Forum Index > Trip Reports > Spray Park 8.5.09
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hesman

Hesman
PostThu Aug 06, 2009 2:32 pm 
I arrived at Mowich Lake a bit after 9:00 in the morning to claim a campsite. With the intention to hike to Spray Park and do my annual Tolmie Peak full moon rise over Rainier and sun set over the Puget Sound trip, I knew I would be too tired to drive home in the middle of the night. After claiming a campsite with my tent, in a corner of the campground, I set off to Spray Falls and Spray Park. I made good time on the trail through the trees to Spray Falls and this was where I saw the first group of hikers of the day leaving Spray Falls. Where the trail ends at the creek below Spray Falls, I left my pack so I could climb up along the creek aways so I could get a good picture of the falls. With it being the middle of the week, I had Spray Falls all to myself, unlike the last time I visited the falls. It was hopping with people on that trip. After completing my mission of getting some excellent pictures of Spray Falls, I returned to my pack and continued up the switchbacking trail towards Spray Park. Until I had reached the lower extremities of Spray Park, there had been very few bugs. I had begun to wonder if there would be any bugs, since previous trip reports mentioned a lot of bugs. But, once I began hiking into Spray Park I was soon attacked by horse flies and vampirish mosquitoes. I hoped the mosquitoes would not be this bad later in the day at Tolmie Peak. (Last year at Tolmie Peak I was almost sucked dry of blood by the mosquitoes. eek.gif ) As I hiked farther up the trail I noticed a breeze was beginning to pick up, so I hoped it would be present at Tolmie Peak. I hiked past the spot where I turned around the last time I visited Spray Park with the intention to make to the top of the ridge that the trail goes over. I wanted to find a good spot to eat lunch. I passed several hikers before reaching the crest of the ridge and about half a mile below where the trail begins its descent towards the Carbon River. One of the people I passed told me of a good spot to eat lunch. I'm not sure if I found the spot the hiker had told me about, but I found a good rock to sit on with a great view of Mist Park and Rainier. Rainier had a hat of clouds. The mosquitoes were so bad that I didn't even finish eating lunch. I must have had at least 100 mosquitoes hovering around me. I had a jacket draped over my legs and a fleece jacket draped over my head and I was still getting sucked dry of blood. eek.gif I quickly took a couple of pictures before hurriedly packing up and heading back towards Mowich Lake; where I finished eating lunch without any bugs. So, does anyone out there know when the best time to visit Spray Park and miss all the bugs? The picture show:
Stepping Stones
Stepping Stones
Spray Falls
Spray Falls
Spray Falls Detail
Spray Falls Detail
The flowers:
Lyall's Saxifrage
Lyall's Saxifrage
False Dugbane
False Dugbane
Scouler's Corydalis
Scouler's Corydalis
Bird's Beak Lousewort
Bird's Beak Lousewort
Mt. Rainier Lousewort
Mt. Rainier Lousewort
Jeffery's Shooting Star
Jeffery's Shooting Star
Mountain Larkspur
Mountain Larkspur
Lewis's Monkeyflower
Lewis's Monkeyflower
Bear Grass Flower
Bear Grass Flower
Avalanche Lily
Avalanche Lily

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
aywolfpac

aywolfpac
PostThu Aug 06, 2009 4:19 pm 
Excellent variety of flowers. The avalanche lily shot is my fav.

Slow Hiker

Slow Hiker
PostThu Aug 06, 2009 4:49 pm 
Wow, quite a few of the not so common flowers. Thanks for identifying them. I did not know what the Lousewort was.... And that there were even two varieties of them.

Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostThu Aug 06, 2009 7:04 pm 
I like in the fall too, late september no bugs and fall colors..or even Oct light dusting of snow.

Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostThu Aug 06, 2009 7:50 pm 
Nice flower shots and thanks for the identity. up.gif

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostThu Aug 06, 2009 9:07 pm 
okay.......what kind of camera do you use, H? great photos of the wildflowers

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
stacymarie

stacymarie
PostFri Aug 07, 2009 10:44 am 
with the flowers come the bugs, unfortunately. next time bring a good bug spray smile.gif I'm still scratching at my horsefly bites from last weekend!

life is short, but sweet for certain my website: www.lostintheecotone.com
loper

loper
PostFri Aug 07, 2009 6:28 pm 
Great Pictures!

rickandpat
Rick and Pat

rickandpat
Rick and Pat
PostMon Aug 10, 2009 4:53 am 
I was there a week earlier than you. No bugs - but much fewer flowers too. I was actually a little disappointed because I was hoping for quite a wildflower display. I got that at Paradise 3 days later - and now that I think of it, no bugs.