Forum Index > Trip Reports > Winchester Pk (or is it Mtn?)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Sep 22, 2009 9:40 pm 
Winchester Pk (or is it Mtn?)- the lookout peak in the Mt Baker area offa Twin Lakes Road, which, by the way, is in excellent condition, driveable by probably any vehicle. We parked at YAB trailhead & walked 'cause we were told by someone that the day before, they couldn't make it to the trailhead. Can't figure out where that bit of communication went awry..... rolleyes.gif Anyway, it was foggy as hell, no views - so this trip report ain't too long. I took tons of photos hoping to get a few to convey the feeling this pretty place gave me, I won't allow the camera to barf up every damn photo I took and so am posting just a few. I didn't get a photo of the lookout. I'm such a dumbass. Imagine a little white cabin with flip-out shutters and lots of windows. Not on a tower, it's just sitting there. It got windy as hell, and shivering cold. Rain here and there, but nothing to get all worked up about. Personally, I loved it.
Fog and trees1
Fog and trees1
Hellibore in fall1
Hellibore in fall1
Hellibore in fall2
Hellibore in fall2
Hemlocks at Twins Lakes
Hemlocks at Twins Lakes
Hikers, fog and orange vein in rock
Hikers, fog and orange vein in rock
anenomae & rock
anenomae & rock
anenome after the rain
anenome after the rain
The next day we wandered around Huntoon Pt near Artists' Pt. Glorious cloudscapes!
Clouds and hill
Clouds and hill
Snag and moraine
Snag and moraine
Baker and clouds and entourage
Baker and clouds and entourage
Shuksan made an appearance as we were leaving. I preferred it partially obscured in clouds.
Shuksan
Shuksan
Hikers at Huntoon Pt
Hikers at Huntoon Pt

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostTue Sep 22, 2009 9:47 pm 
I have always heard that road was high clearance. Did they actually fix it? Nice pictures, even if they are fake. BTW, Winchester Mountain dude.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Sep 22, 2009 9:57 pm 
Thanks, dude. I didn't pay much attention to what the heck we were doing, so didn't consult a map more than once, and that was to fold it up and kill a bug at the trailhead. It looks like the repairs on the road are pretty new. It's a steeep sucka! If a vehicle can't make it at this time, it's because it's gutless; clearance shouldn't be an issue - at this time.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostTue Sep 22, 2009 10:09 pm 
Magellan wrote:
I have always heard that road was high clearance. Did they actually fix it?
It was re-graded in August, but don't tell anyone. Oh wait, based on the bazillion people parked and camped at twin lakes when we did Larrabee/ABP, I think the word is out. Yana's Geo Prizm made it.

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Sep 22, 2009 10:16 pm 
I thought someone's car got whacked on that road recently. Must be another road..... I knew someone was up there last week or so, but I've been too lazy to look up any trip reports. I was just along for the ride on this trip; didn't matter where we went.

dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostTue Sep 22, 2009 10:27 pm 
You might be thinking about Franklin's car, which is mentioned in the beginning of this trip report, but that happened at the beginning of the road. frown.gif

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostTue Sep 22, 2009 10:42 pm 
I don't think the USFS actually grades that road because they want- or at least wanted in the past- to kill it at the YAB TH. I believe the miners are the ones responsible for grading it and certainly at some points in the past it has been not so bad and at other times it required high clearance and perhaps 4WD.

dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostTue Sep 22, 2009 10:50 pm 
Yes, I was told (by the graders) that it was the miners who were responsible for having the road fixed up.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Sep 22, 2009 11:39 pm 
Hmm - sounds like time to add that hike to this fall's dance card. Who knows how long it will take for the road to return to its former glory. I like the Clouds and Hill shot. Can't get that kind of view on a bluebird day, eh? But if you haven't been on Winchester on a clear day, do go back someday. Hellebore in Fall 1 and Snags and Moraine are keepers too!

jd_hiker

jd_hiker
PostTue Sep 22, 2009 11:39 pm 
I was up there yesterday with no problems. Yes it was the miners as they were running trucks up there most of yesterday. Spent so time talking to them about opening up the gate so I could get closer to point 6508. Amazing what a difference a day makes as it was clear when I was up there. But the picture of Baker in the clouds is great. up.gif

I have 11 essentials, the 10 plus an extra camera battery. http://www.flickr.com/photos/jd_hiker/ http://jdhascup.wordpress.com http://jdhascup.500px.com
Jeff R
Closet hiker.

Jeff R
Closet hiker.
PostWed Sep 23, 2009 12:24 am 
Those sure are some purty pictures Kimmy! Neato. Thankz.

Ebrace life!
Dogpatch

Dogpatch
PostWed Sep 23, 2009 8:42 am 
Nice trip and nice pics! Glad to hear it rained a little bit for you. Re: the road. We wandered on down to the Lone Jack Mine last summer and spent awhile talking to the miners. They're not only maintaining the road, they're also taking care of the campground at Twin Lakes. up.gif

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." – Groucho Marx
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Sep 23, 2009 8:42 am 
joker wrote:
Snags and Moraine are keepers too!
Yay, thanks, joker! That photo was an experiment. My buddy was trying to teach me how to get foreground and background all in good focus on my DSLR - looks like it worked. Normally a shot like that would get me all confused and I'd just pass it by, wishing I could get it. Re the road - each 10 years there's a new agreement drawn up between the miners and the Forest Service regarding that road; it was up for renewal this year; looks like it went. up.gif

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Sep 23, 2009 8:54 am 
Three cheers for those miners! up.gif Kim - was it the "focus a third of the way from nearest to furthest points of interest and stop down" tip, or something else? Whatever the case, it worked, and you chose a good time to use it!

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Sep 23, 2009 9:01 am 
Yessir, that was the tip. He tried to teach me a bunch of other stuff too, about lighting on the clouds, but I have the attention span of a cat sometimes, so we'll have to start all over with that.