Forum Index > Food & Grub > Q. for Jenjen, Dicentra and anybody else who likes wild game
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostMon Aug 31, 2009 2:08 pm 
Grouse season opens Sept. 1 and blue grouse have rather meaty breasts so I'm wondering...has anyone here ever substituted grouse for chicken in such dishes as chicken (grouse) parmesan, or chicken (grouse) fetuccini?? Seems to me that ought to be right tasty.

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Aug 31, 2009 2:45 pm 
dunno... but if you bring it on down, I'll be happy to cook it.... or if you've already got a fire built, I have a nice cast-iron skillet I could bring along.... smile.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostMon Aug 31, 2009 2:49 pm 
Ski wrote:
dunno... but if you bring it on down, I'll be happy to cook it.... or if you've already got a fire built, I have a nice cast-iron skillet I could bring along.... smile.gif
Cripes! hairy.gif I haven't even shot 'em yet. hungry.gif

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostMon Aug 31, 2009 4:17 pm 
In my opinion, grouse do best in dishes where you'd use dark chicken meat. They do have nice meaty breasts, but they're also kind of tough so they take longer cooking. (grouse actually do fly, something chickens avoid if at all possible) The grouse fettucini ought to be very tasty. Grouse cacciatore is very good. Grouse does really well with dumplings and in pot pies. Oooh, and roasted with an orange marmalade glaze. The grouse parmesan would be tasty, but most likely tough unless you pounded the meat first to tenderize it.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Aug 31, 2009 5:00 pm 
Grouse are very much like chickens were before they started injecting them with hormones, antibiotics, water and godknowswhat huh.gif Any old school chicken recipe like Chicken cacciatori (authentic Italian no tomato sauce) or coq au vin (Julia Child) will be great. In both the bird is first sauteed with oil and herbs then baked in broth and wine with veggies. The tougher bird holds up better and does not turn to mush and has a better flavor than all but the best free range chickens.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
dawgTE

dawgTE
PostMon Aug 31, 2009 7:07 pm 
One of my favorite dishes growing up was grouse that is browned in a pan with some oil and herbs, then turn down the heat and add some cream of mushroom soup. Let simmer. Delicious. I think I just made myself hungry. Looks like I now know what I am doing this weekend hockeygrin.gif

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostMon Aug 31, 2009 8:14 pm 
The way I cook my flogging roosters and old laying hens (but not Red Hen, she's safe) is: Cut them up, brown the parts, put in a crock pot with a can of stewed tomatoes, and some ok red wine. (you know the kind. The bottle looked good, somebody recommended it so you bought it and it turns out to be kinda blah. That's the wine you use here) Add salt and pepper to taste. When the bird is cooked through and tender, take it out of the crock pot and pull the meat off the bones (you specifically want the bones cooked into the sauce - great flavor and body). Turn the crockpot to high and let the sauce reduce - add fresh herbs now, rosemary, oregano, and basil are my favorites but choose whatever. Put the meat back into the sauce when it's nice and thick. Serve over noodles or boiled new potatoes. Grouse would work great cooked like this. *now I'm hungry all over again. I'll have to pull that last rooster out of the freezer...*

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostMon Aug 31, 2009 11:06 pm 
I've never tried grouse. If someone wanted to kill and clean it for me I'd be happy to cook them dinner...

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Sep 01, 2009 5:38 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Grouse are very much like chickens were before they started injecting them with hormones, antibiotics, water and godknowswhat huh.gif Any old school chicken recipe like Chicken cacciatori (authentic Italian no tomato sauce) or coq au vin (Julia Child) will be great. In both the bird is first sauteed with oil and herbs then baked in broth and wine with veggies. The tougher bird holds up better and does not turn to mush and has a better flavor than all but the best free range chickens.
up.gif Exactly! I HATE and DESPISE modern chicken, it has no flavor - might as well be a brick of man made meat. Give me wild meat, that says "Go Meat!" lol.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.

PostTue Sep 01, 2009 8:14 pm 
Dave Workman wrote:
Grouse season opens Sept. 1 and blue grouse have rather meaty breasts so I'm wondering...has anyone here ever substituted grouse for chicken in such dishes as chicken (grouse) parmesan, or chicken (grouse) fetuccini?? Seems to me that ought to be right tasty.
When we lived in Stevens County we would go for an afternoon drive and shoot a few grouse for Sunday night dinner. Really not hunting. Cooked the grouse just like chicken and they were always great. I don't remember them being tough at all, though I do like JenJen's suggestion about pounding the birds. We have started doing that with chicken and it does help. One time we ran into a bunch of grouse in the middle of a huckleberry patch. I only shot one for dinner. That grouse had eaten so many huckleberry's that its "white" meat had a purple tinge to it. That was the best fowl that I have ever eaten. So if you find grouse feeding on a late huckleberry patch....I would put four of those into the bag.

Retired Forester....rambling round www.usbackroads.blogspot.com
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Sep 08, 2009 11:03 am 
Is it illegal to hunt grouse with an ice axe? I've been tempted to do so many times. Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Sep 08, 2009 11:24 am 
I am ashamed of you Steve it is illegal and unethical to hunt grouse with an ice axe the only acceptable implement is wink.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostTue Sep 08, 2009 12:17 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
I am ashamed of you Steve it is illegal and unethical to hunt grouse with an ice axe the only acceptable implement is wink.gif
I have seen blue grouse dumb enough to let you get that close, too.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Sep 09, 2009 9:51 am 
Good one, Mal. So, can you play golf with that bum knee? If so, PM me and let's get out there. Oh yeah, Dave. I've seen lots of Blues and Ruffeds that I could have picked off with an ice axe or an 8 iron.