Forum Index > Trip Reports > Yes, There Are Larch On Tamarack Peak 9/23/09
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostSun Sep 27, 2009 9:06 am 
The forecast was for 91 in Mazama so it seemed smart to head up for cool. But, where? I've been to Windy Pass before but on a foggy, viewless, cold day This was my chance to see the Pasayten on the other side of Tamarack Peak. I left home about 9:15 AM and enjoyed a solitary drive up Hart's Pass Road. Several campers were cooking breakfast at Hart's Pass and lots of packers were organizing in the meadow above Hart's Pass with horses and mules wandering about on the road. I parked at the first switchback about 10:00 AM where I talked to a woman out walking her dog and we watched a "loose llama" on the next switchback watching us. It had been wandering and eluding capture for a few days according to a sign at the trailhead. The PCT heads NW below Slate Peak entering wilderness at Windy Pass. If you continue in another 1.4 miles you reach a ridge line extending NE from Tmarack Peak which was my goal (initially).
1 Windy Pass & Tamarack Peak.jpg
1 Windy Pass & Tamarack Peak.jpg
It was cool so decided to run out, taking pics on the way back. Moving quickly I did pass two guys hiking with dogs a couple of miles in and they were the only people I saw all day. Don't forget to look behind for great views of the Gardner Mtns, Silverstar, Needles to the SE over Hart's Pass. To the south are Tower Mtn, Golden Horn, Azurite Peak and Ballard Mtn rising over Tatie Peak. All this practically before you leave the TH!
2 Gardners, Silverstar & Needles.JPG
2 Gardners, Silverstar & Needles.JPG
6 Azurite Pk over Tatie Pk.JPG
6 Azurite Pk over Tatie Pk.JPG
7 Tatie Pk-Golden Horn, Azurite, Ballard.JPG
7 Tatie Pk-Golden Horn, Azurite, Ballard.JPG
Pano_2.jpg
Pano_2.jpg
Below is Slate Creek and above on Slate Peak is the observation tower.
4 Slate Creek.JPG
4 Slate Creek.JPG
5 Slate Pk tower.JPG
5 Slate Pk tower.JPG
Over Slate Creek are Majestic Mtn, Neve Glacier with multiple peaks in the far distance and, closer, Crater Mtn and Jack Mtn.
8 Majestic, Crater & Jack.JPG
8 Majestic, Crater & Jack.JPG
10  Neve Glacier & Snowfield Pk, Colonial Peak, Pyramid Pk   Ruby Mtn on right.JPG
10 Neve Glacier & Snowfield Pk, Colonial Peak, Pyramid Pk Ruby Mtn on right.JPG
9 Crater Mtn.JPG
9 Crater Mtn.JPG
11 Jack Mtn.JPG
11 Jack Mtn.JPG
The history of this area is mining and you can't miss the signs of old and current mining below in the Allen Basin and Indiana Basin.
13 Roads & Mines.JPG
13 Roads & Mines.JPG
14 Mine tailings.JPG
14 Mine tailings.JPG
11 Mine Entrance.JPG
11 Mine Entrance.JPG
12 Mine tailings beneath trail.JPG
12 Mine tailings beneath trail.JPG
The yurt in the basin is used by heli skiers, I believe.
15 Yurt in Indiana Basin.JPG
15 Yurt in Indiana Basin.JPG
16 Yurt.JPG
16 Yurt.JPG
Tamarack Peak rises above the upper basin.
17 Tamarack Pk from SE.JPG
17 Tamarack Pk from SE.JPG
The first pass is Buffalo Pass and you arrive at Windy Pass in 4 miles. There are several camp sites with good views.
17A Into Windy Pass.JPG
17A Into Windy Pass.JPG
18 Pasayten Pk from Windy Pass.JPG
18 Pasayten Pk from Windy Pass.JPG
If you continue you enter wilderness, and it is well worth while as the views get even better.
Pasayten 4_2.jpg
Pasayten 4_2.jpg
Pasayten Pk & Gold Ridge_2.jpg
Pasayten Pk & Gold Ridge_2.jpg
The trail traverses talus below Tamarack Peak about 1/2 mile entering a large basin with a threaded stream and camp sites. The huckleberries are done but have now turned flaming red everywhere. The slopes are awesome!
21 Basin below NE Tamarack.JPG
21 Basin below NE Tamarack.JPG
22 Red & Green.JPG
22 Red & Green.JPG
23 Red Abounds.JPG
23 Red Abounds.JPG
24 Red Profusion.JPG
24 Red Profusion.JPG
25 Red Red Red.JPG
25 Red Red Red.JPG
From the switchbacks above the meadow you now see the craggy NE side of Tamarack Peak.
26 Tamarack Pk.JPG
26 Tamarack Pk.JPG
And Slate Peak back over Windy Pass.
27 Slate Peak over Windy Pass.JPG
27 Slate Peak over Windy Pass.JPG
At 5.3 miles I reached my destination, the ridge (6700 feet) extending NE from Tamarack Peak. The PCT descends to Foggy Pass, traverses around an unnamed peak and through Jim Pass before traversing Jim Mtn and the Devil's Backbone. I was temped but did not have that much time today. I wandered the ridge line where I discovered a spur trail heading up Tamarack Peak. Above I could see "gold", and, like the miners, I could not resist. hockeygrin.gif
28 Tamarack larches.JPG
28 Tamarack larches.JPG
The trail quickly turns into an airy scramble but not before finding the tamarack (larch) of Tamarack Peak. From Tamarack Peak the views are fabulous and the camera came out.
29 Pasayten Pk over Tamarack larch.JPG
29 Pasayten Pk over Tamarack larch.JPG
31 Center and Shull Mtns over Foggy Pass.JPG
31 Center and Shull Mtns over Foggy Pass.JPG
32 Jackita Ridge over Center Mtn.JPG
32 Jackita Ridge over Center Mtn.JPG
33  Joker Mtn & Castle Peak over Center Mtn.JPG
33 Joker Mtn & Castle Peak over Center Mtn.JPG
34 Jim Pk & Devil's Backbone-Holman Pk behind, three mile point on right.JPG
34 Jim Pk & Devil's Backbone-Holman Pk behind, three mile point on right.JPG
Pasayten 2_2.jpg
Pasayten 2_2.jpg
Pasayten 1 A_2.jpg
Pasayten 1 A_2.jpg
After lunch and many pics I started back at 12:45 enjoying the views and exploring off trail as I went. At 3:15 I arrived at the TH to find one vehicle and a couple taking photos from the TH. exclaiming about the beauty. Before I was packed up they were back in the car and gone. If they only knew!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Sep 27, 2009 9:13 am 
Way to capture an area. up.gif I have only been as far as just above Windy pass on this trail. I was a bit discouraged by the intrusion of mining. Perhaps I will go farther next time.

Hans

Hans
PostSun Sep 27, 2009 5:57 pm 
missed you by one day
I was up at Slate peak on Thurs. and Fri. with my dog Schatzie. We hiked out to Haystack on Thurs. and Tamarack on Fri. The larch were good but about a week from being at peak I thought. Still a great place to be with the great weather. I was not sure where there might be a trail up Tamarack would be so Schatzie and I went up the scree slope where the trail goes through in photo 27. A good route but it looks like I should have gone a bit more along the PCT to find the trail you took. What do you think the wood and and red strips sticking out of the summit carin were? Glad you had a good time.

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostSun Sep 27, 2009 9:35 pm 
Yes the larch are just starting to turn but best at 7000 feet right now. We hiked along the West Fork Methow today and aspen that were green 5 days ago were bright yellow today. Temps will be down near freezing all week and the colors ought to be prime in the next 5 days. I have no idea what the wood and red strips were about.