Forum Index > Trip Reports > Lost Creek Ridge: The Quest for a Byrne Lake Sunset
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
David¹
Token Canadian

David¹
Token Canadian
PostMon Aug 24, 2009 7:56 pm 
For me taking a good photo is more of a happy accident, however serious photographers know the secret is all in the preparation. I had this photo composition in mind:
Galiwalker wrote:
Glacier Peak (10,528ft) and Lake Byrne (5,544ft). Lost Creek Ridge hike, Glacier Peak Wilderness; Aug 11th, 2007.
Glacier Peak (10,528ft) and Lake Byrne (5,544ft). Lost Creek Ridge hike, Glacier Peak Wilderness; Aug 11th, 2007.
Only I wanted to do one better and capture it at sunset. Usually I'm not willing to make the effort but I had no choice since Karen was adamant about never going back to Lake Byrne (she had an unfortunate experience in 2000) The trail gains something like 3600ft in the first 4.5 miles but it is well graded and was painless thanks to some great company from Kayakbear and a couple of fun dudes we met along the way (their report)
Blueberry Fields Forever
Blueberry Fields Forever
Thus when we were feasting on the ample blueberry crop just past the Round Lake junction we thought the best was yet to come.
First Sighting of Glacier Peak
First Sighting of Glacier Peak
However the trail had other ideas. We soon lost our views of Glacier Peak as the trail plunged into an endless series of forested gullies and gradually deteriorated down to a thin treacherous scar. What should have taken us only a couple hours stretched into a four hour ordeal. Finally far below we saw a tarn that we took for Hardtack Lake. It wasn't possible to camp there so despite exhaustion we slogged onward to the next lake.
Jonathan Pryce wrote:
We set up camp however since it was nearly 7pm I had to skip dinner in order to reach Bryne Lake for sunset.
Camp Lake
Camp Lake
It was only supposed to be .7 miles from Camp Lake to Byrne Lake. Imagine my delight when after 40 minutes of additional hiking I came upon the REAL Camp Lake. It was 7:40, the magic hour was already upon me and I STILL had .7 miles to go!
Alpenglow on Glacier Peak
Alpenglow on Glacier Peak
There was already alpenglow on mountain when I reached Little Siberia. In full panic mode now I left the trail and doing a dangerous series of veggie belays & controlled falling I desperately tried to find a spot where I could see the lake below the mountain.
Byrne Lake Sunset
Byrne Lake Sunset
After a few quick shots I did more semi-controlled falling until I reached the lakeshore. Finally well after sunset I found Galiwalkers composition.
Byrne Lake
Byrne Lake
I stumbled around in the dark for nearly two hours before I made it back to camp. I was so exhausted I couldn't even eat, I seriously thought I was going to vomit. Galiwalker on the otherhand did the entire hike, including a side trip to Sunup Lake as a dayhike! He also came back with better photos borank.gif

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostMon Aug 24, 2009 8:08 pm 
I have yet to experience the full lenght, but the ups and downs of Lost Creek Ridge have humbled more than one party. Sorry you didn't get what you wanted. Galiwalker is indeed a formidable hiker. up.gif ETA: Byrne Lake was usually accessed from Kennedy Hot Springs via 2200' of steepness, after an easy 5 mile walk to the springs. My guess is the lake may be starting to recover since the blowout in 2003 put a damper on this approach.

Highwalker's Daughter

Highwalker's Daughter
PostMon Aug 24, 2009 8:17 pm 
A timely TR for us as we were planning this one for Labor Day weekend. It doesn't sound like many campsites between the trailhead and Camp Lake, and we can't start until about 6 p.m. due to my work schedule so it sounds like we'd better car camp the first night; then plan on all day to reach the destination as we're probably way slower than you are! Also, "thin, treacherous scar" sounds kind of bad. Is it safe enough for a dumb dog? Thanks, Kari

touron

touron
PostMon Aug 24, 2009 8:33 pm 
Quote:
It was only supposed to be .7 miles from Camp Lake to Byrne Lake. Imagine my delight when after 40 minutes of additional hiking I came upon the REAL Camp Lake.
lol.gif doh.gif Great pictures and an A+ for effort! up.gif up.gif up.gif I went in from the hotsprings side back when the trail still existed. It sounds like it was much easier, plus there are no additional lakes to add to the confusion.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
David¹
Token Canadian

David¹
Token Canadian
PostMon Aug 24, 2009 8:45 pm 
Highwalker's Daughter wrote:
It doesn't sound like many campsites between the trailhead and Camp Lake, and we can't start until about 6 p.m. due to my work schedule so it sounds like we'd better car camp the first night; then plan on all day to reach the destination as we're probably way slower than you are! Also, "thin, treacherous scar" sounds kind of bad. Is it safe enough for a dumb dog? Thanks, Kari
There are lots of places to camp - the issue was water. There are a couple of trickles but no reliable water source until Hardtack Lake (unless you count the Round Lake Spur) FWIW the 8.5 mile return hike took only 5hrs Your dog should be fine, the problem was tired clumsy human feet

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostMon Aug 24, 2009 9:37 pm 
Those look like some pretty good pics to me up.gif

Eric Eames
chiwakum
not credible

chiwakum
not credible
PostMon Aug 24, 2009 9:47 pm 
there is reliable water coming down into the meadows below sunup lake. you should be able to refill at that point. there are also some decent camping options at that point (and sunup is nice for swimming if you don't mind the resident biting waterbugs). from there the next reliable water might be as far as hardtack.

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostTue Aug 25, 2009 4:23 am 
smile.gif I still remember the last few miles on the return and the interminable ups-and-downs...
David¹ wrote:
Byrne Lake
Byrne Lake
You might have missed sunset, but this one is really nice. Much better than mine. Now you've got me hankering for a return near sunrise/sunset!

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostTue Aug 25, 2009 6:16 am 
You still got a few beautiful photos there. That trail is a real bum-kicker, the ups and downs are endless. Why couldn't you camp at Hardtack lake? Kim and I did, it was fine. Was it too far from Byrne so that it would be hard to get back to camp after sunset?

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostTue Aug 25, 2009 6:26 am 
Quote:
Only I wanted to do one better and capture it at sunset. Usually I'm not willing to make the effort but I had no choice since Karen was adamant about never going back to Lake Byrne (she had an unfortunate experience in 2000)
Ha! I just read her "unfortunate incident." Does she never want to go back so as not to dilute the memory of the place? That is a great engagement spot, probably better than Surprise Mountain (mine, last year). Now it's an even better one because you're much less likely to have other people show up and crash your moment.

Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostTue Aug 25, 2009 6:27 am 
Great story that many of us photo-addicts can relate to. I have often found myself running to get in position for a sunrise/set that I thought I had time to hike to, sometimes I enjoy the intense workout, but not always (esp. at altitude). As I mellow (a bit) with age I try to remember the words of Teddy Roosevelt: "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." This great adage applies to many aspects of life, in photography it helps me to chill out if I don't make my planned destination on time and look where I am, which sometimes turns out to be serendipitous. I think you did great with those shots, although I feel for you being rushed and not having the time to set up and enjoy the full range of the sunset.

Highwalker's Daughter

Highwalker's Daughter
PostTue Aug 25, 2009 7:59 am 
Thanks for the info on campsites and water.

plain old dan

plain old dan
PostTue Aug 25, 2009 8:17 am 
That hike kicked my butt to. It's not really the ups and downs on a long ridge walk, it's all that after a strenuous start to the hike with lots of elevation gain just to get up onto the ridge. It's easy to underestimate this one, especially on a hot day.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Aug 25, 2009 9:15 am 
Plain Old Dan – because of your great trip report on Lost Creek Ridge, Jonathan Toren and I, were prepared for the ass-kicking that it was. It’s easy to underestimate this trip if you’re counting contour lines and calculating elevation gain/loss that way. What we found out once up on the ridge was that the contours of 100 feet on the map (or 90, can’t remember which) don’t show the +70, -80, +50 changes all embedded within one contour. So you can add 100 for the contour on the map, but there’s a whole lot in between! Lost Creek Ridge is among the best hiking trips I have ever had. David, Jonathan and I camped at Hardtack Lake. But you did better by continuing on; Jonathan and I had the time to split the trip up a little.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
David¹
Token Canadian

David¹
Token Canadian
PostTue Aug 25, 2009 9:23 am 
Quote:
Finally far below we saw a tarn that we took for Hardtack Lake.
Quote:
Imagine my delight when after 40 minutes of additional hiking I came upon the REAL Camp Lake
I thought this was obvious but we actually camped at Hardtack. We just didn't know it at the time.