Forum Index > Trip Reports > Three Hot Babes & Crazy Bob Get Cold At Copper Glance 9/30
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostThu Oct 01, 2009 8:43 pm 
The Redhead (Barb), Brunette (Jane) and Blonde (Peg) wanted to do Copper Glance. Who am I to turn down an offer to spend the day with three lovely ladies, so Crazy Bob became the designated driver. We left Beyond Lost at 8:00 AM feeling great about 42 degrees. Our first stop was brief at the Lost River Winery where the redhead plied me with wine but as designated driver I refused. it was only 8:30 AM after all. clown.gif We cruised up the west Chewuch watching the car thermometer drop steadily to 30 degrees. And we had hardly begun to gain elevation. eek.gif Wow, we all exclaimed, heads jerking right to the sight of an ice cascade formed by a ranch irrigation system!! Awe struck, no one noticed as we zoomed past eight mile road. frown.gif Oh well, by the time we figured it out we concluded the delay would give us a warmer start at the TH.
Copper Glance Lake.jpg
Copper Glance Lake.jpg
We finally got moving up the trail a bit after 10:00 and it felt pretty nice with a couple of warm layers. The jeep road is rocky, steep and within a short distance there is a large washout which was new to those who had been here before. The bridge at Copper Glance Creek is still collapsed but looked easy to scramble over. Until I hit the ice which required some quick footwork to avoid landing on my back in the creek. Yes, it was colder then it felt.
1 Copper Glance Creek.JPG
1 Copper Glance Creek.JPG
The trail is steep, rocky in places and has has limited views until 1.5 miles where you reach Copper Glance mine.
2 Copper glance Mine.JPG
2 Copper glance Mine.JPG
3 Hot Babes at the Mine.JPG
3 Hot Babes at the Mine.JPG
We explored inside where there are two tunnels. The redhead turned left and collected a few ore samples. I contined straight in to an area that appears to have partially collapsed. There was a small sky opening either from the collapse or it was dug out for ventilation. After completing our mine exploration we met a guy coming back down trail, the only person we saw all day. The trail continues up steeply to an open sloped meadow area at 2 miles with valley and Isabella Ridge views.
4 Isabella Ridge.JPG
4 Isabella Ridge.JPG
5 Valley view.JPG
5 Valley view.JPG
At 2.5 miles it flattens before you get another Copper Glance Creek crossing and an area with much old blowdown. At 3.1 miles beneath Big Craggy and West Craggy there is a small pond which was partially frozen over. We all added a layer here as it was getting quite chilly.
6 Pond.JPG
6 Pond.JPG
7 Pond Ice.JPG
7 Pond Ice.JPG
8 Study in Gold.JPG
8 Study in Gold.JPG
Following a very steep uphill Isabella Ridge and Copper Glance Lake come into view-and what a view.
9 Copper Glance Lake .JPG
The larch surrounding the lake and up the slope contrast the emerald green of the lake and dark rock slopes.
10 Copper Glance Lake 1.JPG
10 Copper Glance Lake 1.JPG
11 Copper Glance Lake 2.JPG
11 Copper Glance Lake 2.JPG
12 Copper Glance Lake 3.JPG
12 Copper Glance Lake 3.JPG
13 Copper Glance Lake 4.JPG
13 Copper Glance Lake 4.JPG
14 Copper Glance Lake 5.JPG
14 Copper Glance Lake 5.JPG
15 Larch basin.JPG
15 Larch basin.JPG
16 Larch.JPG
16 Larch.JPG
17 Isabella & Larch.JPG
17 Isabella & Larch.JPG
A short steep descent brings you to a boulder strewn basin above the lake where we hunkered down for lunch.
18 Redhead & red blanket.JPG
18 Redhead & red blanket.JPG
Clouds were moving in and with the NW wind it was chilly when the sun disappeared. The forecast was for rain and possible snow and with the temp hovering at freezing we did not linger too long after eating. Something about needing blankets and blowing on fingers to feel them. lol.gif
19 Clouds and mountains.JPG
19 Clouds and mountains.JPG
20 Red head at her Favorite Place.JPG
20 Red head at her Favorite Place.JPG
We climbed the short steep hill above the lake and from there I scrambled up slope for this pano.
21 Isabella Ridge pano 2.jpg
21 Isabella Ridge pano 2.jpg
Big Craggy is right there as you drop back to the pond.
23 Big Craggy.JPG
23 Big Craggy.JPG
24 Brunette descends to the pond.JPG
24 Brunette descends to the pond.JPG
The hot babes looks a bit on the cool side here below West Craggy.
25 West Craggy Babes.JPG
25 West Craggy Babes.JPG
26 Cooler Babes.JPG
26 Cooler Babes.JPG
It felt good hiking briskly out and we warmed by the time we reached the open meadow back at 2 miles. I did a bit of scrambling up and down slope for photo ops. Up slope gives good photo ops with a good view above tree line of Isabella Ridge.
27 Isabella Ridge_2.jpg
27 Isabella Ridge_2.jpg
Down valley the fire south of Winthrop was evident.
28 Methow Valley fire.JPG
28 Methow Valley fire.JPG
I returned to find the blonde and redhead basking in the sun with the brunette ready to roll.
29 Cold Babes sunbathing.JPG
29 Cold Babes sunbathing.JPG
After some slipping and sliding we were all safely back to the TH. It's only a 7 miles round trip but this is not an easy hike. My GPS said 2550 feet of elevation in 3.5 miles on trail and a few hundred feet more scrambling off trail for almost 3000 feet total. The larch, lake and peaks are beautiful but you will need to work a bit to see them. It was a great day made better by wonderful hiking partners.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostThu Oct 01, 2009 9:32 pm 
Thanks for the larch eye candy! biggrin.gif

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostFri Oct 02, 2009 2:11 am 
A definitive answer to, "Where's the larch"?
What with one thing or three, a nice way to spend the day. humpy.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostFri Oct 02, 2009 7:35 am 
Sounds like Crazy Bob decided his TR's weren't getting enough views and decided to spice up the title. wink.gif I have not seen the lake melted out before. Thanks for the preview as I will be there next weekend.

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostFri Oct 02, 2009 7:41 am 
Moi? hockeygrin.gif You coming this weekend or the next? We are on the road Tuesday for TX but if you're coming this weekend drop by.

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostFri Oct 02, 2009 9:01 am 
Magellan said
Quote:
Sounds like Crazy Bob decided his TR's weren't getting enough views and decided to spice up the title. wink.gif
Looks to me like Bob decided to spice up the trip. up.gif up.gif ............................................................................ Darn younger guys have all the fun. tongue.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
twodogdad

twodogdad
PostFri Oct 02, 2009 11:54 am 
Way to go, Doctor! Did you go yesterday--or earlier? Your photos don't seem to show any snow, even higher up Isabella Ridge or Big C. Did you get a lot of precipitation the last couple of days? Thanks, tdd

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Oct 02, 2009 12:04 pm 
Babes & Larches. up.gif Yeah baby!

GeoTom

GeoTom
PostFri Oct 02, 2009 12:35 pm 
twodogdad wrote:
Your photos don't seem to show any snow, even higher up Isabella Ridge or Big C.
The snow melted due to the presence of not one, not two, but three hot babes.

Knows literally nothing
bertman

bertman
PostFri Oct 02, 2009 4:53 pm 
Very nice. Larches are quite beautiful. Bertman

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostFri Oct 02, 2009 5:01 pm 
twodogdad wrote:
Way to go, Doctor! Did you go yesterday--or earlier? Your photos don't seem to show any snow, even higher up Isabella Ridge or Big C. Did you get a lot of precipitation the last couple of days? Thanks, tdd
Trip was Wed 9/30. No fresh snow on Isabella then but we got snow accumulation on all the peaks over 5500 feet last night. In fact, we did a short hike today and snow flurries at 2600 feet. It has been raining lightly on and off here today and I expect more mountain snow tonight.

Movenhike
\m/..mmmmetal\m/

Movenhike
\m/..mmmmetal\m/
PostFri Oct 02, 2009 7:21 pm 
I have a soft spot in my heart for that area, after all that was my first Hike/Climb with Wildernessed when we bagged Big'N'West Craggy, Looks like you got in during a more comfortable season..you probably didn't run out of water either. up.gif

"Make it your Friend" -John Bull
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostSat Oct 03, 2009 4:11 am 
Lost, Winter well in the Lone Star State. We'll be thinking of you when the 6 months of murk hit us. Tom

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostSat Oct 03, 2009 4:55 pm 
Thanks. We really hate to leave when the colors are just reaching prime. frown.gif But, duty calls. nopity.gif We will be back for the best snow season in Dec and early Jan. Christmas in the Cascades cannot be beat! up.gif