Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Plantar fasciitis question
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dante

Dante
PostTue Dec 08, 2020 6:23 pm 
I had it and recovered from it. I attribute that (1) to the help of a great physical therapist and (2) to following prescription for therapy religiously. BUT, the onset of my plantar fasciitis was the result of an identifiable trauma, so YMMV. My PT called it "traumatic" plantar fasciitis. My recovery took months.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kascadia

Kascadia
PostTue Dec 08, 2020 7:05 pm 
I had onset ~6 years ago, it was so bad that at work I was leaning on the wall hobbling down the hall....I bought Hoka One tennis shoes for work/everyday, a pair of Hoka hiking boots, and stopped walking barefoot on the ceramic tile floor at home. It finally cleared up after ~ 2 months. I kept hiking during that time, but it was painful. Now, there are occasional temporary niggling pains, but nothing remotely debilitating like the first episode. This is with hiking 3-4 times/week and the foot lets me know when the boots need to be replaced. Good luck, it can require some patience, ibuprofen is a miracle drug.

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Dec 09, 2020 6:26 am 
Hokas seem to work. I recommended them to friends who have the fascist plantars and the Hokas worked for them, also. I like the Bondis. They are not cheap though and it hurts the checkbook instead of the feet. I buy them from REI so at least get a $12 kickback.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostWed Dec 09, 2020 8:20 am 
timberghost wrote:
Has anyone's gotten better where they no longer have the problem?
There is a very good chance that you do not have to live with the pain. The challenge is that once you stop causing it, it takes a solid six weeks to get better. So there is no good way to be sure that you are no longer causing it because it still hurts. I do have a pair of Hokas that were prescribed by my doctor. But I also have a pair of Dr. Scholl's that work just fine. I think I discussed it earlier in the thread but the most likely source of your problem is one pair of shoes that are loading the plantar fascia, but unfortunately it doesn't hurt until the next morning. Figure out which shoes somehow, stop wearing them, and in six weeks the pain will be gone.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostWed Dec 09, 2020 9:06 am 
I dealt with PF for years. I tried ice, anti-inflamatories, injections, boots, socks, orthotics, etc. In my case I am convinced that is was that first step out of bed in the morning that caused re-injury and kept extending the problem. After a lot of trial and error I found that stretching the whole muscle structure toes/foot/calf/hamstring/back BEFORE even getting out of bed made a world of difference in how it felt throughout the day. The night time boots and socks work for some people but only if you can sleep wearing them and they only stretch the foot and lower leg, whereas, if you bend at the hip with a straight leg and pull your toes back you stretch everything in the path. It is a royal pain to do this every morning before getting out of bed but if you think of the pain those first steps are going to cause and know you can avoid it... Whatever you try make sure it is something that you can sustain because it takes persistence to get over it.

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostThu Dec 10, 2020 10:52 am 
Bowregard wrote:
I dealt with PF for years. I tried ice, anti-inflamatories, injections, boots, socks, orthotics, etc.
I did all these things as well. It took over a year for my first instance to heal. Basically it just went away, eventually. The second instance, on the other foot, came about when I was working with a guy who had torn both of his plantar fascia playing ultimate frisbee (or whatever it's called now). He showed me a stretch that he used in his recovery and it was like a miracle. Bend the toes down with one hand and put pressure against the arch of your foot with the thumb of the other hand. Try to mimic the natural arch. He said it was basically to train the fascia to go back into it's proper place. He said the KEY was to maintain that pressure for a minimum of 30 seconds, longer if possible. He said that the time element was what makes this work. It gives the tissue a chance to settle in with the new position. My PF went away about a month after starting this. Now if I feel even the slightest twinge I start doing this. I have not had a re-occurrence of PF in 6 years. I get minor twinges every now and then, but, I assume, that stretch stops it before it gets bad. My regular daily routine involves walking 6-8 miles a day, on my feet for several hours. And I hike quite a bit. I use superfeet high volume inserts.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostSat Dec 12, 2020 6:43 pm 
I use $20 inserts from Amazon and mine disappeared within a month. Went barefoot for a couple of weeks recovering from knee surgery and bazingo it was back. Started wearing my shoes again and it has mostly disappeared again