Forum Index > Trip Reports > Switzerland - Bernese Oberland area - 8.30.2009 - 9.10.2009
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostSat Oct 01, 2011 12:08 pm 
Tigerotor77W wrote:
Reviving a thread from the two-year dead, just in case anyone else ever has the same question. How technical and strenuous is the hike from Pfingstegg to Shreckhornhütte? Is it just steep, or does it require route-finding and snow navigation? Another way to pose this is, would I need crampons or hiking poles for this? I currently have neither and prefer not to find out the hard way that I'm unprepared. :-D
I always use hiking poles, but I saw people doing the hike without them. There was no snow when I did the hike in early September... and probably wouldn't do this hike if there was snow on the trail. If I did this hike in snow, I would definitely have crampons with me. There are a few steep places on the trail where you will use ladders and chains (look at my photos) to negotiate the terrain... I would call the hike strenuous (1000 feet of elevation gain per mile).

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W
PostSat Oct 01, 2011 12:50 pm 
ragman and rodman wrote:
I always use hiking poles, but I saw people doing the hike without them. There was no snow when I did the hike in early September... and probably wouldn't do this hike if there was snow on the trail. If I did this hike in snow, I would definitely have crampons with me. There are a few steep places on the trail where you will use ladders and chains (look at my photos) to negotiate the terrain... I would call the hike strenuous (1000 feet of elevation gain per mile).
Thanks for the reply -- just in time, as I was planning to this hike tomorrow! But... Hiking poles would have helped my knees today -- I ventured up the Pfingstegg cable car but my right knee relapsed into its odd, slight pain when loading *and* unloading state. (This never happened in the years I've been hiking, which admittedly is not many, and has only happened with my right knee.) Next step is mild pain when loading and unloading. I'll see if I feel any better tomorrow; if so; I'll give it a whirl. If not, I'll ride trains all day to make the most of my Regional Pass. :-D Definitely a letdown if I can't do it, though, as it sounds spectacular. My rating scale for strenuous is the same as yours, apparently, and this would have been a solid item on my to-do list tomorrow.

Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W
PostMon Oct 03, 2011 2:41 pm 
The knee mostly made it to Bäregg, but I was running out of time and I also didn't want to risk putting another 2 hours of hard vertical ascent on it, so I called it quits at Bäregg and turned around after lunch. Oddly enough, while I felt pain going down, the knee never once acted up on my "sprint" from Kleine Scheidegg to Wengen. I had done this hike a few weeks ago with a friend with no pain, but in that case we took about 1h30 minutes to hike down -- yesterday, I made the descent (without actually running -- it was just fast walking) in about 55 minutes. How I did that without aggravating the knee, when it was bothering me for the Bäregg hike (which I took slower on the descent), I don't know. TR to follow in a few days. Thanks for the info, even though I wasn't able to fully use it. (I did give it a go, so it wasn't a waste at all.) Hopefully someone else can pick up on it for his/her trip to Switzerland next time!