Forum Index > Trip Reports > A Fun Hike Going to Camp Muir (Mount Rainier Attempt 2)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostWed Sep 02, 2009 2:38 pm 
Slide Alder Slayer wrote:
Josh, I know you realize that regardless of conditions, unless a very kind soul swapped out a pair of crampons with a universal attachment system that would fit your boots for the hybrid or step-in pair that you brought with you, that your Rainier summit attempt was doomed from the beginning. Seeing the forest is great, but you also need to see the individual trees and what is lacking is attention to detail, not an uncommon circumstance for a young man your age. Having said that, you are attempting adult activities and you deserve to be addressed as an adult and not talked down to; that will become easier for some members on this and other climbing sites as you recognize and self evaluate the difference between how you perceive events and those who hike and climb with you do. They are the video camera recording your actions and I would encourage you to recognize that and challenge your self perceptions. Lastly, consider a climbing mentor instead of a climbing partner. A mentor requires the use of both ears and both eyes and not the mouth. It also requires a truly honest, in-depth, and heart felt request for assistance.
A kind hearted lady on the way down did let me use her crampons and like a mom helped me put them on without asking her to. So I need to get good boots that fit the crampons. A mentor is going to be hard to get. So far I have my friend Mark teaching me rock climbing stuff which is a plus. As for the crampon thing, I think they were not tight enough, they fit on, but after a while one of them sorta came undone, so if I used a little duct tape it would have worked out just fine. biggrin.gif But next time duct tape is not apart of my plan...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostWed Sep 02, 2009 8:10 pm 
Still no Baker TR!!

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostWed Sep 02, 2009 8:40 pm 
EastKing wrote:
Still no Baker TR!!
Sorry, I had school today, I have quite a few pages typed but there's still more, it's a big trip report! Tell ya what, I can type more tonight, and perhaps the rest tommorow and post it if it's done... sound good?

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostSun Sep 06, 2009 8:34 pm 
No TR on Baker!! I wonder if you were being dishonest with us! The audience has been waiting for over a month now! down.gif down.gif

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
Tazz

Tazz
PostSun Sep 06, 2009 8:51 pm 
well he stopped posting since SP banned him (for the 2-3-4-5th time he is Ip banned now) and spanked him for lying and putting others in danger by his lies. So maybe he is soaking that in. OR maybe he is rock climbing with Mark. that would be the best case. up.gif

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSun Sep 06, 2009 9:21 pm 
In response to EastKing's "STILL NO BAKER TR", flow said
Quote:
Sorry, I had school today, I have quite a few pages typed but there's still more, it's a big trip report! Tell ya what, I can type more tonight, and perhaps the rest tommorow and post it if it's done... sound good?
Not very. irked.gif Here's one more piece of advice: when you're working on a BIG report, take a clue from Matt or Tom or JimK ....... or me; do it in installments.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostSun Sep 06, 2009 9:41 pm 
Ok you know what, I'll have to type the rest of it tonight and post it tonight, I can tell some of you are too eager. I was busy, plus discouraged to post it from previous comments, but now I'm totally gonna type it up. I had school recently, friends, and such, but now have time, so hopefully I'll have it posted in a few hours when done.

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostSun Sep 06, 2009 11:01 pm 
Flow wrote:
Ok you know what, I'll have to type the rest of it tonight and post it tonight, I can tell some of you are too eager. I was busy, plus discouraged to post it from previous comments, but now I'm totally gonna type it up. I had school recently, friends, and such, but now have time, so hopefully I'll have it posted in a few hours when done.
I will hold you to that Josh. We have waited long enough!!! Make sure you post pics of you on the summit.
Quote:
A mentor is going to be hard to get. So far I have my friend Mark teaching me rock climbing stuff which is a plus.
You had one, Gimpilator, and potential have/had more in Redwic, Iron, and me. It is fairly easy to have a mentor, but you must listen to your mentor and be honest with them. Gimpilator has always had an open door to you and has advised you on different climbs. Without question him and I would have showed you crevasse rescue by next year!!!!! I wanted to help out more, but you continue to make very questionable calls with your life. In this last adventure you overstated your skills and were not honest about the conditions on Mount Rainier which led for the third person in your group to blast you (though he made mistakes as well) on SP. You have summited Baker (maybe???) and Dickerman in a four month span but have missed out on so many others due to unwise decisions. Your potential mentors have done at least 20 more during that same timespan. Even Iron with a broken leg has done twice as much in that span. I think in ideal conditions you are good for Adams, St. Helens, and South Sister, as well as Maude and Seven Fingered Jack. All great mountains but none the danger of Rainier. Think about doing some of those in September with a good partner before the true snow (not this weekend) comes in for good. Hopefully over the winter you will continue to stay small focusing on Si, and other smaller summits and focus on rebuilding your reputation as well get in touch with Gimpilator again.

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostMon Sep 07, 2009 3:10 am 
EastKing wrote:
No TR on Baker!! I wonder if you were being dishonest with us! The audience has been waiting for over a month now! down.gif down.gif
Sorry about that. I got busy, and well it was kinda long, here it is: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7978356 It's mostly done, but it's 3:00 a.m. and I'm pretty tired, a few more paragraphs hopefully coming tommorow. I been gone for those three weeks so a lot of that time I could not post it. Being dishonost with the Eastking...... lol.gif If I'm ever dishonest, let me know, I never try to be dishonest, or hardly ever anyways....

peltoms

peltoms
PostMon Sep 07, 2009 6:57 am 
Good crampons are so nice, and so essential. You will love having a pair, get them before another good attempt, it will be worth it. Nice pictures of the Muir area. You sound much more relaxed about making the summit. Is that from Baker success?

North Cascade Glacier Climate Project: http://www.nichols.edu/departments/glacier/
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostMon Sep 07, 2009 10:33 am 
Thanks! Perhaps I need is mountaineering boots instead. If you read the Mount Baker trip report, I indeed summited! Or else why would I type "So much joy I have when I summited"

shadetree

shadetree
PostMon Sep 07, 2009 11:17 am 
Hey Josh. Interesting trip report. Just wondering.....did you ever come up with a new pair of boots. I'm glad you had a good time. hockeygrin.gif

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostMon Sep 07, 2009 11:39 am 
shadetree wrote:
Hey Josh. Interesting trip report. Just wondering.....did you ever come up with a new pair of boots. I'm glad you had a good time. hockeygrin.gif
Nope. frown.gif Thanks. smile.gif

mossy mom

mossy mom
PostMon Sep 07, 2009 11:53 am 
Flow wrote:
Do you have MS word? My advice to you is to run your TR through word or some other spelling and grammar checker. My spelling and grammar is rotten and the spell checker on this board does not work with my web browser.

mossy mom

mossy mom
PostMon Sep 07, 2009 11:55 am 
My crampons did the same thing. They fit fine at first but then the stretched out and won't stay all the way on anymore. That is why I ended up doing Adams with out crampons.