Forum Index > Trip Reports > Short Hike to Cathedral Rock / Peggy's Pond - 08/08/09
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
straydog
slave to a monolith

straydog
slave to a monolith
PostMon Aug 10, 2009 8:59 pm 
Thought it was time to revisit Cathedral Rock and take a look at Peggy’s Pond. Got up to the Cathedral TH about 9:00am and set out for Squaw Lake. It was a very quiet hike as I only came across a man and his son who had stopped to rest. We chatted a bit and turns out that they were just starting out on a 6-day trip through to Stevens Pass. Squaw Lake was great. No people and a nice breeze so I stopped and took in some water and a couple of pictures.
Squaw Lake
Squaw Lake
Just as I was leaving, a few people were starting to make their way into the Lake basin. I moved on up the trail towards Cathedral Rock, stopping long enough to admire the view. The breeze picked up a bit here and it was cooling down a bit. The area was right on the edge of the clouds covering the West side, so it made for some great views as they broke and moved over across the ridgeline.
Cathedral Rock
Cathedral Rock
I arrived at the split between PCT and the trail to Peggy’s Pond and considered doing the loop down to Deception Pass, but after hearing so much about Peggy’s Pond and having never seen it, decided to take a look. As I arrived at Peggy’s Pond, I have to admit to being a bit underwhelmed… pretty little lake/pond, but I don’t quite get the hoopla about it. However, the meadows above the pond were fantastic.
Peggy's Pond Meadow #1
Peggy's Pond Meadow #1
Peggy's Pond Meadow #2
Peggy's Pond Meadow #2
There was a brisk breeze/wind and it was getting cooler as the clouds moved over, so after eating lunch and chatting with the USFS folks (they were prepping the camping areas) it was time to head back. Was hoping to take a few more photos of the views over the Cascades, but it was very hazy, so I just enjoyed the walk back down to the TH and called it a day. Round trip ~10 miles, 6 hours, 2600ft elev.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
touron

touron
PostMon Aug 10, 2009 10:39 pm 
Nice pictures! up.gif up.gif up.gif Peggy's Pond is a neat place to go too when the colors start to change.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message