Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mazama Ridge- Hike #100!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostSat Dec 05, 2009 7:17 pm 
Mazama Ridge-MRNP 12-5-09 Hike #100! Well I did it! Annie & Nancy joined me today on this special hike. I'm still in shock, I managed to pull it off, it feel s surreal. I had never been to Mazama Ridge, which is surprising for as many times as I've been to Rainer. Nancy suggested this one and showed us the way. Annie and I arrived early to catch the sunset but the mountain was not showing that early and gate @ Longmire didn't open till 8.
Waiting for the sunrise, and the gate to open..
Waiting for the sunrise, and the gate to open..
But as soon as we headed up to Paradise the clouds broke and views were spectacular! Not sure I could have ordered up anymore blue sky or mountain views.
Puffy, sparkley white stuff
Puffy, sparkley white stuff
Oh.. la la
Oh.. la la
The shadows spell out 100! Very clever!
The shadows spell out 100! Very clever!
We didn't use snow shoes as the snow was crunchy and only post holed a few times. The lines in the snow were so detailed. It was a fantastic spot. Weather was chilly 16 degrees when we set out but quickly warmed up to 20. I can't say enough about how great today was, just know that my cheeks were hurting from my HUGE grin on my face.. Thanks to Nancy for giving me a new REI thermos filled with coco.
Hi Beauty!
Hi Beauty!
Mazama Ridge-Hike #100 
Nancy, Janelle, Annie 
12-5-09
Mazama Ridge-Hike #100 Nancy, Janelle, Annie 12-5-09
Kicking back
Kicking back
Now I must prepare for hike #101 tomorrow! Special Note: Thank you to all NWHIKERS for your support and love over the past couple of years, you are all amazing people! I couldn't do it w/o your great advice, comments, & support. WTA TR's and awesome website and magazine have also contributed to my success, and I appreciate all the trail work they do for us all! Much love and admiration to my new circle of hiking women, most whom I have met @ nwhikers; Bobbi, Kari, Nancy,& Lynn. I can't wait to take it to the next level and backpack with you all next year! Thanks to Annie for being my BFF and always getting stuff out of my pack for me, holding my poles and being my cheerleader! I couldn't have done this great achievement w/o you! Here's to taking it to the next level and backpacking in 2010! VIDEO DONE
Cheers to All and to ALL a good night.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostSat Dec 05, 2009 7:32 pm 
Congrats on #100. That's quite an accomplishment in one year up.gif I like that you're already planning #101

Eric Eames
goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostSat Dec 05, 2009 7:46 pm 
Congrats, janwalker. That averages to a hike every 3 or so days. Awesome! and quite an accomplishment. cheers.gif dance.gif chickenleg.gif twirl.gif

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSat Dec 05, 2009 7:47 pm 
you are the HIKING QUEEN! congratulations! party.gif chickenleg.gif twirl.gif dance.gif 2009 has a few more weeks left......i'll say at least 15 hikes more to go!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostSat Dec 05, 2009 7:55 pm 
Congrats! Beautiful day and hike you had. Next years goal? How about 200! Nice job. up.gif

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
Highwalker's Daughter

Highwalker's Daughter
PostSat Dec 05, 2009 9:56 pm 
Looks like a great day for the 100th, and we are happy to be part of your circle. Looking forward to your 101 with you tomorrow. Sunshine dance!!!

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostSat Dec 05, 2009 10:19 pm 
What I'm not sure you can see from Janelle's report is the fact that she was grinning and smiling ALL DAY!!!
This was a great day for her and I'm so glad I could share it with her and Annie. Mazama Ridge is a fun easy snowshoe/hike that can be absolutely spectacular with the right sun and snow conditions. We started out with clear blue skies.
Goofing around with our shadows we decided to create a "100"...sort of !
And of course the obligatory shoe shots...
There is endless wandering to do up on the ridge and we found beautiful snow formations everywhere
It was hard to know which direction to aim the camera sometimes...
During our lunch break we were entertained/accosted by the locals but Janelle, the Bird-Whisperer was able to keep them under control
At one point there was a hiker down... eek.gif
But she was quickly rescued by her best friend!
As the day progressed the Mountain was playing it's familiar game of peek-a-boo
And the clouds started to move in. But we were all still smiling and grinning because it was such a great day!
Here's to goals achieved and goals to come! up.gif up.gif up.gif Congrats once again, Janelle! dance.gif

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostSat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 pm 
Excellent job. I seem to recall someone suggesting that you go for 100 this year once you had done 50 last year. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7972264&highlight=50 What a great idea that was. wink.gif

Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostSat Dec 05, 2009 11:18 pm 
Nancy, nice pics, hiker down.. I went down alot but it was fun... I felt like a model there for a while you were all snapping pics of me..and guess what I'm STILL SMILING! Thank you all for positivity and sharing in my goal all year. It means alot! WTA is supposed to be publishing a little piece in next months issue about my 100th or goals or something. I haven't read it yet.. just small piece but very exciting non the less.

Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostSat Dec 05, 2009 11:19 pm 
Eric wrote:
Excellent job. I seem to recall someone suggesting that you go for 100 this year once you had done 50 last year. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7972264&highlight=50 What a great idea that was. wink.gif
That's right Eric, you were smart to know that was going to happen before I did!

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSat Dec 05, 2009 11:23 pm 
great photos, Nancy! up.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSun Dec 06, 2009 12:32 am 
That's really something -- 100 hikes. Congrats!

Tazz

Tazz
PostSun Dec 06, 2009 12:44 am 
zachster... the shots at the end are incredible you have some great compositions and timing/lighting gems there! Good work. yeah 100 hikes!! up.gif

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostSun Dec 06, 2009 7:02 am 
All right, let's get this straight. Were all 100 hikes documented here on NWH?.......If not, then how do we know you did 100 hikes?...... hockeygrin.gif My question is.....What would Josh do?

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostSun Dec 06, 2009 7:04 am 
GeoHiker wrote:
All right, let's get this straight. Were all 100 hikes documented here on NWH?.......If not, then how do we know you did 100 hikes?...... hockeygrin.gif My question is.....What would Josh do?
I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT HE WOULD DO.. Only god knows.. I have a spreadsheet I've kept track.. and I think most were TR's here, if not all.