Forum Index > Trip Reports > Goat Rocks Thru-Hike Aug 14-16 2009 (Now with video)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tag Man
side hiller

Tag Man
side hiller
PostThu Aug 20, 2009 11:59 am 
The Dream: I have wanted to thru-hike the Goat Rocks for a long time now and I finally got a chance to this year. Accompanying me on this trip were my friends Mike and Robbin from the Kitsap Climbers Group. We drove 2 cars so we could leave one at either end of the trail so we would not have to back track. The route we took is about 30 miles long, 25 of which are on the Pacific Crest Trail or PCT. The Pacific Crest Trail is roughly 2600 miles long, goes through 3 states and stretches between Mexico and Canada. The Goat Rocks Wilderness section of the PCT attains the highest elevation in Washington State and is also considered to be among the most beautiful sections in any of the 3 states. Only the Sierras in California rival its beauty. (in my opinion)
Goat Rocks Wilderness
Goat Rocks Wilderness
The Drive: Aug 13 2009 We left Silverdale at 7:30, Thursday evening. After fueling up with gas and making a couple of quick stops we were on our way to White Pass on Hwy 12 to drop off one of our rigs. Around 11:30 we made it to the pass and dropped off my car. The winter before, a landslide had closed one of the forest roads we needed to take to get to the other trailhead so we had to drive and extra 20 miles to get around it. Total mileage to the trailhead near Walupt Lake by this route was around 70 miles. It was really late when we finally made it and set up our tent. It was just starting to rain when we got in our sleeping bags. I was not looking forward to hiking in the rain.
Day 1
Day 1
Day 1: Aug 14 2009 We were up early on our first day, at least 9:30 am. But seriously we didn’t get to sleep the night before until around 1:30 am so a full night of sleep was really needed after the long day we had before. We had a big day in front of us. It was very foggy and cloudy but no rain, thankfully. Our day started off by talking to the camp host about where we needed to park the truck for the hike. She informed us that we needed a NW Forest Pass or park across the bridge ¼ mile away from the trail. We argued that the Parks Pass Mike had would be sufficient but the camp host said it would not work and that we would get fined, whatever. We decided not to take a chance and we parked Mike’s truck across the bridge and unloaded our gear. We were already going to hike 30 miles or so, so what’s an extra ¼ mile going to hurt? Snacking on the Salsa Sun Chips Mike brought for the start of the hike, we started to make our way to the Nannie Ridge trailhead and self registered for the hike. Once we were actually, finally hiking at around 10:30, I felt a sense of both excitement and sadness. I was finally on the trail, doing what I have wanted to do for so long but the limited views and potential for rain kind of bummed me out. The forecast was 40% chance of rain and mostly cloudy.
Hiking in the Mist
Hiking in the Mist
Slowly we made our way up the steep Nannie Ridge trail. After a few miles we came to an unmarked junction. Should we go uphill or continue straight on the trail which looked as if it were going downhill from that point? We decided to head uphill. We climbed to the top of the ridge and followed the trail to a cliff face and paralleled the cliff until the trail just seemed to disappear. After consulting our maps for about the third time we discovered that we were not as far along on the trail as we thought and that we had actually turned onto a trail that goes to the top of Nannie Peak. This would have not been so bad but remember, it was foggy and we had no views so it was kind of meaningless.
Nannie Peak View
Nannie Peak View
We headed back down Nannie Peak to the junction. Once back on the correct trail again, we made good time. We eventually came to a lake which I mistakenly thought was Sheep Lake. There were three ladies there on horseback and we chatted for a few minutes. They informed us that Sheep Lake was still up ahead on the trail. After letting their horses graze for a bit the ladies took off and said they would see us at Sheep Lake. After a short break we were once again on the trail and before too long we were indeed at Sheep Lake and the ladies we saw earlier were having lunch and they waved and said hi as we passed. Just after the lake we hit a junction and we left the Nannie Ridge trail and took a left turn on to the PCT.
Junction of Nannie Ridge and the PCT
Junction of Nannie Ridge and the PCT
We were heading up to Cispus Pass. Alpine splendor was all around us, we just couldn’t see it due to the clouds. What we could see, meadows full of lupine, Indian Paintbrush and other alpine wildflowers were very beautiful, but for an area known for its expansive views, the clouds were a let down.
Wildflowers
Wildflowers
Me
Me
Mike and Robbin
Mike and Robbin
It still hadn’t rained on us though so that was in our favor. Getting hungry we all decided to take a quick snack break and it was pretty cold with the wind blowing. We didn’t pause for too long before we once again started climbing towards Cispus Pass.
Rest Break
Rest Break
After another mile or so and about 500 feet in elevation gain we headed over the pass and into the Cispus drainage. We didn’t have any sun breaks but we did break free of the foggy conditions and we could actually see into the drainage for a ways.
Cispus Pass
Cispus Pass
Pasqueflowers at Cispus drainage
Pasqueflowers at Cispus drainage
We made our way down, winding around the drainage and finally stopped at a creek which is actually part of the Cispus River and filtered some water. Looking back up towards the pass we had just come through, we could see the ladies on horseback we saw earlier up near the top.
Horses
Horses
Continuing on, we made our way towards Snowgrass Flat. I was planning on hiking past Snowgrass and camp down below at the Alpine Camp but everyone was tired and hungry, myself included, so we made our way over to a little ridge which looked like it had a camp spot on it. Tired and cold, we whipped up some dinner and set up the tent.
Having Dinner
Having Dinner
My thermometer read 44 degrees and there was a light breeze. Being cold from my wet feet and socks, I decided to head to bed early around 8:00 pm after hanging our food from a nearby tree. Mike and Robbin stayed up for a while and watched some deer playing in the valley below. When I checked, my thermometer read 36 degrees at one point in the night. Day 2 Aug 15 2009 Opening my eyes, the world seemed bright but did not seem sunny. I was surprised though when I opened the tent door and saw Mount Adams in the distance with the sun shining on it. Mike and Robbin too were pleasantly surprised when seeing it that morning.
Mount Adams view from camp
Mount Adams view from camp
With the sun shining down we quickly made breakfast and whipped up a couple of day packs so we could head over to Goat Lake. Today was our easy day, at least that’s what we thought. After securing the tent so it would not blow away by throwing our packs inside it, we headed off down the trail.
camp
camp
When we got to the snowgrass flat trail junction we took it down for a mile or so and then took the Lily Basin trail at its junction. Hiking along in the alpine splendor, walking through fields of lupine, we took numerous photographs.
Field of Lupine
Field of Lupine
I had told Robbin before about the Pika I had seen the last time I was through here and sure enough I heard one starting to squeak as we walked past a talus field. I had told them before how the Pika sound like a dog’s squeaky toy when they talk to each other but I guess they didn’t quite understand what I meant until they actually heard one for the first time. They look to me like a mix between a chipmunk and a big mouse. We made a stop at a waterfall and one came right up to us for a photo op.
Pika
Pika
Leaving the waterfall and Pika behind, we continued on towards Goat Lake. Mount Adams loomed to the south above a sea of clouds that appeared to be retreating in the valley below. We reached the lake around 10:15 and stopped for a snack. We had the whole lake to ourselves for a bit.
Goat Lake
Goat Lake
Goats
Goats
Taking a break
Taking a break
After a few pictures and sitting in the sun for a while, people started showing up at the lake one by one. After a while, I counted 9 people, all guys, looking to be in their 20’s and were sitting near the shore. One of the guys had a little dog and the guy through a stick out on the ice of the lake and the dog went out there for it. Not too long after I heard one of the guys say “I have a King Sized Snickers for you if you go out there too” .Not more than 5 minutes later, the guy with the dog was out there on the lake himself, slowly walking around, probing the ice with a hiking pole. Great entertainment for sure, watching these guys.
Dude walking his dog on the ice
Dude walking his dog on the ice
While taking pictures, Mike let out a groan and told us his last camera battery had died. This really sucked because we still had over half of the hike in front of us. Around 10:45 we started heading back towards camp the way we had come in. Back at camp, we had a quick lunch and packed up and headed back out on the PCT towards Old Snowy. Robbin was gracious enough to let Mike use her camera but you could tell he was in a bad mood due to the battery incident. I couldn’t blame him. Up the trail we went.
Mike Robbin and Myself
Mike Robbin and Myself
Wildflowers
Wildflowers
We were getting close to the highest portion of trail on the PCT in Washington. Soon we past Split Rock and not long after that we walked by the remains of the Yelverton shelter.
Split Rock
Split Rock
Yelverton Shelter
Yelverton Shelter
Dana Yelverton died of hypothermia in 1962 when a freak August blizzard hit the area we were now hiking through. A group of people took a couple of summers and built a shelter in her remembrance using timbers that were helicoptered in and local stone. There is a rumor floating around the internet that the shelter may be rebuilt in the near future. Cruising past the shelter we crossed a snow field and came to the top of the ridge. Mount Rainier made its presence known and it looked huge and appeared to float on a sea of clouds looking much the same way Adams did behind us.
Atop a sea of clouds
Atop a sea of clouds
Rainier Island
Rainier Island
Looking down we could see the knife ridge we would have to cross in the near future and the clouds that were almost high enough to start spilling over it. This is said to be a very dangerous place in a storm as the wind can blow ferociously over the ridge, not to mention the fact that there is a very narrow path along its crest that literally was dynamited into place where there was no path before, with steep drop offs on either side. Needless to say I was a little concerned when I saw the clouds nearing the rim. The path we were on, the PCT crosses the Packwood Glacier at this point. The glacier is not very wide at the crossing point but where it crosses is very steep and has a significant run out below it. A slip here would be very bad indeed for the unlucky thru-hiker that forgot his or her ice-axe. None of us were carrying ice axes but knowing about a high route that goes almost to the top of Old Snowy and avoids the glacier altogether, we took the high route. Summiting Old Snowy was an option we were considering anyways, so up the high trail we went. Once we got to the top of the high trail we had to decide if we wanted to climb Old Snowy, or head down to the knife ridge. Looking down I could see that the clouds I was worried about had just started to spill over the crest. The decision was made right then that we needed to get down to the spine of the ridge as soon as we could and make our way across before conditions got too bad.
Clouds starting to spill over into Eastern Washington
Clouds starting to spill over into Eastern Washington
Slowly we picked our way down the high trail. At one point I stopped to pull out my hiking sticks. Parts of the boot path were very steep and there was lots of loose slippery rock. I offered one of my sticks to Mike who reluctantly took it but he did seem to benefit from it from time to time. Before too long we intersected with the main crest trail again and we headed across the knife ridge as the clouds were spilling over it. The hiking was fast now as we tried to get across the spine before the wind picked up too much. In a few spots, going behind a rock or some krummholz the wind died down, only to pick up as we exposed our selves again to the open.
Knife edge ridge of the PCT
Knife edge ridge of the PCT
PCT near Elk Pass
PCT near Elk Pass
PCT near Elk Pass
PCT near Elk Pass
The only benefit we had from crossing in the cloudy weather was that we were spared the vertigo inducing position of seeing the exposure on either side of us. Before too long we made it to Elk Pass. At the PCT trail sign, some wise guys decided to drag a couple of goat or deer carcasses up and position them on the sign in such a way as to suggest a rough trail ahead, an omen of sorts. Luckily for us, we had just crossed that section.
Bad Omen?
Bad Omen?
As we continued on, the trail suddenly starts going east and we drop down into the Eastern Washington side of the crest. All of a sudden we are back in sunshine again, as if the whole ordeal on the spine was just a distant memory. We dropped down into Upper McCall Basin and continued our hike through more lupine and down past snowfields and streams and soon we were looking for the McCall Basin camp.
Below Elk Pass
Below Elk Pass
Below Elk Pass
Below Elk Pass
Below Elk Pass
Below Elk Pass
Looking Back Towards Curtis Gilbert
Looking Back Towards Curtis Gilbert
Earlier in the week when researching where to stay each night, I heard about McCall Basin and knew it was supposed to be about 5 miles from Snowgrass Flat. Unfortunately, what I read and what I remembered were two different things. What I actually read was that Upper McCall Basin was a great place to camp and was 5 miles away but we were hiking to lower McCall Basin which was more like 8 miles away, not Upper McCall. We were all tired and kept on Hiking but the McCall trail just wasn’t materializing where I thought it should. After consulting the map again, we realized where the camp was and set off once again. We finally made it to McCall Basin camp around 7:00 and Mike laid down right after setting up the tent and crashed for about 45 minutes. Apparently he was not feeling good and probably ran out of gas on the longer than expected hike. After his nap, Robbin finally coaxed him to eat something and got him to come out of the tent. Robbin heated water while I filtered water from our camp side creek. We hung our food from a nearby tree, and then I left in search of some sunset pictures I could take.
Sunset
Sunset
Tree Butt
Tree Butt
Cool Mushrooms
Cool Mushrooms
Not finding much in the way of photo ops I came back to camp and hit the sack around 8:45. I set my alarm for 5:00 am so we could get an early start on our last day. Day 3 Aug 16 2009 The alarm went off at 5:00 and I quickly shut it off. I declared “its 5:00 am if anyone cares” and promptly went back to sleep. About 10 after 6:00 Mike wakes me up and we all get up for breakfast. By around 7:30 we are all packed and ready to hit the trail.
Breaking Camp at McCall Basin
Breaking Camp at McCall Basin
As we were walking out of camp, I was tip-toeing through a wet marshy area taking care not to get my shoes too wet, when I turn around and see Mike and Robbin poking fun and pulling their pant legs up as they walked through the marsh as if they had anything to worry about in their gore-tex climbing boots. Hardy har har, what comedians they are. We’ll see who’s more tired by the end of the day. Me in my trail runners or them in their boots.
We don't need no stinking gaiters
We don't need no stinking gaiters
We get out on the trail and feeling really good despite a lack of sleep on my part, we really start making great time on the trail. According to Mikes trip computer on his GPS, our average speed for the trip actually starts going up. A few miles into the hike we come to Tieton Pass where we meet a couple of ladies who started their hike on the Columbia River at Cascade Locks a hundred something miles away. Mary Ann said she is a section hiker and has been knocking off chunks of the trail every year for the last 7 or 8 years. Washington is the last PCT section she has left and she will complete her thru-hike next year. Her hike this year will take her as far as Stevens Pass. Kris started her hike at Cascade Locks as well but this is her first big chunk of the PCT. She asks us if we know of any bus service than runs from White Pass and we tell her we are unsure. She tells how she started in a brand new pair of boots but switched over to trail-runners due to blisters. She is planning on getting off the trail at White Pass and ending her hike instead of continuing on to Stevens Pass as she had planned. Mary Ann and Kris met on the trail and were now hiking together. After we all chatted for a while we all set off down the trail again. I said to Mike we should let them pass us now or they would be on our tail the whole time but we didn’t and they weren’t which surprised me as seasoned as they were. After a mile or so Mike stops me and asks if I think we should give Kris a ride down to Packwood or Randle and more importantly since it was my car if I minded. That’s one of the things I like about Mike, he is always looking out for people. I said I didn’t mind if we gave her a ride but my son’s car seat was in the car and we would have to figure out where to fit everyone and our gear. We wait on the trail for a few minutes for the ladies to catch up. Mike asks Kris if she would like a ride and before you know it, this lady we just met on the trail who had never hiked long distance before had yogi-ed a car ride, a call on a cell phone, and a stop at the Kracker- Barrel store at the pass so she could pick up her bounce box. Kris, if you are reading this, that was absolutely brilliant! You totally have my respect. So now we have Kris in tow. She says her good-byes to Mary Ann and we are off down the trail. We are going at a pretty good clip because the trail is so flat in this area but soon we start to climb again. We are at nearly 5000 feet and have to climb up to 6600 feet as we climb up to the Hogback ridge. Soon about half way up we take a break and wait for Kris. A few minutes pass and she catches up.
Treebeard
Treebeard
She exclaims that she is amazed at how fast we are hiking and if she didn’t know better she would have thought us to be thru-hikers. Mike and Robbin are pretty humble and don’t say anything but when they get up to leave I tell Kris that they just climbed Rainier and almost summited Adams 3 times within the last couple of months so they are in pretty good shape. I didn’t tell her though that I was able to keep up because my pack was about 10 lbs lighter than theirs. Still I felt pretty good that I was able to keep up with them as well as I was. In fact I wanted to keep hiking the day before, when Mike bonked. I attribute this to Mike and Robbin carrying more than was absolutely essential in their packs and my oz counting and cutting in assembling my gear. But back to Kris, I told her of their summit achievements and she was impressed. We continued on up the trail. Soon we came up to a ridge and as we reached the top, we looked out and Mount Rainier made its presence know again for the first time since the day before up near Old Snowy. This was a pleasant surprise. I was not expecting any more views like this for the rest of the trip. Looking back, we could see Old Snowy and Gilbert and Ives along with the rest of the Goat Rocks. What a beautiful place. The views were almost as good as from Old Snowy itself.
Rainier
Rainier
Looking back at the Goat Rocks from the Hogback Ridge
Looking back at the Goat Rocks from the Hogback Ridge
We hiked on following around the contour of the Hogback Mountain until we crossed over a little saddle and Shoe Lake lay stretched out down below us. The views just got better and better.
Shoe Lake
Shoe Lake
Again we hiked on following the contour of the mountain, this time from the other side. We started climbing a little bit right before we reached another saddle where there were a couple of back country horsemen resting their horses.
Horsemen
Horsemen
After chatting for a few minutes with the Horsemen, Kris and I took off after Mike and Robbin who had left a few minutes earlier but whom we could see skirting around the long lazy trail down the Hogback.
Lazy PCT on the Hogback
Lazy PCT on the Hogback
Kris using her skills again, yogi-ed my hiking poles from me that were secured to my pack. I think the knife ridge and Packwood glacier were still fresh in her memory from the day before and she did not want a repeat. She had told us earlier that instead of taking the high route on Old Snowy, she actually crossed over the Packwood glacier and she slipped a few feet. I guess it was a terrifying experience for her as a slide there could lead to a very serious injury or death. I wasn’t using the poles and letting her use them actually took a little weight off my back, a win-win. We ambled down the Hogback soon meeting up with Mike and Robbin who decided to take a break.
PCT on the Hogback Ridge
PCT on the Hogback Ridge
Break Time
Break Time
Break Time
Break Time
Miriam Lake
Miriam Lake
I told Mike that I thought Kris was really hurting as she was not so much limping but you could tell she was favoring one foot as she walked. Mike told her to take off her shoes and he took a look at her blisters. She had done a pretty good job of patching things up with moleskin but you could see she was getting a couple more blisters on one foot. After a quick snack and letting Kris put her shoes back on, we set off for the last portion of the trail. We were at around 6000 feet and need to get to about 4400 feet at the pass. As fun as the hike was, I was excited to get back to the car and get home. We tore up the trail and when we hit the first of the switchbacks, Mike and I stopped to wait one last time for Robbin and Kris. A round of gummi bears went around before we set off down the trail again, this time Mike staying back with the girls. About 45 minutes later and I find myself crossing the little bridge over the creek at the parking lot where I left my car 3 days earlier. I get my car clothes out and wash up in the creek while I wait for the others. When they arrive I go into the woods and change clothes while fighting mosquitoes the whole time, the only ones I saw during the whole trip. Soon we are all changed and we figure out how to load the car with all our gear. Then we are off to the Kracker-Barrel store for Kris’s Bounce-box. At the store Kris buys us all a drink for our troubles and we have some more snacks for the road. In the car again we drive the 70 miles back to the other trailhead to Mike’s truck and tell stories of our adventures the whole way there. Once we get to the truck, we unload and re-load our gear into the respective vehicles, say our thank-yous and goodbyes, and hit the last stretch of road home.
Clean Clothes!
Clean Clothes!
Elevation Profile
Elevation Profile
Map
Map

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
jeremybe
Ol' One-shirt

jeremybe
Ol' One-shirt
PostThu Aug 20, 2009 12:18 pm 
Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostThu Aug 20, 2009 12:35 pm 
Nice trip, nice report!
Tag Man wrote:
There is a rumor floating around the internet that the shelter may be rebuilt in the near future.
That would surprise me. A ranger there told me they are actually promoting destruction of the shelter (knocking bits of it down now and then) and that it causes rescue calls. People would go up there without adequate camping gear, relying on the shelter, and find it full.

Canuck

Canuck
PostThu Aug 20, 2009 12:47 pm 
Spectacular. up.gif I remember your trip report from your first trip to that area -- was it last year? Or the year before? It prompted me to get there myself. It was a magical as you had talked about and I can't wait to go again. I want the views from that ridge run though, by Old Snowy. Doing it in fog would freak me out more than a clear day. I'm surprise at no bugs around Snowgrass, with your flower photos. Nice!

Tag Man
side hiller

Tag Man
side hiller
PostThu Aug 20, 2009 12:51 pm 
Conrad, I read that rumor here. I don't think its much more than a rumor though.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostThu Aug 20, 2009 12:53 pm 
Epic! up.gif

Tag Man
side hiller

Tag Man
side hiller
PostThu Aug 20, 2009 12:54 pm 
Canuck wrote:
I want the views from that ridge run though, by Old Snowy.
Yep me too. Oh well, I guess I'll have to hike it again next year!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Aug 20, 2009 7:53 pm 
Nice report and pics, and very timely, as I'm going to that same area this weekend. I notice you didn't mention bugs, so am I correct in taking that as a good sign? I wonder if the cool temps you had played a part in that.

Tag Man
side hiller

Tag Man
side hiller
PostThu Aug 20, 2009 8:57 pm 
That's correct Slugman. No bugs except for some lethargic ones at McCall due to the cold. They weren't biting. When we got to White Pass the skeeters were pretty bad though. Funny you should say timely because I just read your High Divide trip report. I'm scheduled to go there this weekend. I might not go though if it is going to be cloudy with no views. Have a good trip.

BigPants
Offtrail Wisher

BigPants
Offtrail Wisher
PostThu Aug 20, 2009 9:02 pm 
Your camp at Snowgrass Flats looks familar. Did you have a stream that burbled right out of the ground just below and south of the camp? That was the best, freshest water I've ever tasted in the backcountry.

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostThu Aug 20, 2009 9:17 pm 
Re: Goat Rocks Wilderness Thru-Hike Aug 14-16 2009
Tag Man wrote:
PCT near Elk Pass
PCT near Elk Pass
Excellent TR, Tagman. The above photo is phenomenal and really follows your story. Enjoyed it very much. up.gif Glad the weather cleared for you and you were able to enjoy some fantastic views. I've not hiked on any part of the PCT, but your report makes me want to go for a visit and check it out. Thanks!

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Aug 20, 2009 9:44 pm 
Imagine meeting horse packers coming the other way on the knife-edged ridge! And to top it off, the horses have the right of way over people. If you were most of the way across, and horses started out from the other side, you would have to turn around and walk all the way back, and start over. Insane, I know, but them's the rules.

Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostThu Aug 20, 2009 9:56 pm 
I'm guessing no horse has gone past Old Snowy in a long time. It doesn't look horse-possible to me.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Aug 20, 2009 10:16 pm 
Hmm, when I was there I saw no impediment to horses. But that was a few years ago, and I wasn't thinking about horses at the time. I do know that the general area (Goat Rocks) is a big horse-riding area. Maybe it has something to do with the time of year, because I also did not have to walk across any part of the Packwood glacier, nor traverse high onto Old Snowy. Here's a pic from August of 2003:

Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostFri Aug 21, 2009 7:32 am 
Slugman wrote:
I also did not have to walk across any part of the Packwood glacier
Oh OK, if all the snowfields near the glacier were really melted then I guess horses could cross there.