Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Plantar fasciitis question
Previous :: Next Topic  
Trail Angel

Trail Angel

PostTue Mar 01, 2016 2:45 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
How is backpacking with PF?
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph

PostTue Mar 01, 2016 7:37 pm 
Not sure about backpacking but I am likely to find out this summer. I had held off from playing basketball for 3 weeks, then played a couple of games 2 weeks ago and my heel hurt a LOT. So no more bball for a while if at all.

My PF has pretty much stabilized, still hurts but tolerable. I bought some heel pads from Freddys for about 8 bucks that are specifically for PF and they have helped some. They have 2 types in stock, I bought the non gel type.

--------------
Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Steve Erickson

Steve Erickson

PostWed Mar 02, 2016 3:31 pm 
In response to the question about how is backpacking with PF, it only hurt when I put the foot that had it on the ground.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up

Old Not Bold Hiker
PostWed Mar 02, 2016 4:00 pm 
Steve Erickson wrote:
In response to the question about how is backpacking with PF, it only hurt when I put the foot that had it on the ground.

That was my experience also.  As long as you could avoid using the PF foot while hiking, it was no problem.

--------------
friluftsliv
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108

Thundering Herd
PostThu Mar 03, 2016 10:04 am 
Trail Angel wrote:

I made the mistake of thinking extra padding might help - all it did was move my foot just enough in the boot to cause a huge blister to form where none had ever formed before.  I found that a very stiff boot kept the PF pain at bay.  But it sure hurt when I took the boots off and put on camp shoes.

I was shown a cool massage trick by an ultimate Frisbee "super star" who damaged both PF's at the same time and spent a lot of time in PT for it.  Basically use one thumb to mimic the proper positioning of the PF while releasing the tension on the ligament with the other hand by bending the toes forward.  Hold for 30 seconds, repeat as many times a day as you can.  Now whenever I feel even a slight twinge in my arch I immediately do this.  I have been PF free for about 4 years now after battling it off and on for about 10.

--------------
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing"  - Albert Einstein
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve

seeking hygge
PostThu Mar 03, 2016 11:45 am 
Trail Angel wrote:

It ranges from discomfort to crippling, usually somewhere in between.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph

PostWed Jan 18, 2017 3:51 am 
So, it's been nearly a year since the beginning of my Plantar Fasciitis problem and after giving up basketball and very limited hiking throughout the year, my problem is very nearly gone, with only occasional pain...interestingly, even when I simply think about playing basketball again my foot will begin to hurt, lol.

So, my question is, should I attempt to play basketball again and if so how far back might it set my recovery and-or should I give it more time? I am 55 and recently retired, and since June 1st have not been on my feet for 8 hrs per day as I was, my condition quickly improved during the 1st few months of retirement.

I know the easy answer is "No way!"...don't do it! Problem is I have always loved playing and also miss the exercise. Another concern is that it might set me back far enough to mess up my Summer hiking plans.

Please don't tell me to ask my Doctor, they don't know anything, lol.

--------------
Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Bernardo

Bernardo

PostWed Jan 18, 2017 7:32 am 
Everything in moderation is probably possible.  Be sensitive to the signals your body is sending.  Various tears might be a bigger concern.  You might be moving in ways and at speeds your body is not used to and that can lead to injuries.
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight

coated in DEET
PostWed Jan 18, 2017 7:50 am 
Can't address playing basketball.

Time to heal is really the only way.  I spent a lot of time swimming to keep in shape with PF.

I have switched to hiking/backpacking in low rise trail runners.  When you don't have a huge heel cushion you will develop a slightly different stride with less heel strike.  I also began use trekking poles most of the time as well, which slightly reduces leg stress.  I have had no further PF issues after making these changes.

--------------
“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...”  ― Henry David Thoreau
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve

seeking hygge
PostWed Jan 18, 2017 8:33 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
So, my question is, should I attempt to play basketball again and if so how far back might it set my recovery and-or should I give it more time?

Every case of PFitis is different, but the answer is usually "hell no." I can't think of worse footwear for PFitis than basketball shoes.
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph

PostWed Jan 18, 2017 11:43 am 
I was afraid of that. Problem is I have a problem with someone telling me I can't do something, not meaning you Steve or anyone in particular. I also miss the camaraderie of the guys, and if I go to hang out, I'll probably end up playing. Maybe I will simulate some basketball action and see what happens and maybe try stretching it a bit prior.

--------------
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper

Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Jan 18, 2017 1:27 pm 
What about off the shelf orthotics?

I've had better results with those than the $$$ doctor made ones.  Arch support is part of the "cure".

Now I need to go for a walk... up.gif

--------------
What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Hesman

Hesman

PostWed Jan 18, 2017 1:30 pm 
I'd say moderation. Go on a few short hikes first and see how your feet feel.

I had a bad case of PF about 10 years ago in my left foot. I lost a lot weight and it went away. Since then I have noticed that I walk differently because of the PF that I had. Before I had it I had a long stride, but now I have a much shorter stride that I use to have. My left hip has bothered me off and on (mostly rather tight muscles that loosen up with some streatching) since my PF went way and I sometimes wondered if the way I walked when I had PF caused some agrivation to my hip area. I will admit that because of the PF I had I haven't been as gungho about going hiking as I had been before getting PF. Probably because I thought it would come back from hiking on uneaven ground with a pack.

--------------
You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. - Dr. Seuss
williswall
seeking tailwind

williswall

seeking tailwind
PostWed Jan 18, 2017 1:44 pm 
Over 50: avoid percussive martial arts and basketball if you want to limit injury.

--------------
Don't be an Unmasked Mouth Juicer
williswall.com
Tom
Admin

Tom

Admin
PostWed Jan 18, 2017 2:54 pm 
Sounds about right.  Turned 50 last year.  Don't have PF but high arches have taken their toll.  Pranced around in flip flops with nary any issue less than 2 years ago.  As of late walking is only tolerable with custom orthotics.
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Plantar fasciitis question
  Happy Birthday heavenly day!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: