Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt. Stuart - 8.19.2009 to 8.21.2009
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostSun Aug 23, 2009 10:38 am 
At 9415 feet, Mt. Stuart is the single greatest mass of exposed granite in the United States… the second highest non-volcanic peak (Bonanza Peak is first at 9511’) in the state of Washington… the seventh highest peak in Washington… and number one on the Back Court 100 List. Trailhead… end of the N. Fork Teanaway River Road. We did the climb as a three day backpack trip… up and over Longs Pass to our Ingalls Creek camp on the first day… day hiking to the summit and back to camp on the second day… up and over Longs Pass and back to the car on the third day. Our route to the summit was via the well-documented Cascadian Couloir (also referred to by many as the Crapcadian Couloir)… and viewing it from Longs Pass caused me to ponder… really?… no way!… ain’t gonna happen!… however, rest assured that the couloir is not nearly as difficult as it looks from Longs Pass. At the top of the couloir (~7400’-7600’), cairns led us to a spot (~9000’) below the false summit that provided a good view of the true summit, which had been hidden for most of the day. Cairns aided in the traverse over and up to the summit (9415’)… Class 3. Views are outstanding in all directions. Leaving the summit we traced our steps back to ~7800 feet… where we opted to continue down via Beckey’s “Variation No. 1” route… which may have been the more popular scramble route before the Cascadian Couloir came into favor. Entire Trip – 13.7 miles, gaining 8300 feet of elevation. Ingalls Creek Camp to summit – 5.5 hours, 2.5 miles, gaining 4700 feet of elevation. Summit back to Camp – 4 hours, 2.8 miles. GPS route and photos of our climb of Mt. Stuart. Thanks to dacker for a recent trip report and photos of this climb... and to wildernessed for his trip report and GPS track. Three other solo day-hikers joined us during our summit stay… one of them saying that he reached the summit from Ingalls Creek in three hours… which I’m suggesting is the Fastest Known Time (FKT) for this feat… and not to be outdone, I’m suggesting that our 5.5 hour creek-to-summit time is the Slowest Known Time (SKT). ..

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
BarbE

BarbE
PostSun Aug 23, 2009 5:24 pm 
So this is what it's like to climb Stuart. Your TR and pictures are the next best thing to being there myself. up.gif Congratulations on finishing off number one and breaking a record in the process. dance.gif

Spotly

Spotly
PostSun Aug 23, 2009 5:54 pm 
Nice job. Sounds like you had a great time. That spot along Ingalls Creek looks like a tent city every time I've been through there smile.gif Thanks for the TR.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSun Aug 23, 2009 11:54 pm 
Great set of pictures. I'm hoping to do this in late Sept. I appreciate the time you take to add those route lines on some of the photos -- it adds a lot of interest and information.

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostMon Aug 24, 2009 1:03 am 
Excellent photo trail. I just added this trip to my list!

I desire medium danger williswall.com
Mtn Man
Snow addict

Mtn Man
Snow addict
PostMon Aug 24, 2009 1:09 pm 
Nice TR and impressive website for hikes! It really does feel like you're there. Thanks for the info! B)

Mmmmm, backcountry...
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostMon Aug 24, 2009 1:13 pm 
Great looking trip!!!! I think Colin needs a trail name, "Colman" I think would be good biggrin.gif

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)
PostMon Aug 24, 2009 1:39 pm 
Great report! Amen on the beta.

ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostMon Aug 24, 2009 5:21 pm 
Bryan wrote:
I think Colin needs a trail name, "Colman" I think would be good biggrin.gif
Perfect up.gif colman it is...

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
RG

RG
PostTue Aug 25, 2009 9:55 am 
Way to go guys! Your really knocking them out this year. And some technical climbing too. Awesome! When am I going to see a Rainier trip report from you guys? I know you said you had no desire to go there. You can't put it off forever. Rick

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostTue Aug 25, 2009 10:06 am 
Roger, it sure would be nice if you would set up your website so that we could "share" individual pictures that particularly impress us. Aside from that, don't you know that there are Senior Centers for guys like you, where you're supposed to spend your reclining years in upholstered comfort? Aasgard Pass X 2, with a little technical rockclimbing thrown in. dizzy.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
TrailPair

TrailPair
PostTue Aug 25, 2009 1:07 pm 
That is the best photo essay of climbing Stuart ever...... stun.gif rocker.gif borank.gif

This thing called work is interfering with my play
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostTue Aug 25, 2009 11:01 pm 
Would you recommend the variation over the standard?

rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostWed Aug 26, 2009 5:59 am 
The "variation" is easier. That's the way to go for someone who wants to do as little scrambling as possible.

ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostWed Aug 26, 2009 7:18 am 
Scrooge wrote:
Roger, it sure would be nice if you would set up your website so that we could "share" individual pictures that particularly impress us.
David... long story short... I use a program to create the trip photo albums for my website... it is a big time saver for me... that being said, if you or anyone wants one of rodman's GPS routes or one of my photos, send me a PM with your email address and I will provide a full-size image.