Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt Freemont-Burroughs-Glacier Basin-White River-Sunrise
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
FlyingW

FlyingW
PostTue Dec 08, 2009 9:25 pm 
Mt Rainier 24-25 Jul 2009 Sunrise-Mt Freemont Lookout-Burroughs-Glacier Basin campsite-White River-Sunrise I had hiked out to Mt Freemont just a week or two earlier with snow on the trail, no bugs, and very few people (in fact I had the lookout to myself except for a crack head ground squirrel). David and I left Sunrise early in the morning on 24 Jul 09 on our way to the lookout. There wasn’t much snow left on the trails, but the bugs were out in force. Lesson learned; the long sleeve synthetic shirt I was wearing didn’t slow down the bugs a bit as they seemed to draw blood through it with ease. We made it back down to the intersection and headed up to the Burroughs, and across one last snowfield. The view along the trail explains the numerous visitors that frequent the trail. After a nice break soaking in the amazing view, and donating blood to numerous mosquito’s we continued on down the trail to the Glacier Basin camp for the night. This section of the trail gets very few visitors and is absolutely amazing when the wild flowers are out in mass like they were that day. In my opinion the camp was the worst camp in the park, and a lot of that had to do with it being a climbing camp. The next morning we broke camp, and went on our way to White River. Both of us enjoyed this trail the most out of the trip because of the flood damage, and rerouting along it. The trail between White River and Sunrise was the worst part of the trip as it goes up, up, and up. But for reward there is a nice waterfall near the top, and then it is a quick hike back to the car at Sunrise. This would make a very nice loop hike for those so inclined.
The trail up to the Burroughs.
The trail up to the Burroughs.
The trail less traveled, and oh so beautiful!
The trail less traveled, and oh so beautiful!
Down, down, and more down to the camp.
Down, down, and more down to the camp.
Mt Freemont Lookout.
Mt Freemont Lookout.
David and I.
David and I.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W
PostTue Dec 08, 2009 9:29 pm 
Nice! I was about to ask how it so snow free until I re-read carefully. smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message