Forum Index > Trip Reports > Enchantments Trail Run + Little Annapurna - 22 August 2011
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
sospeso

sospeso
PostSat Aug 27, 2011 1:05 am 
Having always wanted to get up into the Enchantments and never enough time to do it, I took inspiration from some guys who did it a couple years back as a trail run: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7969748&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 With a limited time window for the week of 21 Aug (I live in Manhattan and come out for a bit in the summers), I managed to hook up with five10 (Eric) on the partners page and he got two friends of his, Adam and John to join us. The plan was to ditch two bikes at the Snow Lakes TH, drive up to and enter at the Stuart Lake TH, go up Asgaard, tag Little Annapurna and out the Snow Lakes TH and then bike back to Stuart Lakes and drive back to Snow Lakes to pick up the luck two who would wait for the van. Not sure about total mileage for the run, I’ve heard it be somewhere between 17-19 plus another mile or so for Little Annapurna in addition to over 5000 ft of gain. Definitely a tough day, but doable if one is used to long trail runs. Evidently no one though too hard about the elevation gain between Snow Lakes and Stuart Lake (ca 2100 ft) or the mileage, (ca 8 miles). I take full responsibility for that having organized the trip but more on that later. To call it a trail run is a misnomer. Well over half of the route is not runnable although Adam and John (aka Goat 1 and Goat 2, because of their uncanny ability to run up steep slopes like mountain goats) made fine efforts to run up just about every slope. I knew I was totally out of my league within in the first mile. Fortunately they were kind enough to stop and wait for me to catch up at points along the way. The times I estimate are my times, Adam and John made it there much faster but this should give you a sense of our times. We started at about 8:45 AM and made it to the base of Asgaard in about 1 hr 40 from the TH. Asgaard took about 1 hr 30 and then from Asgaard to the top of Little Annapurna in about an hour. No major complications. Still some snow up in the basin and one steep snow field to cross to get up to Little Anna, but other than it was a great mix of running, hiking, scrambling, glissading and plunge stepping. The parts we ran were: several miles of the Stuart Lake trail (lower elevations), around Colchuck Lake, then sporadically past Little Anna to Leprechaun Lake, and then from Snows Lakes to the Snow Lakes TH. The rest was either too steep going up, too snowy in the basin or too rocky or steep going down. Our total time was about 9.5 hrs which included numerous backtrackings, breaks for water refilling, delays because of route finding. I ran with Eric most of the way because he was more my speed but I always felt I was slowing him down. But he stuck with me as it was best for us to stay in twos with The Goats often way ahead of us. The Goats even had time to take detours and quick swims and still managed to catch up to us. Early in the run it was clear that Adam and John would be arriving first at Snow Lakes TH would have to subsequently go back to get John’s van. I definitely felt guilty about this and it weighed on me the whole trip. So as Eric and I waited at the Snow Lakes TR and started to rehash the run we were a bit pleased with ourselves that we actually had to wait from them to arrive which meant that we hadn’t finished too far behind them. Shortly after, they came back in the van and looked fresh and not too pissed off. When we inquired about the trek back up to get the van, John said that he planned on RUNNING the 8 miles and 2100 ft of gain to get his van but was picked up by an obliging man and his family about 100 yards out of the parking lot who were actually going to the Stuart Lake TH. Sometimes things just work out. Weather was perfect. Breezes in the basin but completely still on top of Little Anna. It only got hot on those interminable switchbacks going down to the Snow Lakes TH. As for gear I took: 2L bladder, iodine tabs, Hammer gels, glucose tablets, electrolyte capsules, small bags of almonds and beef jerky, gortex jacket, emergency blanket (mylar), map, compass, cell phone (I have Verizon and got reception all throughout the basin), headlamp, emergency glucagon shot and blood test kit (I am Type 1 Diabetic) all in a 22L Osprey Talon. I wore shorts, shirt and trail runners. I wouldn’t take any more or less but a lighter jacket and smaller pack would have cut down on the weight. I’ll include a few pictures but there’s nothing that hasn’t already been recorded photographically that I can add much to. It’s truly an awesome place that no picture can do justice to. It must be experienced. Thank you to Eric, John and Adam for running with me, the slow poke. You guys were awesome!!! And lastly to the completely naked woman that we ran by at Nada Lake, thank you for saying hello to us! You were an inspiration to Eric and me for those last grueling 5 miles!
The crew: Adam, Eric, John and Kirk (sospeso)
The crew: Adam, Eric, John and Kirk (sospeso)
Asgaard illuminated
Asgaard illuminated
Upper basin and Little Anna
Upper basin and Little Anna
atop Little Anna
atop Little Anna
goat butt
goat butt
Little Anna, the snow field to cross is in the upper left
Little Anna, the snow field to cross is in the upper left
cliche but classic
cliche but classic
mountain fresh
mountain fresh

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Aug 27, 2011 1:08 am 
mountain fresh
mountain fresh
Nice waterfall pic! I would like to check that area out sometime, preferably when there is less snow.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)
PostSat Aug 27, 2011 5:02 pm 
Great job! And good inspiration....

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSat Aug 27, 2011 10:32 pm 
sospeso wrote:
And lastly to the completely naked woman that we ran by at Nada Lake, thank you for saying hello to us! You were an inspiration to Eric and me for those last grueling 5 miles!
Serious? That would have slowed me down. biggrin.gif

sospeso

sospeso
PostSat Aug 27, 2011 11:24 pm 
We didn't want to overstay our welcome...

five10

five10
PostMon Aug 29, 2011 12:56 pm 
Nice report and pictures. Thanks for putting that together. Can you edit "completely naked woman" to "male ranger handing out pamphlets" so I can show the report to my wife. Just kidding. She thought that part was funny. That was a cool trip. Everything came together well. We couldn't ask for better weather and we had a good group. Let's plan more adventures next time you're out here.

Phil

Phil
PostTue Aug 30, 2011 7:41 am 
Sounds like fun. How did you feel at the end, pretty mashed up? I know I would.....

five10

five10
PostTue Aug 30, 2011 1:00 pm 
A little bad. A few nice blisters. I thought my feet would get wet because of the snow, but that wasn't a problem. They got damp but dried quickly. I think the blisters were mostly due to the steep descents. My right foot was worse than my left. I wonder if I lead with that one on the steep steps, especially right after Vivianne Lake. Maybe I need to get tighter shoes, too.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Aug 30, 2011 2:37 pm 
up.gif Sounds like a fun day. Getting a ride back to SL TH has never been a problem. We do the Chants thru hike-run as an annual event, always during larch season. Going for number 7 this fall.

sospeso

sospeso
PostTue Aug 30, 2011 3:39 pm 
I turned my ankle pretty bad in the lower basin and then twice more lower down. I was reduced to a hobble and slow shuffle by the last 6 miles or so. I know I would have finished faster if I hadn't been so concerned about landing on it wrong. Each misstep resulted in excruciating pain. Aside from that I was pretty good. I was tired but not completely wasted. the normal aches, pains and scratches, but I was pretty sore the next day. Another in our party looks like he might have to have minor surgery on his hip. He was bombing down the trail and slipped and fell right on his hip. I think an appropriate amount of pain and suffering goes with territory, but hopefully nothing permanent.

U2Kent

U2Kent
PostFri Sep 02, 2011 9:49 am 
When does Larch season usually start and what can you expect for temperatures come early/mid october? I'm hoping to get a backpacking trip in this fall but the calendar doesn't look to be allowing for it in September, just wondering what I'd be in for if I hold off a month or so. The last time I was up there was years ago I think in July but I remember we were swimming in Temple Lake and the water was actually fairly warm.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Sep 02, 2011 10:28 am 
The peak of the Lyalls Larch turn in the Chants varies from year to year, but the first or second weekend in October is usually a good bet. If you are going to err, I suggest erring a week late because the fallen needles create lovely patterns on the granite, trail and water. The upper basin needles usually turn a bit sooner than the lower basin. It's not unusual to have some fresh snow during peak larch season, ranging from a mere dusting to a foot or more of freshies in the upper basin. Expect some lingering old snow, especially this year, and a few icy patches. Yikes about the crash and burns eek.gif I hope y'all heal up fine. We've bombed down from Snow Lake a few years -- our fastest time was around 7:10 -- but fortunately nobody has taken a bad fall. (Most of our group has trail ultra experience.) We've always had plenty of energy to drink beer drink.gif , polka twirl.gif and do the chicken dance chickenleg.gif at Leavenworth Oktoberfest cheers.gif ETA: If you are a birdwatcher, you might want to err on the early side. The warbler migration is a fantastic show in late September and early October up there

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostFri Sep 02, 2011 11:27 am 
Quote:
He was bombing down the trail and slipped and fell right on his hip.
Not being a trail runner, and always watching out that I avoid a mistep on the trail even when hiking, I've wondered how trail runners manage it. It seems like the probabilities start to add up that there will be a problem if you do this kind of activity regularly. Do injuries happen very often?

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Sep 02, 2011 11:32 am 
Most -- read that almost all -- downhill trail running falls are caused by catching a toe on a rock, root, hump or other feature. With practice it's easy to avoid a toe catch if you stay aware and alert. Most experienced trail runners fall on really easy terrain when they aren't paying attention. The rock stretch of trail above Nada Lake is rife with toe catch potential. We go quite slow and are extra cautious there.

U2Kent

U2Kent
PostMon Oct 03, 2011 12:27 pm 
sounding like the weather is turning bad up there already, might have to change plans since we're going up on the weekend of the 15th. Does anybody have any suggestions for a backup 4 day trip in Washington or Oregon? 5hr radius from Portland would be ideal.