Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Why Cliff Mass is great
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Jun 02, 2011 3:10 pm 
Yes, that is true. It is needless though and it would be nice if they'd get the pressure to show him the latitude they permit the other folks.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Jun 02, 2011 3:12 pm 
I kinda like the drifts....but sometimes I think the drifts got too excessive. I disagree with keeping it totally weather related, but I also disagree with the amount of drifts. Some drifts okay leading into a separate topic on the next hour would be my choice.

Art is an adventure.
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Jun 02, 2011 3:13 pm 
I'll buy that for a dollar. embarassedlaugh.gif OK, I'll send them a note, not the petition though, asking them to bring back Cliff simply because I liked his show.

David¹
Token Canadian

David¹
Token Canadian
PostThu Jun 02, 2011 3:26 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
It doesn't take a PhD in math to know that 2+2 isn't 5, and seeing what is wrong with what they are pushing doesn't take a degree either.
Let's set aside Cliff's specific education and experience for a moment since it is immaterial to the point I was making. The problem as Cliff assert it is that Washington students are not good enough at math and that high tech companies like Boeing and Microsoft have to import them from elsewhere. We have many examples of that very scenario on this board. JK (Mr. Ingunn) for example was imported from Norway to work for Microsoft. The theory goes that he took a job away from someone who went to school in Washington because that person in Washington didn't get a proper education. That sounds reasonable on the surface but would you argue that the Mariners could field a competitive team solely using athletes that were born & raised in Washington? Does Japan have some special athletic training not available in America and that's why they had to import Ichiro? Could I have developed Ichiro's talent if I had that training? Math talent just like athletic ability is not evenly distributed. Washington state has 1/1000th of the World's population. If Microsoft wants the top talent and they can draw from the whole planet no amount of education can make up that gap.

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Jun 02, 2011 3:33 pm 
Certainly the Mariners could get a better left fielder by randomly sticking a pin in a Washington phone book and signing whoever answers the phone call. embarassedlaugh.gif

David¹
Token Canadian

David¹
Token Canadian
PostThu Jun 02, 2011 4:07 pm 
Slugman wrote:
Certainly the Mariners could get a better left fielder by randomly sticking a pin in a Washington phone book and signing whoever answers the phone call. embarassedlaugh.gif
Sample size - don't write off a 24yr old kid after just 59 AB

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Jun 02, 2011 4:34 pm 
Hey, I like The Condor. But right now, he's The Turkey. The team is a contender in the division, so waiting a couple of years for this kid to hit over .200 just isn't going to cut it. He hits now, or he goes to Tacoma, and the Mariners scour the waiver wire for a warm body, or something. Anyway, I wasn't trying to single him out, they have all been awful. None of them could "single out" of a paper bag. embarassedlaugh.gif Sorry for the drift. But I guess Mr Mass would approve of it. embarassedlaugh.gif

ejain

ejain
PostFri Jun 03, 2011 12:17 am 
Slugman wrote:
I'd fire him, too.
Go ahead, but if this resulted in fewer listeners (and therefore lower advertising revenue), I'd fire you :-)

Leopold
Let me out!

Leopold
Let me out!
PostTue Jan 10, 2012 8:38 am 
Cliff Mass boosts KPLU’s audience
Quote:
Cliff Mass is much happier at KPLU these days than he was on KUOW’s “Weekday.” He has, Mass said Monday, been given “stability and more time” at KPLU while he was “constantly being jerked around on KUOW.” He praises Seinfeld and the station’s “excellent reporting staff.”

altasnob

altasnob
PostThu Aug 06, 2020 7:44 pm 
And just like that, Cliff Mass gets booted off air by KNKX (formerly KPLU). UW Atmospheric Sciences Professor Cliff Mass ditches weather in his latest blog post to compare this summer in Seattle to Nazi Germany, invoking the Kristallnacht "Seattle has experienced a summer of fear, with criminal activities reminiscent of Nazi Germany during the 1930s. During that time, thugs broke the windows of Jewish businesses throughout Germany, painted offensive statements on walls, and threatened those that opposed them. Now Seattle has had its own Kristallnacht and the photos of what occurred during the past weeks are eerily similar to those of 80 years ago" KNKX's statement: At KNKX, we value high-quality, factual information in our news programming and we aim to present an array of voices that reflect our region. We turn to our regular commentators for their expertise and points-of-view when it comes to sports, food and the weather. But if a commentator, even on his own independent platform, delivers rhetoric that is offensive and inaccurate, we cannot support it. This is the case today with Cliff Mass. His post on his personal blog compares recent events in Seattle to Kristallnacht, the 1938 pogrom carried out by Nazi Germany and draws distorted, offensive parallels between protesters and Nazi Brownshirts. We abhor the comparison and find it sensationalized and misleading—it does not reflect who we are and what we stand for at KNKX. The segment Weather with Cliff Mass will no longer air on KNKX. Sincerely, Joey Cohn General Manager

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Aug 06, 2020 7:58 pm 
Sounds like someone keyed his beamer

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostThu Aug 06, 2020 8:22 pm 
He's not wrong about the current state of downtown Seattle, but comparing it to 1938 Germany is some serious hyperbole.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Aug 06, 2020 8:34 pm 
It is more than hyperbole, Kristallnacht was state sponsored Terrorism against a racial minority A precursor to genocide which killed six million innocent souls. Seattle’s summer was a protest which resulted in graffiti and vandalism.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Aug 06, 2020 8:37 pm 
Locking this as it inevitably OT politics.