Forum Index > Trip Reports > Granite Mountain and the magic iPhone - VIDEO ADDED
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)
PostMon Sep 21, 2009 8:35 pm 
So I got motivated to get up and out for Dawn Patrol on Monday. Alarm went off at 3:20 am like a klaxon. I was at the trail head on exit 47 by 4:30. As I got ready to depart I realized that I'd forgot to grab a headlight. I almost decided to bail and sleep in the car until sunrise and then head into work, but I figured I'd give the iPhone a try. Thanks to the very cool infrared app, I switch the phone into video mode and put it on the special infrared setting. By watching the screen I could clearly see the faint green outline of the trail..... Just kidding. hockeygrin.gif But I did use the illumination from the screen and its small illumination of 2 feet to stumble along the trail without too much trouble. Switchbacks were interesting as I'd usually end up stumbling into the hillside and have to turn around and catch the trail again. I was worried about missing the Pratt Lake / Granite Mountain split, but luckily it was obvious. Finally around 5:45 as I exited the tree line and the wind picked up I was able to make out the trail in the morning twilight. As I started up the ridge line toward the lookout the dawn rolled out behind me as the fog poured over the pass. I scrambled up the boulders on the ridge line to the summit. I beat the sun up. Played around taking photos of the various vantage points and then ran down the trail to the car and was into work by 9am. Great way to start the day. Video : Route (notice how the magic iPhone got confused on the way down) Couple of pics I've processed so far :
The Line
The Line
Guten Morgen
Guten Morgen
Up
Up
Lookout Sunrise
Lookout Sunrise

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostMon Sep 21, 2009 9:21 pm 
love the 'Up' photo up.gif yikes...3:20am alarm! god doesn't even get up that early embarassedlaugh.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostMon Sep 21, 2009 9:45 pm 
Um...most of us have to huff-n-puff up the trail but you seem to have mastered the secret of just wishing yourself up-up-and-away. Care to share that secret? PM me so the rest of the world don't find out.

Gabigabs
Trail Breaker

Gabigabs
Trail Breaker
PostMon Sep 21, 2009 10:07 pm 
Great pics. I was up there yesterday and even though we had great hike, your morning shots make me so jealous. Wish I could get up at 3:00 a.m., hike a mountain and still be at work on time.

Life is simple... Eat, Sleep, Hike!
stacymarie

stacymarie
PostTue Sep 22, 2009 4:25 pm 
I got down the old trail at Si with a Nokia after forgetting my headlamp, so good on ya smile.gif the lookout sunrise shot is so beautiful! Great job, you are a new flickr friend that's for sure smile.gif

life is short, but sweet for certain my website: www.lostintheecotone.com
pimaCanyon

pimaCanyon
PostTue Sep 22, 2009 6:55 pm 
very cool! That time of day is the best time to be out there. Great pix too!

It's never too late to have a happy childhood
Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostTue Sep 22, 2009 6:57 pm 
Nice pics. I could totally get up that early but I would probably fall off a cliff, I can't see during the day and trip on the trail.

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)
PostTue Sep 22, 2009 10:59 pm 
(I added a video on the original post) I've found that once I am up that there is little difference between being awake at 3:30 and 7:30, but its that first getting up that can be hard. Especially when there is no compelling companionship, but then being an early riser negates that is hard. Some mornings with no one to meet despite my best intentions I turn the alarm off and go back to bed. I do get energy from knowing there will be a great sunrise or from wanting to get out and shoot some photos. As for wishing my way up... one of the reasons I don't include the sound from my videos is that I am huffing and puffing just like everyone else, I just huff and puff a little faster. wink.gif I should also clarify none of these photos were taken with my iPhone it only lighted my way and recorded my track (with the GPS app). Couple more pics :
Lookout Sunrise
Lookout Sunrise
The Other Side
The Other Side
Goodmorning Sun
Goodmorning Sun
Ahh Rainier
Ahh Rainier

DRSpalding
Probably riding MTB

DRSpalding
Probably riding MTB
PostWed Sep 23, 2009 10:36 am 
Joey wrote:
Um...most of us have to huff-n-puff up the trail but you seem to have mastered the secret of just wishing yourself up-up-and-away. Care to share that secret? PM me so the rest of the world don't find out.
Spilling the beans...there's an iPhone app for that.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostWed Sep 23, 2009 11:23 am 
Quote:
Alarm went off at 3:20 am like a klaxon
dizzy.gif That's about what time i go to bed lol.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential