Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mission Ridge Bomber Wreckage + Marion, Clara Lakes 8-18-09
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostTue Aug 18, 2009 3:07 pm 
Our hiking group’s mid-week trip into the Cascades failed to launch last week and was having trouble getting legs this week until we started comparing notes and discovered several members had never been into the B-24 Liberator Bomber wreckage up at the Mission Ridge ski area(John had skied by the wing monument but that doesn’t count). So, I recruited a member from our winter ski group and we had a quorum. You can get to the plane wreak area several ways but we decided to take the easy way and hike up the ski lift service road while it was still cool and maybe loop back into Marion and Clara Lakes in the trees after it got hot. The ski area is on Forest Service land so hiking access is not a problem. You just need to respect the rules, i.e., no motorized vehicles on the service road (mt. bikes are ok). And, most importantly, don’t take any souvenirs from the wreckage home with you. The wreckage is scattered over a wide area but most of it is to the left of the Bomber Chutes ski runs and just below Mission Ridge summit (the poor souls almost made it over the top). Anyone who has ever skied the Bomber Bowl run knows one wing has been mounted along with a memorial to the crew at the top of the run. Local lore has it that anyone skiing that run must stop and pay respects to the crew by touching the upper left side of the wing or it will be bad karma for the rest of the day!!!
MissionWing
MissionWing
We had an interesting time exploring the site. Phil, being a retired commercial pilot gave us a lot of first hand information about the plane.
Service Road
Service Road
MidWay lift
MidWay lift
Wreckage
Wreckage
Debris
Debris
Wing
Wing
Rear Stabilizer
Rear Stabilizer
John, me, Phil
John, me, Phil
Debris2
Debris2
Inspection Team
Inspection Team
Engines
Engines
John, Phil, Jonathan
John, Phil, Jonathan
Landing Gear2
Landing Gear2
engine2
engine2
Tail Section
Tail Section
Landing Gear
Landing Gear
Two Engines
Two Engines
Debris3
Debris3
Engine
Engine
John, Jonathan, Me near top
John, Jonathan, Me near top
After around 40 minutes looking around we looped down and found the trail to Clara and Marion lakes. Phil spotted some fish in the upper lake and pulled out his pole. When we left him he was feverishly thrashing the water with his line. It was starting to get hot so we left him to it and hiked back the ski area parking lot to call it a day.
Clara Lake
Clara Lake
Marion Lake
Marion Lake

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bluebird_Daze
Chossbagger

Bluebird_Daze
Chossbagger
PostTue Aug 18, 2009 3:37 pm 
Thanks for the report and pictures. I have paid homage to the bomber wing a zillion and three times in the winter, but have never visited the wreckage site in summer. I will definitely be checking it out soon. Thanks again.

You cannot step twice into the same river, for other waters are continually flowing on. Heraclitus
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostWed Aug 19, 2009 9:28 am 
Phil checked back in with us later yesterday. He did indeed score a fish at the lake.
Bomber Hike Catch
Bomber Hike Catch

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostThu Oct 28, 2010 9:10 pm 
Cool! I love to find wreckage.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu Oct 28, 2010 9:46 pm 
Those pics made me do a double take, then I saw the date.

Living in the Anthropocene
TokyoTessie

TokyoTessie
PostThu Oct 28, 2010 11:54 pm 
Wow, I've skiied past that bomber wing many times, but didn't realize there was more wreckage under the snow. Will have to make a summer pilgramage one of these days.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostFri Oct 29, 2010 12:17 am 
Humm. Looked at the pics several times. I wonder why i don't see the blower section attached to any of those engines. Maybe some of the air plane parts got salvaged in the past.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri Oct 29, 2010 7:01 am 
Hulksmash wrote:
Humm. Looked at the pics several times. I wonder why i don't see the blower section attached to any of those engines. Maybe some of the air plane parts got salvaged in the past.
Phil says a lot of stuff has been salvaged since those kind of parts are getting rare now. Of course that is a big no-no.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostFri Oct 29, 2010 10:23 am 
HitTheTrail wrote:
Hulksmash wrote:
Phil says a lot of stuff has been salvaged since those kind of parts are getting rare now. Of course that is a big no-no.
In the 30's and 40's P&W R1830's were produced in the hundreds of thousands. It has the distinction of being the most produced aircraft engine. At one point in the past they were so common, that if there was a failure of some sort, prop strike, over-speed, operators would just get a new engine and basically dispose of the old one. This is because so many were available it was less expensive then overhauling it. Of course now this is not the case. In the late 90's i worked for a company in Everett that overhauled those engines. Even then new old stock parts were still available! Some stuff is in reproduction. There are about 300 DC-3's in flying condition right now which use that engine. Many of those are still in commercial service.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential