Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Oct 15, 2013 12:41 pm 
Frosty wrote:
After my broken ankle, I found that picking up a steel ball bearing with my toes was good for gently stretching out my foot. The other foot benefitted from the stretching too! My physio had a night boot to borrow, but gave it to me to early on and it was too painful to wear for more than an hour. Later on I bought one and could actually wear it for a longer period. If you have a high arch you can pad under your foot to support it. If your heel can't touch the bottom of the boot, you can put a wedge under it until it does!
Nice to know. I have unusually high arches according to the folks who have made my boots. I've not been going for walks since the beach visit, the pain is almost gone, but not quite gone. I had a few twinges while bike riding yesterday. Last time it flared up from hiking on a trail shared with motorcycles so I was walking straddling the ditch. It didn't take this long to get better.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
jjreth

jjreth
PostWed Oct 16, 2013 3:22 pm 
Here are some helpful self massage tips that may help with plantar fasciitis pain. http://tao-fit.com/plantar-fasciitis Good luck. Jesse James

Canuck

Canuck
PostThu Oct 17, 2013 11:22 am 
Mine eventually did go away but it sure took a long time. I ran that 5k anyway in 2009, when the pf was at its worst, and it was agony. After a mile, the pain started to go up my leg. I had to walk on & off (limp is more like it) but I finished strong (at least mentally!) -- and then could barely walk for a week afterwards but it was worth it. It was a cancer fundraiser that I did with a good friend who had cancer, and there were people walking the course who clearly were in the worst part of chemo or other treatment, and I figured if they could complete the course, I was being a wuss. PF will get better. Cancer... maybe not. Anyway then I stopped running for a year. It went away pretty quickly. Never returned. Then I got into a nasty car accident, and stopped running again for awhile due to back/hip issues. Back at it now, and all is good. I still rarely go barefoot though, I stretch my feet/ankles/calves all the time, and I wear good, proper shoes. That all seems to help.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Jan 21, 2016 6:31 pm 
Been having a flareup of PF for a few weeks now. Finally went to a podiatrist, she gave me one of those night boots that helps stretch it while you sleep and a prescription of the anti-inflammatory Meloxicam which I have been taking now for about 5 days. I am also being fitted with custom orthotics next week. I have never been a person to ice my body as many recommend, but last night after basketball I took a tube of frozen hamburger and rolled my foot on it for about 20 minutes and was amazed that the pain was nearly completely gone and have very little pain. I suppose the anti-inflammatory med is helping as well. Just my .02.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
JPH

JPH
PostThu Jan 21, 2016 6:42 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
she gave me one of those night boots that helps stretch it while you sleep
I found the Strassburg Sock to be more comfortable and effective for PF when I had to deal with it a couple years ago: http://www.amazon.com/Strassburg-Sock-Regular-Size-Around/dp/B00JB2UDTQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453426825&sr=8-1&keywords=strassburg+sock I think I heard of the sock from Big Steve on this very thread...

meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostFri Jan 22, 2016 6:21 am 
I am currently going through treatment for PF My podiatrist was very firm about his therapy choice no barefoot, shoe with insert at all times no sidewalk / hard surface walking to start. Swimming , biking etc . With that I cannot comply. One has to walk at work, etc. no stretching / flexing exercises. He warned against all the stretch vids etc on line. Can rolling as much as possible ICE every night before bed. I am improved after 1 month but not 100%. Orthodic to follow along with advice for shoe selection based on my needs My hiking boots are great while I am walking, but I really feel the effects that evening. I suspect that is because I have backed off from my daily stepping routine and a hike comes as a shock.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Jan 22, 2016 8:17 am 
After months of suffering from chronic PFitis and little relief from ice, stretching, taping, etc., in October I went to Dr. Douglas S. Hale for dry needling, steroid shot and custom orthotics. I started running again and within 3 weeks my PFitis was gone! My wife, an ARNP who suffered for a full year from PFitis, had a similar successful outcome with the same treatment from Dr. Hale (although I think she got a second steroid shot). Luv getting back out there running again. On March 19 I'll again be sweeping the Chuckanut 50K ultra. Thanks to ultraunning legend Don Mukai for the referral to Dr. Hale.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Jan 22, 2016 8:49 am 
My problem is pretty much gone as long as I wear either crocks or shoes with the $40 insoles. I threw out the custom made $400 orthotics. They didn't work as good as the cheapos I found at a glorified feed store where the staff was kind enough to let me try on the insoles. My feet went ahhhhhh, and I bought them. Feet got better. I'm walking and if the feet are too sore I skip a day. I have bunions that bother too, but that isn't as terrible as the PF. Hmmm, I just had a brain fart. PF Flyers.....coincidence? Conspiracy? Hmmmmmmm. smile.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Frosty

Frosty
PostFri Jan 22, 2016 11:46 am 
I have had it start up twice but have found that wearing New Balance trainers in the house instead of barefooting it nips it in the bud. smile.gif

Frosty, Lucky enough to live where it snows in the winter! smile.gif
mmmmmm
ummagumma

mmmmmm
ummagumma
PostMon Jan 25, 2016 10:48 am 
Plantar fascitis can also be a peripheral indicator of underlying autoimmune problems such as psoriasis, inflammatory bowel disease and/or spondyloarthritis. A rheumatologist may have the answer if you have other symptoms.

Trail Angel

Trail Angel
PostSun Feb 21, 2016 7:37 pm 
I'm new to the PF lifestyle. I'm a bit worried because I start my job in a few weeks where I will be walking on the average of 10 miles a day through the woods and streams in giant wading boots. I'm taking all this advice to heart, so I appreciate this conversation. I'm thrilled to learn Chaco makes a flip and a sandal that has PF friendly soles. It has the "podiatrist-certified LUVSEAT™ PU footbed for all-day comfort and support. " Has anybody used them? Also, has anyone had problems with their back when using othotics? My spine is not happy after a week of the cheap-o heel orthotics.

tigermn

tigermn
PostMon Feb 22, 2016 10:24 am 
Ok this is a bit long winded but... Mine started sometime last year. I actually think my Garmin Vivofit is somewhat to blame. What it did was greatly increase my walking/activity in general quite a bit. I think it started with overuse (compared to previously) not to mention getting older. Anyway I first went the podiatrist route. This helped a little but I hit a wall after a month or two. Of course the $400 custom orthotics, night boot, being constantly on anti-inflammatorys, yada yada. After a couple months of this the next course of treatment was going to be a steroid shot. No thanks. I'll exhaust everything else first. While with the above mentioned items I was somewhat better but I was still nowhere close to where I wanted it healed and going nowhere. Not to mention being on Anti-inflammatorys you could never really tell how much you were masking things. I ended up going to a chiropractor and someone who specializes in treating soft tissue. Believe me I had never been to a chiropractor and was highly skeptical. My sister talked me into it finally. The chiropractor found my ankle joint going into the heel area was kind of stuck and not working properly. This was likely what put it over the top. He adjusted that and I also went for some laser and ultrasound treatments as well as some physical workings to break up the scar tissue. Since this had been a chronic condition (since sometime last spring/summer), it was going to take a while to reverse. For the first months I went twice a week. After that I have been going back about once a month. This all started back in like late October/early November. I was also given some stretches/exercise to do and told to initially cut way back on my walking/hiking for a bit. I'm also less than impressed with the $400 orthotics. I have found others a lot cheaper that seem to work as well or better. The orthotics are very plain/mundane. I don't see they are giving me much. Well they are better than the standard shoe inserts, but not much different. I think there are just as good or better over the counter options. Currently it is 99.5% gone. It's always that last < 1% I guess. In any event I am fully functional and don't even think about it anymore. For all intents and purposes it is healed. I'm still doing occasional followup to make sure the heel joint is working properly and get a few final laser/ultrasound treatments to try and get rid of the last little bit of scar tissue. The moral of the story. First don't wait until you've had the symptoms for a while. It only results in potentially more scar tissue to be undone. I was not impressed with the podiatrist approach. More of a treat the symptoms. No effort to get to the root cause of the problem (partially frozen heel joint). I guess sometimes this works for some people. It didn't for me. Luckily I realized this from the start he wasn't getting to the root cause of the problem and when it wasn't going anywhere tried something else. The chiropractor/other doctor were more interested in getting to the root of the problem and not just treating a symptom. Of course your mileage may vary, but I'd definitely advise that you understand the cause of the problem in your situation and treat that rather than just going down treating symptoms and hoping for the best. In my case that approach didn't work. I could have gone for the cortisone shot, which for a while probably would have helped, but without fixing the underlying problem it would have probably just come back and you can only get so many cortisone shots... Definitely would be a LAST resort for me (well I guess surgery would be the ultimate LAST resort). Again understand YOUR problem and it's cause before going down dead ends. If it is simply overuse (no underlying structural issue) than maybe the podiatrist approach works with rest. Everybody is looking for the instant cure, thus the allure of the shot I guess, which sometimes will work/knock it out. I am sure though in my case it would have only been temporary after finding the root cause of the problem.

Steve Erickson

Steve Erickson
PostFri Feb 26, 2016 2:36 pm 
Went through PF a number of years ago. Final cure for me was getting Orthodics and wearing them full time. Had a new injury come up slowly over a few years. Thought it was a bruise below my second toe but eventually the increase in pain caused me to go to a foot doctor last March. Turned out I had a tear in my plantar plate. Needed to have surgery but put it off until hiking season slowed and after Christmas. Now recovering and hope to be back to hiking in about 3-4 months. Long recovery time and they also had to shorten the toe.

meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostFri Feb 26, 2016 2:47 pm 
finally got my orthodics and have started on basic foot and calf stretch. It is the stair step on someone posted here previous. at the end of 4 days, I feel 50% better than when I started. I should be able to get back to my regular exercise routine shortly up.gif Would love to find a non-plush slipper that I can wear around the house. I know Vionic line is good but I do not need the warm fuzzy lining. suggestions?

JPH

JPH
PostFri Feb 26, 2016 3:03 pm 
I found a cheapish pair of light tennis shoes that had a comfy fit and put those elastic swirly shoelaces on them so they were easy-on, easy-off.