Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mac Peak: Where The Wild Things Are (Apparently)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostMon Aug 24, 2009 4:52 pm 
Sunday, August 23, 2009: After having competed in Dragon Boat races all day on Saturday, I wanted to get out for a new hike on Sunday. I have been wanting to summit Mac Peak since last Fall, when I first summited nearby peaks Surprise Mountain and Spark Plug Mountain, in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness. I normally would not want to go on a hike off of Highway 2 on a Sunday, due to large bottlenecks of traffic typical for that day of the week, but otherwise the weather and conditions were very desirable for a local hike in the region near Skykomish. I did not personally know anybody who had summited Mac Peak previously. I knew the mountain was seldom summited, although I have a couple of mountaineering books that briefly and vaguely described possible route options. I knew I would need to rely on my own knowledge of the area, my map, my GPS, and my common sense to reach the summit. From my research, I determined the best possible route might be to ascend the west slopes of Mac Peak directly off-trail from the intersection of the Deception Lakes Trail #1059.2 and PCT. I started at the Fisher Creek Trailhead (a.k.a. Deception Creek Cut-Off Trail), located on the east side of Tonga Ridge. I hiked four miles to the desired intersection (~4900' elevation) mentioned above, before heading off-trail. After a short distance, I reached a boulder gully. Rather than scramble and boulder-hop up the gully, I opted to steeply climb the ridge on its south side. It did not matter much, as both ended up at the same location, but I think the route I chose was less technical. I then ended up at a small meadow area (~5250' elevation), apparently the location of a seasonal tarn which was currently dried-up. Steep rock walls were in front of me, seemingly circling around the slopes (as my map also seemed to conclude), except for a small gully on the northeast side of the meadow/tarn area. I ascended the steep, narrow gully. Once at the top of the gully, ~5350' elevation, I located an old path. It almost certainly is an animal route now, but originally could have even been an old fisherman's route. The path was overgrown, and disappeared, in various places, but it established a fairly good route to follow... seemingly the least technical approach during this stretch. At approximately 5700' elevation, I entered a large meadow area. Once again, steep rockfaces were ahead of me, but I opted to follow a curved avalanche gully on the southeast side of the meadow area. At approximately 5900' elevation up the gully, I opted to steeply ascend the north side of the gully, as it was the closest to an open area above, rather than follow the gully all the way up its path. At ~6100' elevation, I entered another meadow area, with a gorgeous small alpine lake located on its north end at approximately 6000' elevation.
Mac Peak, as seen from Fisher Creek Trail
Mac Peak, as seen from Fisher Creek Trail
Old "path" found at ~5350' elevation...
Old "path" found at ~5350' elevation...
Mac Peak, as seen from its west slopes
Mac Peak, as seen from its west slopes
Large meadow (with avalanche gully)
Large meadow (with avalanche gully)
Steep rockfaces on WNW side
Steep rockfaces on WNW side
Small upper alpine lake on west side...
Small upper alpine lake on west side...
This is when I began hitting the jackpot in terms of wildlife viewing. Small Cascades frogs were hopping in the meadow, and I briefly saw a mink near the lake before it ran away. I then had the option to reach the summit via a northwest ridge or a southwest ridge; I opted to ascend along the southwest ridge because it appeared to have less treecover/ bushwhacking and less boulder fields to traverse. Shortly after I reached the ridgetop, I heard loud whistles coming from the direction I was heading towards. It was a hoary marmot, peeking out from behind a large boulder, which did not wait long to disappear as I approached its general vicinity. Soon after that, I started hiking past a pinnacle-shaped rocky point on the ridgetop when suddenly something leaped in front of me. It was a black-tailed deer (buck), and I think it was resting next to the pinnacle-shaped rock but did not hear me approaching, and got startled by my presence. Luckily, as he ran (hopped) down the slopes he turned around long enough for me to get a photo of him. Then, just a short distance later along the ridgeline, I saw a short-tailed weasel crawling along a talus slope. Some mountain chickadees were sitting on a nearby boulder. Then, as I approached the summit, I could briefly see a pine marten crawling there. The northern sub-summit had two mountain goats on it, which seemed to almost effortlessly descend a steep NE rockface out of my sight.
Buck looking back at me
Buck looking back at me
Ascending to summit...
Ascending to summit...
Summit (with register)
Summit (with register)
The summit (6859' elevation) was nice. I even spent some time reaching the northern sub-summit, just in case it was actually higher (that is debatable). The southern sub-summit has a summit register, which contained some names familiar to me. They include: -> Tom Davenport (9/25/03) -> Mike Collins and Fay Pullen (who placed the current register there on 9/5/05) ->"Naturealbeing" (8/27/06) -> Andy Boos (10/5/06) -> Martin Shetter (7/11/09) *** What??? No Schmidt Altitude??? *** The views from the summit were fantastic. It was nice to be at such a great vantage point within the Alpine Lakes Wilderness. Mount Daniel, Mount Stuart, Terrace Mountain, Thunder Mountain, Thor Peak, Tonga Ridge, and Surprise Mountain were all very visible from the summit area. It was also very peaceful there. After exploring several possible alternate ascent/descent routes, I ultimately opted to descend the same way I ascended the peak. Shortly after I began my descent, I watched a golden-mantled ground squirrel scurrying along a talus slope a short distance below me. Later, as I hiked along Deception Creek Trail #1059, I saw a pileated woodpecker. Then, as I drove away from the Fisher Creek Trailhead, I saw three spruce grouse. I have never been on a single-day hiking trek and seen so many animals as I did on thie trip. Unfortunately, most of the animals were quite elusive and quickly disappeared after being spotted by me (or vice versa). I suspect the large amount of animals is a testament to several factors, including multiple lakes and tarns on/around the mountain, varied terrain on the mountain, and the lack of constant human interference to the area. Overall, I highly recommend summiting Mac Peak.
Thunder & Thor, Square and Wolverine...
Thunder & Thor, Square and Wolverine...
Mount Daniel, as seen from SW ridge of Mac Peak
Mount Daniel, as seen from SW ridge of Mac Peak
View of Terrace Mountain and Lake Clarice
View of Terrace Mountain and Lake Clarice
After the climb, I celebrated the successful summit by going to Monroe and having my concoction of "Mac and Jacks"... looking over my Mac Peak photos while eating Jack In The Box food. And, yes, I only did that to add that corny joke to this story. (SIDE-NOTE: Speaking of animals, I even found a pile of bear scat on the western slopes of Mac Peak... or was it Sasquatch scat? lol uhoh.gif )

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostMon Aug 24, 2009 5:06 pm 
Big Mac
Fabulous! We looked at the peak as we were heading to Deception Lakes a few weeks back. It looked "doable" - thanks for the great description. up.gif s.d.

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostMon Aug 24, 2009 5:41 pm 
Thanks for the beta. This one has been on our obscure peak list since last summer. smile.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostMon Aug 24, 2009 5:44 pm 
For more beta regarding my trip/route, visit the page I just created on SummitPost: http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/544268/mac-peak.html It is definitely an obscure peak worth visiting, in my opinion. It is certainly hike-worthy, but is not a peak where it is as straightforward as the old adage "keep going up".

Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostMon Aug 24, 2009 7:51 pm 
Redwic wrote:
After the climb, I celebrated the successful summit by going to Monroe and having my concoction of "Mac and Jacks"... looking over my Mac Peak photos while eating Jack In The Box food. And, yes, I only did that to add that corny joke to this story.
Great report and I appreciate that you took a gastrointestinal hit to liven up your ending embarassedlaugh.gif

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostMon Aug 24, 2009 7:52 pm 
Nice write up RW. up.gif Way to get up it with not too much info.

Type E

Type E
PostMon Aug 24, 2009 8:34 pm 
I had hoped to use the same route as you did and camp at the small tarn in order to include Swallow's Tail along with Mac Peak. But my pesky work scheduled got in the way again. Glad you had such a wild trip. E

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Aug 24, 2009 9:01 pm 
Fun peak. Last time I was up there the only wild things I saw were some pretty hot chicks skinny dipping Deception Lakes. biggrin.gif

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostMon Aug 24, 2009 9:02 pm 
Thanks for useful TR. Way to get after it. up.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostMon Aug 24, 2009 9:25 pm 
Great reading of your adventure, Redwic! Fine photos! The vantage point for the summit is perfect for viewing many Alpine Lakes peaks and features. Bet the location improves with autumn days though day lengths might intrude on planning the trip. I am in awe of your report and knowledge of wildlife....I have seen many wild critters over the years and have often failed to know exactly what I saw (marten or mink, fisher or what?). Can't wait to read your next adventure!

naturealbeing

naturealbeing
PostMon Aug 24, 2009 9:28 pm 
Thanks for taking the time to share your TR & pics, nicely done! Defiantly a fun peak to travel to and experience. Lots of lakes and peaks to witness during that one. BTW, Mac Peak is the highest peak in the Stevens Pass Quad, elevation 6,859' with 819' of prominence. Here's a pano I took from the N sub peak, less trees at the peak was my reasoning for taking a pano from that location.

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostMon Aug 24, 2009 9:38 pm 
Sabahsboy wrote:
Great reading of your adventure, Redwic! Fine photos! The vantage point for the summit is perfect for viewing many Alpine Lakes peaks and features. Bet the location improves with autumn days though day lengths might intrude on planning the trip. I am in awe of your report and knowledge of wildlife....I have seen many wild critters over the years and have often failed to know exactly what I saw (marten or mink, fisher or what?). Can't wait to read your next adventure!
In honesty, I had to look up several of the animals. I had never seen a marmot with a silver-colored back and a silver & black head, not realizing it was a hoary marmot. It seemed to be whistling at me as I approached it, too, which took me off-guard. I had never seen a short-tailed weasel before, and I had to look it up after I got back home. When I saw the golden-mantled ground squirrel, which I also had never seen before, it took me off-guard because it looked like a very large chipmunk but without the facial stripes. I immediately recognized the pine marten, which was similar in appearance to a fisher but with a noticeable orange-colored throat/tuff (and not quite as dark, overall). I also recognized the mink, which I had previously seen. I had also previously seen deer, mountain goats, pileated woodpeckers, and mountain chickadees.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostMon Aug 24, 2009 9:46 pm 
Thanks for sharing the gorgeous pano Richard. This peak should be overrun with nwhinkers by next summer. up.gif Anyone know anything about the obvious trail up high?

Stefan-K

Stefan-K
PostMon Aug 24, 2009 10:55 pm 
hooray for the celebration of small peaks! or maybe not... "This peak should be overrun with nwhinkers by next summer." not sure how that impacts wildlife... here's an (what we initially called pine martin) american martin from the ridge right above Snow Lake, right next to the trail.
Snow Lake 07 - young martin
Snow Lake 07 - young martin
There were two young ones, very cute - the pic is actually a still from a video. They kinda sound like a Chipmunk version of Tom Waits... I always wondered how they fared given the intense (+ canine) traffic.

Type E

Type E
PostMon Aug 24, 2009 11:17 pm 
The "trail" I came across as well and followed it down to Deception Lakes. E