Forum Index > Trip Reports > TNAB roams Rampart Ridge 8-27-09
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Aug 31, 2009 9:50 am 
Exclusive picture of TNAB leaders wink.gif and Canine Auxiliary hockeygrin.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
huron

huron
PostMon Aug 31, 2009 9:58 am 
tigermn

tigermn
PostMon Aug 31, 2009 9:59 am 
Goliter - member since August 30th 1 post... Obviously a troll or a regular afraid to use their real identity or some combination of the two lol.gif

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Aug 31, 2009 12:45 pm 
Magellan wrote:
Did anyone notice the campfire down at Rampart Lakes? Is that against regs? Not trying to divert attention, just wondering if it was disregard or ignorance or totally legit.
Rampart lakes are at around 5100ft -- a shade above the 5000ft limit for campfires on the east side of the crest. So not in compliance with Wilderness regulations or the idea of minimum impact. As to the issue of dogs and horses in the backcountry -- I think it is important to remember that the support of hunters (that use dogs in the hunt) and backcounty riders was absolutely key to the passage of the wilderness act back in 1964. So without the dogs and horses -- you'd be hiking in a clearcut -- not a wilderness area. That said the dogs human companions need to control their dogs behavoir appropropriately and not allow them to dig, chase or otherwise harass wildlife and intrude on other's people's enjoyment of the wilderness. People that are strongly anti-dog -- you may have a dog-free experience by visiting our national parks -- where dogs are only permitted on roads and parking lots.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Aug 31, 2009 1:07 pm 
Not sure Rampart Lakes are considered east of the crest either. They drain to the west.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostMon Aug 31, 2009 2:03 pm 
How does a group size limit (but no total hiker limit) for day hikes protect wilderness, anyway? I'm not asking rhetorically, I don't understand how but I imagine there is an explanation. Or is the point not really protecting wilderness but the wilderness experience of other hikers (because the bigger the group, the bigger the noise)?

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Aug 31, 2009 2:36 pm 
Suggest discussing the issue of large groups in wilderness in this thread in stewardship. Probably a better long term place.

sky_pilot

sky_pilot
PostMon Aug 31, 2009 2:38 pm 
Tom wrote:
Not sure Rampart Lakes are considered east of the crest either. They drain to the west.
Rampart Lakes drain into Gold Creek --> Keechelus --> Yakima --> Columbia.

Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Sep 02, 2009 4:58 pm 
yukon222 wrote:
...Stefan...
There's another Stefan out there???? I gotta meet this dude. We are rare folks in the U.S.!!!

Art is an adventure.
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostWed Sep 02, 2009 5:11 pm 
You two would be a good pair. He's damn fast also. wink.gif "Wonder twin powers, activate!"

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Stefan-K

Stefan-K
PostFri Sep 04, 2009 12:07 pm 
Thanks Mike - t'would be good to meet my twin indeed. Hello! As for hiking fast I must say I lean towards aesthetic over performance, stylistics over statistics, but yeah, if pressed or inspired (and the cascades do inspire), I can hike fast. Posting, on the other hand... more like molasses like this thread needs anymore beautiful pics... well OK, maybe to counterbalance all that talk of heartbeats, canine politics, and such (I did appreciate the historical perspective offered up by RandyHiker and a philosophical widening of the discussion by Foist), other than that thank you all for your beautiful pics!
bird of prey prey
bird of prey prey
Alta to Hibox span, left to right in background
Alta to Hibox span, left to right in background
ridge nabbing, sunset clicking group of seven
ridge nabbing, sunset clicking group of seven
mmmm, brownies, want one?
mmmm, brownies, want one?
Mt. Rainier picture taker with sunset and silhouette
Mt. Rainier picture taker with sunset and silhouette
rampart ridge cairn
rampart ridge cairn
picture of sunset picture takers
picture of sunset picture takers
tree says that way
tree says that way
late dusk Lillian
late dusk Lillian
that's the Lemah fire burning on the horizon. Our scenic detour across late lit fields and hawks circling above with Magellan et al brought back memories of a Sloan trip years ago, sitting with a friend on a steep field with hawks lazily cruising the thermals for field mice in the setting sun.

Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostSun Dec 27, 2009 11:02 pm 
Tom wrote:
FWIW, I called the Snoqualmie Ranger District and asked about party size rules. They told me the limit is 12 heartbeats in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness and that dogs count toward the limit. If so, you guys are 2 over in that picture. I apologize for the knee jerk reaction in my initial response. It seems you didn't intend to break the rules. Sincerely, Inspector Clouseau
Not to reopen a bygone discussion but I took the time to meet with the forest service rangers in NB and they clarified the regulation for ALW in regards to dogs: they are not considered party members in count, nor does the Alpine Wilderness regulate on a heartbeat system that includes canines. We discussed in length the leash regulations and group size travel. I certainly appreciated that they took the time to not only review the rules with me but also assisted in some trailhead break-in issues we ran into this season. Crazy looking back through the season while updating my hiking calendar, it sure was a year of beautiful photos and smiling faces!