Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt. Angeles and Obstruction Peak 9.23.09
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hesman

Hesman
PostThu Sep 24, 2009 5:48 pm 
I left home at a decently early hour and arrived at the Switchback Trailhead at about 9:30ish in the morning. I got the last of my things ready to go before plodded up the trail towards Victor Pass. The day before I had decided to make a loop while climbing Mt. Angeles. I planned to climb the mountain via Route 3 and descend Route 1 as described in the 4th edition of the climbers guide. The Switchback Trail is one of those trails I have yet to mark off in red on my map, so it was all virgin territory for me. I was impressed with the layout of the switchbacks. Whoever laid out the trail gets bonus points from me. It did not seem that steep at all. Upon reaching Victor Pass, I stopped to take a rest and admire the view. Not that bad of a view if you ask me: Port Angeles, Klahhane Ridge, Victoria, the Elwha Valley, Olympus, The Needles, Mt. Anderson, Mt. Carrie just to rattle off a few items. As I began climbing up the ridge towards Middle Peak, I thought what the heck, while I'm in the area why not climb Middle Peak of Mt. Angeles and then traverse over to the main summit of Angeles? So, I bailed on my plan to follow Route 3 to Angeles and began climbing up the ridge crest to Middle Peak. It was a very easy scramble to the summit where I stopped to drink some water, take a few pictures and plot my route to the top of Mt. Angeles. I was able to follow a faint boot path from Middle Peak to Mt. Angeles and its one the easiest traverses I've done in the Olympics. On my way to the summit of Angeles from Middle Peak, I found another endemic plant to the Olympics: the Olympic Hairbell. I did not know it until I arrived home and identified it. Upon reaching the summit of Angeles, I spent about a minute looking for the Oly Reggie and found it easily enough. (It helps to know where to look. biggrin.gif ) I read all the stuff that had been written and added my two cents worth of ramblings. I ate a quick lunch and admired the fabulous view. I did not want to leave the summit. It was warm and the warm breeze kept me a bit on the cool side. After spending an hour on the summit, which I had all to myself, I began descending via Route 1 to the trail that travels between Hurricane Lodge and the Switchback Trail. It was very easy following the route down to the trail. Upon reaching the trail I saw the first hikers I had seen all day. I took a drink of water and began walking down the trail towards the Switchback Trail. After reaching the trail junction, I walked the last half a mile down to the parking lot. I saw the third and final hiker I would see today. We chatted for a few minutes before going our separate ways. I drove to the Hurricane Ridge Visitor Center next in hopes to find out a bit more information about locating a bonsai quaking aspen on Elk Mountain, which I would be attempting to find the next day. The ranger made a few phone calls to get me some more specific, but very generalized directions for me. I had heard about the bonsaied quaking aspen on the WNPS website and had contacted the field trip leader to get more specific directions, (the field trip was on a day I worked and I could not go) but I never heard back from her. After getting the directions from the ranger, I drove the road out to Obstruction Point. I parked my car and walked to the summit of Obstruction Peak to deposit the summit register. I found a USGS gravity marker on the summit and I have never seen one of these before. I was a bit befuddled on what it could do with gravity. Since the wind was still blowing, but getting colder as the day progressed, I decided that it would be too cold to bivy in the area for the night and that I would drive back down the road aways and find a spot amongst some trees to stay warmer during the night. So, I stayed at the parking lot to wait for the sun to set. I was going to make myself some warm food, but discovered as I rooted around in my trunk that I had left my stove at home. mad.gif So, I ate a small dinner with the food I did have. After the sun had set I drove back down the road and found a spot to sleep near Waterhole. As I was trying to fall asleep I heard a noise (I could not tell if it was a bird or animal) that repeated several times. After it stopped about 8-10 owls hooted in response.
Lines of Geology
Lines of Geology
Olympic Harebell
Olympic Harebell
Waterhole Ski Hut
Waterhole Ski Hut
Olympus and Alpenglow
Olympus and Alpenglow
Panos:
Elk Mountain Alpenglow
Elk Mountain Alpenglow

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostThu Sep 24, 2009 6:10 pm 
great TR, H... i love the switchback trail....it reminds me of a rotisserie, getting all body sides evenly tanned. i hike it often....on clear days, you can see another country... canada! embarassedlaugh.gif so glad you were impressed with the trail. you should come back in july when the wildflowers are in bloom up.gif i may go get Oly then at obstruction peak on saturday....i'll talk my buddies first. lovely photos....great one of the olympic harebell! i have a couple photos of this beauty:D

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostThu Sep 24, 2009 9:13 pm 
Very nice score on the Harebell! up.gif I would not have figured it out.
Elk Mountain Alpenglow
Elk Mountain Alpenglow
Love it!

trestle

trestle
PostSat Sep 26, 2009 7:53 am 
Excellent photos and TR; your info about the Switchback trail has lessened the worries of one of my partners and we have added this to our list of must-dos. Thanks for sharing!

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Trail Angel

Trail Angel
PostSat Sep 26, 2009 8:28 am 
jealous jealous jealous

Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostSun Sep 27, 2009 6:41 pm 
So pretty! Loved the pics! up.gif up.gif