in time to start watching the sun sink below a band of clouds. I knew the moon was to start rising a few minutes after 8:30 and it began to show itself at 8:40 with a ever so slight sliver of gold. Sadly, I didn't have my camera on the right setting, so I didn't get a good sequence of the moon rising above the ridge like I had last year. But it was spectacular nonetheless. About half an hour after the moon had risen, we began the hike back in the dark to Mowich Lake. I'd have to say that its better to hike out with other people than by myself, like last year. The picture show:
Tolmie Peak Fire Lookout
Tolmie Peak Fire Lookout
Eunice Lake
Eunice Lake
The Sunset:
Sunset 4
Sunset 4
Sunset 7
Sunset 7
The Panos:
Eunice Lake and Rainier
Eunice Lake and Rainier
Ridges
Ridges
Cloud Filled Carbon River Valley
Cloud Filled Carbon River Valley

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
stacymarie

stacymarie
PostThu Aug 06, 2009 4:08 pm 
what a lovely idea and great pictures, I'm glad you had company this year! You may just see me up there sometime smile.gif

life is short, but sweet for certain my website: www.lostintheecotone.com
El Dooder
Green Earth Bum

El Dooder
Green Earth Bum
PostThu Aug 06, 2009 6:33 pm 
I really like Sunset 7. Just sublime. up.gif

Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostThu Aug 06, 2009 7:01 pm 
Nice to see what I missed. Glad you didn't fall going down. Still nursing my knee from that one. I saw that moon too, from Chinook pass, so amazing..

Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W
PostThu Aug 06, 2009 7:39 pm 
I had the same idea a couple of years ago, but sadly was too exhilarated in seeing the moon rise to consider my composition (which was, in hindsight, abysmal). But it was nevertheless a jaw-dropping experience (and a head-dropping experience the next day at work!). Simply magnificent.

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostThu Aug 06, 2009 8:19 pm 
You got some great weather this year Hes, better than the year I went up there with you. Great looking shots too up.gif

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostThu Aug 06, 2009 8:46 pm 
Beautiful picture show Hesman. I'd like to go with you one of these times. It's nice your folks went along. up.gif Did you take any pictures of them? This is my favorite sunset. I like the fog rolling around
Hesmeister wrote:
Sunset 4
Sunset 4
This is my favorvite moon shot. Man on the Moon on the Mountain!
Hesmeister wrote:

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostThu Aug 06, 2009 9:05 pm 
excellent up.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss