Forum Index > Trip Reports > Heat Exhaustion on Luahna, August 20 (and 21), 2009
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
bertman

bertman
PostTue Aug 25, 2009 4:14 pm 
Hey! I think I see a portrait of Jesus in your left leg. No, not really, but I'm sure someone can see something in those random patterns. OMG! That looks painful! Glad you made it out. Bertman

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Roald

Roald
PostTue Aug 25, 2009 5:31 pm 
harrymalamute wrote:
ditto.gif what bird dog said, and sorry for laughing in a few places ...
Harry, sorry for laughing?? If you get a chuckle out of this, that makes my day - no, week! Since I can't take photos like, say, Karen2, or be inspiring like Iron, I'm hoping for some sort of story-telling value. hmmm.gif That, and any kind of reaction from Dicey. In that spirit, I really appreciate the comments here. I'm looking for Jesus in my leg right now.

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostTue Aug 25, 2009 6:03 pm 
Roald, I think you had that heat stroke where you washed out all your electrolytes. Bad juju. I think Beyond Lost has some pills he uses for marathons. There's a special name for this condition which is impossible to remember...especially by me cause I get the same damn thing and it sucks huge. tom

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Aug 25, 2009 6:04 pm 
Great storytelling. And yet another report convincing me that I'm unlikely to bother ever trying to see the supposedly stunningly beautiful Thunder Creek Basin up close and personal. Glad you got out OK. How'd your wife do with your non-arrival?

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostTue Aug 25, 2009 9:48 pm 
Yeah, how was honey when you finally got a hold of her? Great storytelling Roald. up.gif I'm sorry it had to be you though.

Roald

Roald
PostTue Aug 25, 2009 10:18 pm 
joker wrote:
... How'd your wife do with your non-arrival?
I noticed the life insurance policy and some travel brochures out on the table when I got home. No, really, my main concern in spending an unplanned night out there was that C. would spend the night worrying. And she did. She did not sleep well, but was ok. We both took a nap the next day. One of the risks in heading out alone is the extra worry that you put your loved ones through. P.S. My wife always has liked Magellan, even without meeting him. Now, after he asks about her well-being, she adores him. I'm getting concerned. fencing.gif

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostTue Aug 25, 2009 10:21 pm 
embarassedlaugh.gif

hikermike

hikermike
PostTue Aug 25, 2009 10:44 pm 
Thanks for the story...I've always wondered about that route since seeing it in Crowder/tabor and reading L. Marshall's attempt many years ago.. And also a new record...2 pages and still the No Betters haven't chipped in!

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Aug 25, 2009 10:54 pm 
Sounds like your wife is a keeper!

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed Aug 26, 2009 2:48 am 
And to think I had a chance of joining you on this hike eek.gif I guess there's no question about your persistence now. Sometimes I think that's the single most important trait a good hiker needs. Put the head down and make the miles / elevation go by. But the alder would have had me at "Hello"

Ancient Ambler

Ancient Ambler
PostWed Aug 26, 2009 7:07 am 
Great TR and pix, and a very instructive tale. Glad it worked out OK. Had a cramping, nauseous, unable-to-even-eat experience much like yours earlier this year packing a heavy load in bad heat. Had had more and more cramping problems over the past few years, but this even got my attention. Really motivated me to look into the electrolyte situation, as I was drinking a lot of supposed electrolyte-fluids and still got the cramping. In a thread on the max amount of water everyone had consumed in one day, seawallrunner had a cautionary post about hyponatremia, but she also mentioned an electrolyte pill developed for long-distance runners called Succeed S!caps. I've been using those ever since and the cramping problem has gone away, despite much more difficult ascents than the one that brought on my cramping/nausea/inability-to-eat problems earlier this year. Like swr, I have no financial interest in the product, and there are probably other ones out there just as effective, but I'm now carrying heavy-duty electrolyte replacements on every trip. Anyway, thanks for sharing your instructive travails with us.

Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostWed Aug 26, 2009 7:40 am 
Great TR! up.gif up.gif up.gif I've been there - done that (metaphorically, not Thunder Creek) many times. Have I ever learned? Temporarily, but then I see someplace I just have to go and my fading memory lets me think "it won't be too bad". There are so many cool places in these mountains you can't get to without some thwacking. If it is relatively short I can get into the zen flow and manage to move through it like I'm rock climbing with little or no physical damage, but long days, esp. when trying to get out before dark, often result in similar damage - which you did such a fine job of describing.