Forum Index > Trip Reports > Tuck & Robin Lakes -- 22-23 Aug 2009.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
demo
Arkansas Traveler

demo
Arkansas Traveler
PostTue Aug 25, 2009 1:53 am 
This trip started innocently enough, I was desperate to get out, but only had time for an overnighter. I don't really enjoy overnight trips too much, with all the planning and time and money involved, only to go out and come right back. Anyway, thats not the point of this TR. Besides, this trip might have changed my mind about overnighters. I was told to check out the Deception Pass are with the possibility of hooking up with the PCT to make a loop. A quick perusal later convinced me that I should definitely check out Tuck and Robin Lakes. I managed to get one of my friends/coworkers to come with me and we were off. The first 3.5 miles or so are fairly uneventful, if it does anything it lulls into a false sense that this is going to be an easy trip. The trail gently rolls along and reaches the main part of Hyas Lake in 2 miles. There are some decent views and picture taking opportunies along this section. Along with several lakeside well-established camping spots, there were lots of people dayhiking around, fishing, avoiding all the horse poop, and just generally having a good time. We stopped part way up the first steep section, not realizing we were less than half a mile from the Tuck & Robin Lakes trail intersection, at a nice big rock with a great view of Mount Daniel and Lynch Glacier. We enjoyed our excellent lunch and were caught up with and passed by several groups (including kbatku and his sons). NOTE: This was probably my best-eating trip I've ever had. We went all out on the food and beverages. Salumi Hot Sopressetta, aged Cheddar cheese, microbrew IPA in a can, and Theo chocolate were just a few of the highlights.
Hyas Lake looking NW, about 2 miles in.
Hyas Lake looking NW, about 2 miles in.
We stopped for lunch about 4 miles in with a great view of Mount Daniel and Lynch Glacier.
We stopped for lunch about 4 miles in with a great view of Mount Daniel and Lynch Glacier.
Looking back down to Hyas Lake from the trail, just shy of Tuck Lake.
Looking back down to Hyas Lake from the trail, just shy of Tuck Lake.
Some of the delicious stuff we ate throughout the trip.
Some of the delicious stuff we ate throughout the trip.
We reached the Tuck & Robin Lakes trail junction after passing the groups that had previously passed us and kept on going. The trail to Tuck Lake gets really rough really quick. The closest thing I can compare it to is that it is a dry version of the Mildred Lakes trail in the Olympics. Where it is not rocky and/or rooty, it is touch to get a good foothold because of the loose gravel. On top of that, as the trees got shorter and thinned out due to the elevation, it got fairly warm even though it was only 60 degrees. I honestly don't remember too much from this section of the trail other than the few people we talked to. We were just concentraiting on trudghing up this 2 mile section of the tail and looking forward to Tuck Lake. And boy was it worth it. Tuck lake is quite spectacular. I particularly liked the island. We stopped only for a few minutes, took a few photos, and headed on our way. We managed to find our way around and over the Tuck lake drainage and headed on up to Robin Lakes.
First glimpse of Tuck Lake and it's island.
First glimpse of Tuck Lake and it's island.
View from the "beach" on Tuck Lake.
View from the "beach" on Tuck Lake.
Looking back down at Tuck Lake, about 1/3 way up to Robin Lakes.
Looking back down at Tuck Lake, about 1/3 way up to Robin Lakes.
Shadow self-portrait.
Shadow self-portrait.
At this point, the trail becomes less "trail" and more of a scramble. It is quite technical, I put away my trekking poles in exchange for using my hands -- I also climb, so this felt more natural when having to scramble. The views on this section just get better with each step you take. About 3/4 of the way up this section, the tail pretty much ends and you follow a series of cairn stones across granite slabs. We reached Robin Lakes about 5 hours after we started (including stops) and still had a good 5-6 hours of daylight. From the top of the trail above the lakes, we could see Mt. Rainier, Mt. Adams, and the Goat Rocks. We took in the view for a good while and then headed down to claim a camping spot.
Robin Lakes panorama from the top of the hill/end of the trail.
Robin Lakes panorama from the top of the hill/end of the trail.
Upper Robin Lake panorama.
Upper Robin Lake panorama.
We talked to some of our neighbors, scoped out the area, and were offered a great site by two guys that were heading out after being in the area for 4-5 days. We setup camp and it was only 5pm at this point, so we decided we would hike over the ridge and see what the Granite Mtn. Potholes looked like. Besides, I wanted to get a glimpse of Glacier Peak. I got just that, along with a nice walk through some morraines of a long gone glacier and ideas about a future trip back through Tuck & Robin lakes and down to the Potholes -- there looks to be a very promising bivy site between a couple of them.
One of the morraines we walked through heading over to Granite Mtn Potholes.
One of the morraines we walked through heading over to Granite Mtn Potholes.
I wanted to get a glimpse of Glacier Peak and got just that. I think that is Mac Peak in front of it.
I wanted to get a glimpse of Glacier Peak and got just that. I think that is Mac Peak in front of it.
Looking down on Granite Mtn Potholes and Trico Mtn to the left.
Looking down on Granite Mtn Potholes and Trico Mtn to the left.
Taking in the view above Granite Mtn Potholes.
Taking in the view above Granite Mtn Potholes.
We headed back to camp as the sun started to set, taking a different route over some more of the morraines and arriving at the upper lake at its most northern point. This is also where we found the motherload of Huckleberries! A great dinner of Corn Chowder with Smoked Salmon thrown in, beer I had packed in, and other assorted goodies followed by a great sunset.
Heading back to Robin Lakes as the sun started to set.
Heading back to Robin Lakes as the sun started to set.
Huckleberry Heaven on the North side of upper Robin Lake.
Huckleberry Heaven on the North side of upper Robin Lake.
Nice reflection of part of Granite Mtn in middle Robin Lake.
Nice reflection of part of Granite Mtn in middle Robin Lake.
Looking South over the lower Robin Lakes, past Cathedral Rock and to Mount Rainier.
Looking South over the lower Robin Lakes, past Cathedral Rock and to Mount Rainier.
We visited with our closest neighbors, who were quite drunk, and I gave a short astronomy lesson to them as one of the best star and galaxy displays unfolded itself. My hiking partner was quick to point out several artificial satellites as they orbitted our little home. I slept quite well and had absolutely no problems with weather or critters. I awoke in the morning to find my hiking partner sitting up in his sleeping bag and bivy on the adjacent rock watching the clouds (that had come in around 3am) roll of the mountain and burn off by the rising sun. We were in absolutely no hurry to get out of there, so we took our time with breakfast and accompanying Starbucks Via instant coffee. Both my friend and I can be considered coffee snobs and we both agree that it was definitely the best instant coffee we'd ever had and an automatic inclusion for future trips. We followed up breakfast with a Salumi and Cheddar cheese chaiser biggrin.gif We slowly broke camp, wandered and explored the lakes some more, took more pictures, taked with the goats, and eventually got out of there at noon. The trip down was much easier and quicker; we made it back to the trailhead by 4pm including stops to chat with other hikers and to eat. Overall, an absolutely AMAZING trip to some of the best country I've personally had the pleasure to see. It's a tough one, but probably has one of the BEST payoffs for a trail of it's difficulty. If you are hemming and hawing about going on this trip, just do it. You will not be disappointed.
The view back down toward our bivy site.
The view back down toward our bivy site.
Mount Daniel starting to show itself.
Mount Daniel starting to show itself.
Yes, I had a perfect bivy spot.
Yes, I had a perfect bivy spot.
Mount Daniel from upper Robin Lake panorama.
Mount Daniel from upper Robin Lake panorama.
The water was unbelievably clear.
The water was unbelievably clear.
Trails around Robin Lakes were well worn.
Trails around Robin Lakes were well worn.
Wildflowers abound.
Wildflowers abound.
Mom and baby goat.
Mom and baby goat.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostTue Aug 25, 2009 7:52 am 
i did this hike a month ago with Highwalker's Daughter, kathb/oldgrrrl, and the next day, Snowdog joined us. it was a grind for sure. i was absolutely awed with the beauty of the area. my tent was on the huge rock i named grand goat central as they hung out there. the goats kept me hostage even biggrin.gif you sure know how to pack a lunch! no dehydrated crap for you hungry.gif we also stopped on the way down for a snack at that rock. thanks for the TR and photos and reminding me of a super overnighter at T & R up.gif oh, i, too, brought along starbucks via on another hike. i know nothing about coffee as i put in too much sugar and cream but via was quite tasty!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostTue Aug 25, 2009 9:11 am 
How bad were the people? Have they died down again, or was there a second hatch up there as well? hockeygrin.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
demo
Arkansas Traveler

demo
Arkansas Traveler
PostTue Aug 25, 2009 10:28 pm 
There were probably 4-5 other parties staying in the Robin Lakes area, but still more great sites than there were other people. A good portion of the people we met on the trail that said they were heading up to Robin Lakes never made it up there -- I'm guessing they got up to Tuck and figured that it was good enough. wink.gif