Forum Index > Trip Reports > Bald Mountain attempt - 2008/08/28
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Sep 07, 2009 2:20 am 
This is the Bald Mountain south of the mountain loop highway and north of Spada Lake. My mistake was hanging around Verlot campground too long enjoying coffee and breakfast on a very pleasant morning. I didn't start hiking until almost noon. Between the rough trails, bushwhacking and repeated ups and downs along the ridge I ran out of time. My route was to take the popular trail to Boardman Lake, the fisherman's trail to Island Lake, bushwhack up to the Bald Mountain trail, then follow that to the top. Even though this cuts off some of the mileage, it's still a big hike -- it took me 6 hours moving quickly with only a few brief rest stops to eat snacks. I'd allow 8 to provide time to reach the actual summit and take it a little easier. Island Lake is an exceptionally beautiful lake with a primo campsite on the north side. The Bald Mountain trail is overgrown, has frequent blow down, and is very hard to follow in places. On the way back I briefly lost it 4 or 5 times with plenty of light, and I'm good at following trails. This is not a trail one would want to navigate with a headlamp. I was surprised by how rugged the summit and south side of Bald Mountain is. I'm going to give it one more try when the Mallardy Ridge road is open again. Assuming no road walk, that route is shorter and passes through the reportedly gorgeous Cutthroat Lakes area.
Boardman Lake. My route was through the gap on the right.
Boardman Lake. My route was through the gap on the right.
The annoying rock that forces one to climb up 50 feet while traversing around Boardman Lake
The annoying rock that forces one to climb up 50 feet while traversing around Boardman Lake
Island Lake. There's a beautiful campsite where I'm standing
I could not find any trails continuing past Island Lake so I bushwhacked half a mile to connect with the Bald Mountain trail. This is looking back toward the scenic Island Lake
I could not find any trails continuing past Island Lake so I bushwhacked half a mile to connect with the Bald Mountain trail. This is looking back toward the scenic Island Lake
About 1-1/2 hours after hitting the Bald Mountain trail, I reached the point where it gets on top of the Bald Mountain ridge. The cliffs are already impressive.
About 1-1/2 hours after hitting the Bald Mountain trail, I reached the point where it gets on top of the Bald Mountain ridge. The cliffs are already impressive.
The trail was often indistinct, but these occasional yellow diamond trail markers were reassuring.
The trail was often indistinct, but these occasional yellow diamond trail markers were reassuring.
Bald Mountain attempt
Bald Mountain attempt
Summit of Bald Mountain. It looks hard from this side, but the guide book indicates a class 2/3 route from the other side.
Summit of Bald Mountain. It looks hard from this side, but the guide book indicates a class 2/3 route from the other side.
The Bald Mountain trail passes through several pleasant meadows, some with established campsites.
The Bald Mountain trail passes through several pleasant meadows, some with established campsites.
After my day on indistinct and non-existent trails, this last section from Boardman Lake looked like a freeway.
After my day on indistinct and non-existent trails, this last section from Boardman Lake looked like a freeway.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
camut

camut
PostMon Sep 07, 2009 6:48 am 
Bald Mt. is a short easy scramble from the other side.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostMon Sep 07, 2009 9:32 am 
Quote:
That rock ain't that bad. hockeygrin.gif
Quote:
**sigh** When i cleaned up i ran out of room...there should be two aluminum\plastic oars behind and to the left of that photo. Are they still there? Notice the notch chopped in the one of the two snags on the left. frown.gif At least they chose a dead tree.
Quote:
I was surprised by how rugged the summit and south side of Bald Mountain is. I'm going to give it one more try when the Mallardy Ridge road is open again. Assuming no road walk, that route is shorter and passes through the reportedly gorgeous Cutthroat Lakes area.
You may be in luck on that one soon.
Road closed
Road closed
Note the concrete blocks moved aside. I went for a little road walk on Saturday. The washed out bridge approaches are fully repaired!
How ever blow downs have only two the first switch back beyond the bridge. So it's still a long road walk just to reach the trail head. I don't understand why the road is still closed. Yea there are a lot of blow downs to clear, but that's standard issue just about every spring. confused.gif I sopped at Verlot to inquire...closed of course irked.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostMon Sep 07, 2009 10:07 am 
Fond memories. hockeygrin.gif My first ever bushwhack involved Island Lake and the Bald Mountain Trail.
Boardman Lake > Bald Mountain Trail > Island Lake > Boardman Lake
Boardman Lake > Bald Mountain Trail > Island Lake > Boardman Lake
island lake
island lake
I followed the fisherman's trail from Boardman, but missed the turn up the chute through the cliff to Island (it was less obvious, in those days). Continued on up the drainage east of Island, till I ran into an abandoned trail near the top of the ridge (original Bald Mountain route), and followed it till I ran into a maintained trail (it was, back then). I figured it had to be the Bald Mountain Trail, so I quartered back and forth on it till I figured out exactly where I was on the map, related that to where Island Lake was, and headed off downhill through the woods, hitting Island Lake spot on. biggrin.gif I was very proud of myself. Hulk must be some kind of mountain goat. I've been up and around that damn rock pier, every single trip to Island Lake (and there've been a bunch).

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostMon Sep 07, 2009 12:34 pm 
Just SW of Island Lake is a bump on the ridge around 4,200'. That bump actually consists of 2 separate high points. We visited both this summer via the west end of the Bald Mtn trail and a short/easy scramble. Alas, there were too many trees to get much of a view down to Island Lake, otherwise I would have posted a pic in the name-that-lake thread.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostMon Sep 07, 2009 12:42 pm 
Quote:
Hulk must be some kind of mountain goat. I've been up and around that damn rock pier, every single trip to Island Lake (and there've been a bunch).
paranoid.gif Ok...Ok...I admit that rock is a little imposing with a pack overflowing with trash. tongue.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Sep 07, 2009 10:53 pm 
Thanks for the info on the Mallardy road bridge, and possible access in the future. The oars were still there, leaning against a tree. If I had know they were trash I would have taken them out.