Forum Index > Trip Reports > Big Four through the back door 8/16-17/09
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mtn Dog
Technohiker

Mtn Dog
Technohiker
PostThu Aug 20, 2009 10:00 pm 
I have to wonder, Jim. Did you see the Big 4 while you were there or perhaps even stand on it, or is it already melted out by this time of year? It was 20 years ago when I saw it - I was standing in Glacier Basin at the time...

Footprints on the sands of time will never be made sitting down.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostThu Aug 20, 2009 10:22 pm 
That is one amazing trip report. Great pictures, especially old school stacked pitons for a rappel. The ridge is way more complicated than I imagined. Now I know why most people don't go that way. hockeygrin.gif I would like to climb Big Four someday...

Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostFri Aug 21, 2009 9:25 am 
Mt. Dog - no 4 was sighted by us, but we were not really in a position to see it (Dickerman is better). Magellan, while Jeff and I had ambitions to complete the traverse over to the true summit of Big Four the rotten rock, multiple rappels, and climbing back put us off. This really isn't a good route for the main peak. Here are a couple more shots for those who share my obsession with this mountain.
View from Del Campo in the spring
View from Del Campo in the spring
Big Four North Face in winter (best time to climb if you prefer ice to brush and crap rock). [b:278a2b45b9]Large[/b:278a2b45b9] ~2 MB file
Big Four North Face in winter (best time to climb if you prefer ice to brush and crap rock). Large ~2 MB file

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostFri Aug 21, 2009 6:30 pm 
I have spent a lot of time thinking about Big Four. Ever since I saw that ridge from Vesper several years back I figured it was probably my only chance of getting up the beast. Thanks for showing us what it's like up there. May be I'll give it a try one of these days.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostFri Aug 21, 2009 11:47 pm 
Very nice work -- the climb, the photography, and the writeup. up.gif up.gif Thanks Jim!

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Shred

Shred
PostTue Aug 25, 2009 8:54 am 
Nice write up Jim! It has me yearning to be strolling along that impressive hunk of granite of a alpine ridge, once again. Thanks for stoke! Its always great to have a buddy that is just as psyched as you are. wink.gif Now lets get to work on our last failed project doh.gif