Forum Index > Trip Reports > Tour of Mont Blanc 8/19-31/09
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
silly_traveler
~ roaming ~

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~
PostWed Sep 09, 2009 12:07 am 
Tour of Mont Blanc - Hiking in the Alps - Part 1 of 2 Last October-ish we got thinking about going on another big trip, since it has been a year since our last big trip to Peru in 2007. We thought about going down to South America again, since it was so much fun last time. But since Scot's taking some classes, he is only available during the summer months. Hmmm.... something in the northern hemisphere, where to go dizzy.gif Tour of Mont Blanc's on my list of things to do, places to go, but the price of a guided tour in that part of the world shakehead.gif Well, after some research, we decided to go with a self-guided tour by Alpine Exploratory agree.gif It isn't cheap, but it isn't too expensive either, just somewhere in the middle, something we could live with hmmm.gif So basically they booked all our lodging for us, and gave us maps and instructions and answered all the questions we had agree.gif so self-guided, but organized. I highly recommend them if you are thinking about doing a trek in the UK or the alps, their service is most excellent! I must of wrote them 100+ e-mails and always got responses and answers the next day or two. Anyway, on with the trip report and pictures lol.gif So basically the complete loop is ~ 110 miles. We started in Les Houches in France, which is down the valley from Chamonix, and went counterclockwise. It took us 11 days plus 2 rest days to complete the circuit ~ nice leisurely pace, we're on vacation right? winksmile.gif The thing with the tour is that it is not so much the distance.... but the elevation gain and loss.... yikes, my legs got pretty sore after a few days! We flew with Air France, direct flight from Seattle to Paris, and then from Paris to Geneva. I arranged for a mini-van pick-up with Mountain Drop Offs. It's a shared mini-van service, and we waited 20 minutes or so for other parties to arrive and off we go to Chamonix. Dude dropped us off in front of our hotel
Hotel Richemond
Hotel Richemond
and we spent the rest of the day wandering around Chamonix.
Chamonix
Chamonix
Chamonix
Chamonix
Next morning we had a nice buffet breakfast at the hotel and then got a ride on the bus from Chamonix to Les Houches, about 10-15 minutes down the valley.
breakfast view
breakfast view
Day 1 on the TMB Les Houches to Les Contamines - 11.8 miles, 2920 ft ascent and 2591 ft descent Today we went from town to town and it was a good warm-up day, not too strenuous hockeygrin.gif
1st day
1st day
It took ~ 5.5 hrs including some small breaks. We found the hotel in Les Contamines, cute place agree.gif
hotel - Les Contamines
hotel - Les Contamines
church - Les Contamines
church - Les Contamines
Les Contamines
Les Contamines
Day 2 on the TMB Les Contamines to Les Chapieux - 13 miles, 4691 ft ascent and 3215 ft descent Hmmm.... lets just say it was a challenging day for me, lots of up and more up! The scenery was awesome though up.gif
2nd day
2nd day
Col du Bonhomme - Tour of Mont Blanc - France
Col du Bonhomme - Tour of Mont Blanc - France
We stopped for lunch at Refuge de la Croix du Bonhomme, after all the uphill was done smile.gif
Refuge de la Croix du Bohomme
Refuge de la Croix du Bohomme
After lunch it was down and more down to Les Chapieux shakehead.gif I hate downhill shakehead.gif
looking down at Les Chapieux
looking down at Les Chapieux
We spent ~ 8.5 hrs on the trail, including breaks and a nice long lunch. Les Chapieux is a small town, so the auberge cooked dinner for us! up.gif
auberge on 2nd night
auberge on 2nd night
room for boots
room for boots
Day 3 on the TMB Les Chapieux to Rifugio Elisabetta - 10 miles, 3428 ft ascent and 1443 ft descent An incredibly scenic day! cool.gif It started with a gentle road walk from Les Chapieux to the town up the valley - La Ville des Glaciers.
3rd day
3rd day
hiker at La Ville des Glaciers
hiker at La Ville des Glaciers
After that it was up, and more up to Col de la Seigne. We stayed awhile to enjoy views of the next valley complex and some lunch chow.gif Then crossed the invisible border to Italia! smile.gif bonjour to bongiorno dizzy.gif
Douglas at Col de la Seigne
Douglas at Col de la Seigne
The rest of the hike was all downhill to Rifugio Elisabetta ~ a lovely hut in a spectacular setting and the staff were really nice. We stayed in room #4 with a fantastic view out and down the valley. I really enjoyed the evening meal they prepared for us, salad, veggie soup, mashed potatoes, pork chops, and peaches.
"hut" on 3rd night
"hut" on 3rd night
view of tomorrow's route from Elisabetta
view of tomorrow's route from Elisabetta
We spent ~ 6.5 hrs on the trail, including breaks and lunch. Day 4 on the TMB Rifugio Elisabetta to Courmayeur - 10.5 miles, 1476 ft ascent and 4757 ft descent Another incredibly scenic day and not so much uphill biggrin.gif but LOTS of downhill rant.gif First part was going downhill to Lac Combal, a relaxing walk. We took it slow and stopped many times for picutres.
outside Rifugio Elisabetta
outside Rifugio Elisabetta
Elisabetta
Elisabetta
TMB trail marker
TMB trail marker
Elisabetta
Elisabetta
hiker on trail 8/24/09
hiker on trail 8/24/09
After the lake the trail goes up to the high point of the day - N ridge of Mont Favre.
Scot on trail
Scot on trail
Italian cows
Italian cows
Tour of Mont Blanc - Italy
Tour of Mont Blanc - Italy
N ridge of Mont Favre
N ridge of Mont Favre
Then down, and more down....
trail
trail
We stopped at this place for lunch, spaghetti and cokes, before the really steep crap down to Courmayeur. I thought about taking the cable car hmmm.gif but didn't.
lunch at Maison Vieille
lunch at Maison Vieille
TMB trail marker
TMB trail marker
Soon enough we got to our hotel in Courmayeur, and this place is nice - unlimited amount of hot water and a balcony with a decent view up.gif and the owners are so friendly. They also have an excellent buffet breakfast!
hotel on 4th night
hotel on 4th night
view from hotel room
view from hotel room
breakfast at Hotel Bouton'dor
breakfast at Hotel Bouton'dor
Courmayeur
Courmayeur
Time on trail ~ 8 hrs After 4 days of hiking we had a rest day in Courmayeur and spent it at this Italian spa 5 km outside of Courmayeur http://www.termedipre.it/ Day 5 on the TMB Courmayeur to Rifugio Bonatti - 7.5 miles, 3000 ft ascent and not sure about the descent.... We got a late start today and didn't get out of the hotel till 10am. The trail starts behind the church in Courmayeur, a gentle road walk, and then all the elevation gain is going up to Rifugio Bertone. We stopped there awhile and got some cokes. Then we picked the Armina route to Rifugio Bonatti, which is a balcony path that skirts on hillsides and is fairly scenic. The recommended path is one that gains 5640 ft.... ouch! It goes higher up on the ridge and has better views.
beginning of 5th day
beginning of 5th day
TMB trail marker
TMB trail marker
It took us 5.5 hrs to get to Bonatti, including lunch and breaks. This was one of the easier days and I really enjoyed it. R. Bonatti is really nice, looks out to this huge glacier and is fairly new, looks more like a hotel than hut! They served dinner at 7:15pm and we sat with two English women - Carole and Christine, an older French guy - Jacques, a Swiss couple, and 3 guys from the states (one of them from Seattle)! We had veggie soup, potatoes, this chicken/veggie pot pie thing, and pudding for dessert ~ all really delicious! up.gif
Rifugio Bonatti
Rifugio Bonatti
It rained hard overnight and a bit of thunder too! uhoh.gif Tomorrow we will cross into Switzerland smile.gif Day 6 on the TMB Rifugio Bonatti to La Fouly - 11.8 miles, 3182 ft ascent and 4593 ft descent Got up at 6:30am and went to breakfast at 7am ~ typical hut breakfast consists of cereals, yogurts, milk, fruits, bread, jams, coffee and tea. We got on the trail at 8am and it was really cloudy, but no rain. We took our time and lolly-gagged around the rolling hillsides. It rained a bit before we reached Rifugio Elena, but not too bad. We bought two ham and cheese sandwiches to take up to the Grand Col Ferret to enjoy. Big hill to walk up before the pass.... and no views today. We ate the sandwiches quickly and put on layers and crossed the invisible border into Switzerland! cool.gif The weather improved a bit on the Swiss side. Jacques the French guy caught up to us and he hiked with Scot down to the cafe at La Peule. We sat awhile and he bought us drinks, nice guy. Then the German guy on a week long biking holiday that we met at R. Bonatti last night showed up and sat with us awhile too. Time on trail ~ 8 hrs, including breaks, once for coffee, then lunch, then another liquid break at the cafe.
6th day
6th day
Cafe at La Peule
Cafe at La Peule
We got a room with a balcony that looks out to some glacier at the hotel in La Fouly, it was awesome!
hotel on 6th night
hotel on 6th night
Tour of Mont Blanc - Switzerland
Tour of Mont Blanc - Switzerland
Dinner at 7pm and we sat with the English women from the previous night, Carole and Christine. They are hilarious, especially Carole, she's kind of crazy but in a good way. We had a simple salad with smoked salmon, some kind of rice cream soup, and curry chicken with rice, and tiramisu for dessert. Yum, yum, yum! Jacques joined us for drinks after dinner, it was a fun evening and we talked about hikes and travels. It gave me more ideas on hikes to do.... places to go.... the list just keeps getting longer! agree.gif shakehead.gif Day 7 on the TMB La Fouly to Lac Champex - 9.6 miles, 1476 ft ascent and 1870 ft descent It was an easy day, a bit of downhill from La Fouly to Issert and from there a bit of uphill to Lac Champex. Time on trail ~ 5 hrs smile.gif
TMB trail marker
TMB trail marker
7th day
7th day
Lac Champex
Lac Champex
hotel on 7th night
hotel on 7th night
view from a cafe in Champex
view from a cafe in Champex
Day 8 on the TMB Lac Champex to Trient - 11.5 miles, 1443 ft ascent and 2887 ft descent Good breakfast this morning, variety of cheeses and meats. We're once again the last group out ~ on the trail at 9am. It was a bit of country road walk, then uphill to this place called the Alp Bovine where we stopped for lunch (cheese omelette and cokes). There were lots of blueberries on the way to Bovine and I was falling behind picking and eating berries. They weren't ready yet, not the sweetest, but still nice. After blueberry heaven it was all downhill to Trient. Time on trail ~ 6 hrs
8th day
8th day
hotel on 8th night
hotel on 8th night
view from hotel in Trient
view from hotel in Trient
We had dinner with Carole and Christine again, Jacques was also at our table and a British couple, Bryan and Ann. We had a really good dinner, salad and soup, rice with veggies and pork and tomato fondue chow.gif
dinner in Trient
dinner in Trient
Day 9 on the TMB Trient to Argentiere - 9.3 miles, 3608 ft ascent and 3805 ft descent We said goodbyes wave.gif Carole and Christine are heading to Lac Blanc today and Jacques is trying for that destination also. And we are heading to Argentiere for a rest day cool.gif Up and more up from Trient to Col de Balme! We got on the wrong trail today but ended up at the right place hockeygrin.gif They taped the trail with red ribbon things for the Mont Blanc ultra trail marathon this weekend.... and we just followed the ribbons and didn't read the routecard very carefully embarassedlaugh.gif anyway, ended up at Col de Balme eventually dizzy.gif and got some lunch at the cafe - Refuge du Col de Balme, which is a really pretty spot.
TMB trail marker
TMB trail marker
Scot on trail
Scot on trail
9th day
9th day
After lunch we had another hill to walk up.... to Aiguillette des Posettes hmmm.gif nice views from up there, worth the huffin' and puffin' I suppose.
Douglas at Aiguillette des Posettes
Douglas at Aiguillette des Posettes
TMB trail marker
TMB trail marker
Then down, and more down to Argentiere, which is a mile or so off the main TMB route. We stayed at the Hotel les Grands Montets, a really nice place with a hot tub and view of Mont Blanc up.gif
hotel in Argentiere
hotel in Argentiere
Day 10 on the TMB Argentiere to La Flegere - 6.2 miles, 3740 ft ascent and 1673 ft descent OK, so all the elevation gain is in the first 3 miles shakehead.gif big hill up to Lac Blanc and some ladders too eek.gif
10th day
10th day
ladders
ladders
ultra trail runners
ultra trail runners
TMB trail marker
TMB trail marker
Scot on trail
Scot on trail
The lake is well worth it though....
lake below Lac Blanc
lake below Lac Blanc
Lac Blanc
Lac Blanc
Lac Blanc
Lac Blanc
We stayed for 3 hours and I took a nap up.gif love naps agree.gif
Lac Blanc - Tour of Mont Blanc - France
Lac Blanc - Tour of Mont Blanc - France
Then a couple of miles down to Refuge de la Flegere hmmm.gif We stayed at Lac Blanc till 6pm or so and then ran down the trail to catch the dinner bell at 7pm lol.gif made it in time up.gif We sat with a couple of German guys for dinner.
on the way to Refuge de la Flegere
on the way to Refuge de la Flegere
outside Refuge de la Flegere
outside Refuge de la Flegere
TMB trail marker
TMB trail marker
"hut" on 10th night
"hut" on 10th night
Day 11 on the TMB La Flegere to Les Houches - 9.6 miles, 2362 ft ascent and 5150 ft descent Our last day on the TMB frown.gif Awesome views of Mont Blanc today, almost the whole way from La Flegere to the high point of day at Le Brevent. It took 3 hrs to get up there and I got pretty tired after all that uphill. There is a cable car at Brevent and I thought about taking that all the way down to Chamonix hmmm.gif but decided to try to complete the loop instead.
11th day
11th day
There's a panoramic restaurant at Brevent and we stopped there for some lunch.
lunch at Brevent
lunch at Brevent
Then the unbelievable 5000+ ft downhill to Les Houches rant.gif rant.gif rant.gif We met up with the German guys from dinner last night and hiked the rest of the way with them.
Scot and the German guys
Scot and the German guys
Hours later we finally arrived in front of the Tourist Information Center in Les Houches, back to where we started hairy.gif
back to the starting point in Les Houches
back to the starting point in Les Houches
Awesome experience, incredible scenery, and really friendly people! There are many variations of this trip, shorter, longer, and/or higher. It's fun to wander around the alps and to experience three different countries in one trip. I didn't expect it to be so beau-ti-ful smile.gif

♫ You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. And you're the one who will decide where you'll go. Oh the places you'll go. - Dr. Seuss
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ingunn
Hiking Viking

Ingunn
Hiking Viking
PostWed Sep 09, 2009 12:31 am 
slobber.gif This looks even better than I thought it would, you always go to the best places! Looking forward to parts 2 and 3.

TrailPair

TrailPair
PostWed Sep 09, 2009 6:27 am 
Stunning scenery! The villages look like Leavenworth hmmm.gif

This thing called work is interfering with my play
marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostWed Sep 09, 2009 6:31 am 
Great pictures - you had some nice weather also. Doesn't look too crowded. August is the busy time in the Alps. I'm looking forward to reading the next parts.

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostWed Sep 09, 2009 10:40 am 
I have been SOOOO looking forward to your report and I'm so glad you had such a great time! agree.gif The hiking there is so civilized and spectacular at the same time. And I'm seeing mostly blue skies in those pics...lucky you! cool.gif Can't wait for part 2!

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
ASBrauer
Nerd

ASBrauer
Nerd
PostWed Sep 09, 2009 10:48 am 
Ingunn wrote:
slobber.gif......... Looking forward to parts 2 and 3.
ditto.gif up.gif up.gif What kind of pack do you carry for such a trip?

twodogdad

twodogdad
PostWed Sep 09, 2009 11:54 am 
The Richemond, hey? You should change your name to Stylish Traveller up.gif ASB: the beauty of the TNB is that you don't have to carry anything, practically, even you if choose to sleep at huts and hostels only: linen is included in the hut charge and they provide decent food. You're not allowed camp out in the "wilderness" anyway, except near a hut. (A sleeping sack is all I'd carry, and one can save $$$ by buying food at the grocery stores in the villages along the way.) tdd

Tazz

Tazz
PostWed Sep 09, 2009 11:56 am 
world traveler you are!!! I LOVE it!!! chickenleg.gif keep em coming!!

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~
PostWed Sep 09, 2009 2:00 pm 
I was going write three parts to this TMB thing but decided to put it all in one dizzy.gif hope to finish it tonight agree.gif Part 2 will be day hikes around the Matterhorn agree.gif Well, my pack turned out to be ~ 20 pounds.... too heavy in my opinion, after a couple of days I was throwing out lotion and things biggrin.gif
TrailPair wrote:
The villages look like Leavenworth hmmm.gif
lol.gif that's what we said too lol.gif

♫ You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. And you're the one who will decide where you'll go. Oh the places you'll go. - Dr. Seuss
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostWed Sep 09, 2009 2:43 pm 
Oh my. smile.gif
Chamonix
Chamonix
hiker on trail 8/24/09
hiker on trail 8/24/09
. . Is it an altitude thing? The Alps have grass on slopes where we have slide alder?

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
BadDog

BadDog
PostWed Sep 09, 2009 3:42 pm 
Do you have any close-ups of the cows? With bells on? I bet the food was fabulous. What a wonderful trip. And please, more pictures of the cows! embarassedlaugh.gif

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~
PostThu Sep 10, 2009 12:23 am 
OK, all done! smile.gif Hope you guys enjoy the pictures. I took a video camera also, but need to figure out how to download this thing.... all new to me dizzy.gif
BadDog wrote:
Do you have any close-ups of the cows? With bells on? I bet the food was fabulous. What a wonderful trip. And please, more pictures of the cows! embarassedlaugh.gif
No close-ups of the cows. All of them have bells agree.gif they are really loud huh.gif and the sheep have bells too. Food was pretty good, lots of cheese agree.gif

Ingunn
Hiking Viking

Ingunn
Hiking Viking
PostThu Sep 10, 2009 9:13 am 
Oh, that lake is amazing. Thanks for the beautiful photos, s_t! So, what's your next big trip? hockeygrin.gif

GeoTom

GeoTom
PostThu Sep 10, 2009 9:16 am 
I hate you silly_t. rant.gif Ok, not really. Thanks for sharing your trip. Douglas appeared to be enjoying himself, but what happened to Jake? hmmm.gif

Knows literally nothing
BadDog

BadDog
PostThu Sep 10, 2009 11:44 am 
This such an awesome trip report!! Do you have a list of the places you stayed at and their contact info-I'd love to get that info. Is it too late to pop over there in late September or do you think the huts are all closed down by then.