Forum Index > Trip Reports > East Tiger midweek Road walk 08/12/2009
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
tigermn

tigermn
PostThu Aug 13, 2009 10:29 am 
Wanted something close/that I hadn't done in a while, so the east Tiger road walk.. Most people mountain bike this if anything. For some reason a road walk today just didn't seem too bad.
East Tiger road route
East Tiger road route
I was debating at home as it started raining, but was all ready to go so packed the umbrella and headed out. Also this was really the only day midweek I was able to hike.Actually at the Tiger summit parking it was not raining. The top of Tiger looked to be in the clouds on the drive over. Strange the gate was actually open (to be closed on the return)
Going through the gate up to East Tiger,
Going through the gate up to East Tiger,
Actually it never rained and in fact the clouds lifted somewhat over the summit. On the way up and down only saw maybe a total of a dozen mountain bikers and a couple of trucks driving the road. The brush to the side was definitely wet. Were you to bushwhack you would have gotten wet. One advantage to a road I guess, no wet brush. smile.gif A few flower/plant shots for fun since not much else.
Berries of some sort off of East Tiger road.
Berries of some sort off of East Tiger road.
Devils Club off of East Tiger road.
Devils Club off of East Tiger road.
Flowers off of East Tiger road.
Flowers off of East Tiger road.
Berry closeup.
Berry closeup.
Flowers on East Tiger road.
Flowers on East Tiger road.
Some partial views.
Some views walking up East Tiger road.
Some views walking up East Tiger road.
Clouds ahead towards East Tiger summit.
Clouds ahead towards East Tiger summit.
The road washout still keeping that upper spur closed.
Road closed up to East Tiger.
Road closed up to East Tiger.
Washout why/where road closed.
Washout why/where road closed.
Rock slide further down after closed section.
Rock slide further down after closed section.
Area where rocks came from on slide.
Area where rocks came from on slide.
The final part could see towers ahead in partial clouds.
Last steeper road section to East Tiger summit.
Last steeper road section to East Tiger summit.
East Tiger towers.
East Tiger towers.
After an hour and 19 minutes the summit was reached.
East Tiger summit.
East Tiger summit.
East Tiger summit.
East Tiger summit.
The best of the views.
East Tiger summit.
East Tiger summit.
East Tiger summit.
East Tiger summit.
East Tiger summit.
East Tiger summit.
East Tiger summit.
East Tiger summit.
View from viewspot just before final gate on East Tiger spur.
View from viewspot just before final gate on East Tiger spur.
After a brief snack it was back down the road. The trip down a bit faster and uneventful. Weather got nicer throughout the evening. An hour and 7 minutes from the summit I was back to the car dry at least.
VIews on lower East Tiger road.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
whitebark

whitebark
PostThu Aug 13, 2009 4:38 pm 
That road walk up to East Tiger is strangely enjoyable...perhaps because this is one of the more open and sunny of the Tiger hikes. For a variation on the hike, ascend to "sally's summit", which is the high point about 3/4 mile SE of E Tiger. Continue on the crude trail down the south side of the summit. The trail rejoins the E Tiger road part way down.

tigermn

tigermn
PostFri Aug 14, 2009 6:55 am 
whitebark wrote:
That road walk up to East Tiger is strangely enjoyable...perhaps because this is one of the more open and sunny of the Tiger hikes. For a variation on the hike, ascend to "sally's summit", which is the high point about 3/4 mile SE of E Tiger. Continue on the crude trail down the south side of the summit. The trail rejoins the E Tiger road part way down.
I'm not sure what "trail" you are talking about. I'm assuming you are calling the 2786 point "sally's summit" as that is the unnamed point SE of East Tiger? All I see is the road that continues past the turnoff summit road and basically continues eastward but no trails heading south. Is this one of those not on the map trails? If so where does it come out?

whitebark

whitebark
PostFri Aug 14, 2009 10:21 am 
Hi TM, The trail to "Sally's Summit" is not shown on any map. It starts at the high point of the adjacent road and follows the ridge crest to the summit. There is no view from the top, but you will see a nice silver fir forest and a geocache is located there. As I mentioned before, the trail continues beyond the peak and eventually rejoins the E Tiger road part way down. I posted a report on the Sally's Summit trail on wta.org sometime ago. Unfortunately, DNR land managers read the WTA trip reports, and after seeing my report they started testily quizzing Issaquah Alps Trails Club members about the "new" trail. The DNR has lately taken a hard line on unauthorized trail building and maintenance on Tiger Mountain. So, the moral of the story is be careful what you post on the WTA website.

tigermn

tigermn
PostFri Aug 14, 2009 10:53 am 
Ok so just keep up the road past the spur going left to East Summit then... I'll have to look for a trail. I have never walked further up that road. It would be kind of nice to have more trails on that side of Tiger. I see some of those trails that do exist have a seasonal closure Oct 15th - April 15th. The Highway 18 summit parking is really (besides maybe Cougar and Squak) the quickest area for me to get to from home to hike.